🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 59 — Human Energy

This is an episode about human energy. Not juggling squirrel energy. New York-based comedian Dave Hill visits the hatch to discuss the connections between pregnant women and their children, and the living and deceased through the power of energy.

My AC has been broken (here in Colorado) for two weeks. It was fixed yesterday for about an hour, then broke again. Between my angry children, my wife who has last all respect for me as a man (not much there to start with I know) and my own inability to sleep through sweating like a monster, I am having a really horrible few days. I finally got up this morning with two options. A) Leave and start a new life somewhere, or B) Burn down my house.

Instead I downloaded this episode and as close to tears as I was, the first conversation about 'would you have sex with something that was two inches tall', actually had me laughing so hard that I forgot my worries. Thank you guys.

• Like 3

Okay I'm justing going to put this right here and let Dara make my point for me.

• Like 2

Okay I'm justing going to put this right here and let Dara make my point for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8

Thank for posting this. Something that bugs me about this podcast is the ignorance of science, and the acceptance of any kind of pseudoscience. "Energy" is a word that has been abused by those who subscribe to "new age" (for lack of a proper umbrella term) ideas. For a podcast about ideas, it frustrates me when evidence-based, proven concepts are ignored for things shown to be bunk (this message brought to you by Bunk on IFC).

Edit- Upon listening to the last 25 minutes, it sounds like there was some more skepticism, which I appreciate.

I'm not sure why nutrition kept coming up as an Eastern idea for medicine when it is most definitely a western idea as well. I realize there are too many medical professionals that push a lot of drugs instead of working on the nutrition and exercise of their patients, but there are plenty that know that nutrition is a very important part to staying and getting healthy.

• Like 1

I think that, mostly, the gang was categorizing "Eastern medicine" as anything that isn't a prescription drug or surgery. So, like cutting out saturated fat and eating vegetables, drinking tea (antioxidants or what have you), and meditating (positive outlook literally makes you feel better, so I think that counts in terms of cultivating your well being) are grouped in with nonsense homeopathic cures. But there are unconventional/non-medical practices that have demonstrable effects, and science can usually find the mechanism through which they work, so even that stuff falls under the umbrella of science, yo!

That said, I agree that it's frustrating how little they care to really understand science, but it's mostly a comedy podcast, and they're very good at that part!

• Like 1

I couldn't scoff enough at this topic to satisfy myself, so i was forced to make an earwolf account so i could scoff more in the comment thread.

SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF

Seriously, whenever an interesting "sciency" thing comes up i have to hear swamp rock guy and uninterested tig chime in to interrupt me from learning. Kinda lame considering how much i love this podcast.

But come on.....The Sasquatch episode had more factual evidence in it than this.

I'm also going to say that the idea that the medical industry is only out to make money is very much an American concept and a symptom of the American health care system. Irelands health care system has its issues but never once have I gone to a doctor chemist or hospital and thought "well these people are clearly out to fleece me!"

Also, what exactly is this energy field the body is meant to have? Like all objects on this earth the human body has potential energy, the food we eat has chemical energy which our body converts into electrical energy, kinetic energy and heat. What is chi? How is it generated? Why can't it be measured and observed?

The scientific method requires evidence and starts from a place of scepticism.

Sorry to go on like this, