đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 108 Preview (Quasar Sniffers Pick)

My apologies for Friday night.  I didn't set my alarm and didn't realize the time until almost 10:00.

All right everyone... this is gonna be predictable as all get out. It's four days until Christmas and my holiday-themed Twitter name is literally "Gonzo is the best Charles Dickens" (hell, my Twitter bio contains the phrase "Listens to Black Metal, tweets about Muppets",) so this week's holiday pick is...

Muppets%20Christmas

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

All right everyone... this is gonna be predictable as all get out. It's four days until Christmas and my holiday-themed Twitter name is literally "Gonzo is the best Charles Dickens" (hell, my Twitter bio contains the phrase "Listens to Black Metal, tweets about Muppets",) so this week's holiday pick is...

Hide contents

Muppets%20Christmas

PERFECT!!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Muppets%20Christmas

Drat! I thought we were doing Lady Gaga & the Muppets' Holiday Spectacular!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

This footage looks amazing. 

I’m looking forward to it. It looks great.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’m looking forward to it. It looks great.

Yeah, no idea it would look this good. I'm glad they are making it seem fun (which I'm pretty sure was mandated by the Beatles). I hope it doesn't completely sanitize the sessions but I don't want it to be just fighting either.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah, no idea it would look this good. I'm glad they are making it seem fun (which I'm pretty sure was mandated by the Beatles). I hope it doesn't completely sanitize the sessions but I don't want it to be just fighting either.

Considering the amount of footage they have, I would hope so, but I expect it will still be pretty sanitized. That being said, there’s a kind of myth, perpetuated by the original, that they couldn’t stand to be with each other during this time period, and I’m eager to get a fuller picture.

The film looks gorgeous, though. They’ve done an amazing job with the restoration.

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Considering the amount of footage they have, I would hope so, but I expect it will still be pretty sanitized. That being said, there’s a kind of myth, perpetuated by the original, that they couldn’t stand to be with each other during this time period, and I’m eager to get a fuller picture.

The film looks gorgeous, though. They’ve done an amazing job with the restoration.

They did break up and halt recording for a week. It's definitely not an unfounded myth. The Twickenham sessions get pretty dreary but it's definitely not all arguing.

32 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

They did break up and halt recording for a week. It's definitely not an unfounded myth. The Twickenham sessions get pretty dreary but it's definitely not all arguing.

No, I mean, clearly there were issues. I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was all roses. Just from books I’ve read and interviews I’ve seen, it wasn’t all doom and gloom. Even when the breakup was fresh, none of them was ever eager to really put a pin in it. It was clear, even with their issues, they still cared about each other. To hear their 70’s interviews (and, of course, they could be lying, but I don’t know why they would), the biggest reason there was never a reunion really came down to something as banal as scheduling conflicts. I don’t think any of them had any interest in being a full time Beatle again, which I’m sure would have been a whole universe of pressure unto itself, but they were always open to recording together. There’s an interview from like 71 or 72 (so pretty soon after their breakup) where Lennon is like, we are just never on the same page. When I want to get back together, they are all busy with something else, and then when Paul wants to get back together, I’m busy. But I’m sure it will happen. (I’m paraphrasing, of course).

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

No, I mean, clearly there were issues. I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was all roses. Just from books I’ve read and interviews I’ve seen, it wasn’t all doom and gloom. Even when the breakup was fresh, none of them was ever eager to really put a pin in it. It was clear, even with their issues, they still cared about each other. To hear their 70’s interviews (and, of course, they could be lying, but I don’t know why they would), the biggest reason there was never a reunion really came down to something as banal as scheduling conflicts. I don’t think any of them had any interest in being a full time Beatle again, which I’m sure would have been a whole universe of pressure unto itself, but they were always open to recording together. There’s an interview from like 71 or 72 (so pretty soon after their breakup) where Lennon is like, we are just never on the same page. When I want to get back together, they are all busy with something else, and then when Paul wants to get back together, I’m busy. But I’m sure it will happen. (I’m paraphrasing, of course).

There's a Ringo interview I used to have on CD (some time in the 70s but don't know when) where he said "You always hurt the ones you love. We loved each other a lot." I think the Beatles all cared about each other which is pretty evident from they were playing on each other's albums throughout their solo careers.

For all the positivity they might have had in interviews, Paul and John were still insulting each other in song (and George happily played on How Do You Sleep). And Paul has said that he thinks George never fully reconciled with John.

tldr - i don't know anything but I suspect it was complicated (but what relationship isn't?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

There's a Ringo interview I used to have on CD (some time in the 70s but don't know when) where he said "You always hurt the ones you love. We loved each other a lot." I think the Beatles all cared about each other which is pretty evident from they were playing on each other's albums throughout their solo careers.

For all the positivity they might have had in interviews, Paul and John were still insulting each other in song (and George happily played on How Do You Sleep). And Paul has said that he thinks George never fully reconciled with John.

tldr - i don't know anything but I suspect it was complicated (but what relationship isn't?)

Definitely complicated. There’s a Lennon interview where he talks about “How Do You Sleep” and how he and Paul were actually cool. I think they were definitely like family - they love each other, but could really get on each other’s nerves.

I heard about the Harrison thing. It’s pretty sad. Lennon was angry for a while that Harrison had omitted him from his autobiography. He tried to reconcile, but Harrison had felt betrayed by Lennon. I’m not sure what the specifics were. Just, like, I needed you and you weren’t there, kind of stuff. He yelled at Lennon for a bit and that was that. They never saw each other again.

9 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Definitely complicated. There’s a Lennon interview where he talks about “How Do You Sleep” and how he and Paul were actually cool. I think they were definitely like family - they love each other, but could really get on each other’s nerves.

I heard about the Harrison thing. It’s pretty sad. Lennon was angry for a while that Harrison had omitted him from his autobiography. He tried to reconcile, but Harrison had felt betrayed by Lennon. I’m not sure what the specifics were. Just, like, I needed you and you weren’t there, kind of stuff. He yelled at Lennon for a bit and that was that. They never saw each other again.

Lennon saying they were cool feels revisionist to me (at least at the time). I'm sure I've heard Paul say something like How Do You Sleep got personal or hurt or something like that. I'm also pretty sure Paul has kind of reversed his story on Too Many People from saying John perceived insults in it to finally admitting it was directed at him. I don't know if John changing his story is intentional or just misremembering and I wouldn't blame him either way. I guess I'm just glad fights I've been in aren't public. 

It's been a very long time since I read I Me Mine but John seemed over sensitive about it if he felt ignored. I remember thinking the book didn't say much of anything about anything. Half the book was pictures or song lyrics.  My recollection is that Paul and Ringo were barely mentioned too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

Lennon saying they were cool feels revisionist to me (at least at the time). I'm sure I've heard Paul say something like How Do You Sleep got personal or hurt or something like that. I'm also pretty sure Paul has kind of reversed his story on Too Many People from saying John perceived insults in it to finally admitting it was directed at him. I don't know if John changing his story is intentional or just misremembering and I wouldn't blame him either way. I guess I'm just glad fights I've been in aren't public. 

It's been a very long time since I read I Me Mine but John seemed over sensitive about it if he felt ignored. I remember thinking the book didn't say much of anything about anything. Half the book was pictures or song lyrics.  My recollection is that Paul and Ringo were barely mentioned too.

Personally, I think Harrison has a weirdest history with the Beatles. He seemed the most dismissive of it after the fact, but I also get the feeling he would have been happy to have kept going indefinitely with his one or two songs per album. Like, I don’t think he liked the crazy attention surrounding the Beatles, but, ironically, it was easier to hide in the background as Beatle George than be center of attention as Frontman George. I think that’s why he enjoyed being a part of the Wilbury’s too. He was playing with friends for fun, but he was just a part of the group and not the main person.

I have nothing to back this up. Just the vibe I’ve gotten.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Personally, I think Harrison has a weirdest history with the Beatles. He seemed the most dismissive of it after the fact, but I also get the feeling he would have been happy to have kept going indefinitely with his one or two songs per album. Like, I don’t think he liked the crazy attention surrounding the Beatles, but, ironically, it was easier to hide in the background as Beatle George than be center of attention as Frontman George. I think that’s why he enjoyed being a part of the Wilbury’s too. He was playing with friends for fun, but he was just a part of the group and not the main person.

I think there's definitely some validity in this. Even after the Beatles, he went to just play back-up for Delaney And Bonnie. I think he wanted to just play music without the stardom (which is true of a lot of musicians).

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, Cameron H. said:

Makes perfect sense.  Not everyone is cut out to be the frontman.  I know I'm not.  I'm happiest in the background or behind the scenes.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, Cameron H. said:

Is this what While My Guitar Gently Weeps refers to (the breakup) or is it something else?

I don't expect anyone to join but I plan on Kasting The Muppet Christmas Carol tonight at 9 and tomorrow night at 9.  I thought we covered this one before but nope, just Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (for Muppet Christmas movies).  I've seen MCC before but not in years.  Looking forward to revisiting it. Gonzo defines the phrase "you little dickens, you".

This is awesome.  The original version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds will be on YouTube from tomorrow afternoon (12/25 @ 2 p.m. Eastern) until January 5th.  I've listened to the Next Generation version and prefer the original.  This will have more cast members, including some of the original singers (like Justin Heyward from The Moody Blues).

• Like 1

My room is open for tonight's viewing.  I'll do one tomorrow night as well so people don't have to subscribe to Disney+ if they don't want to.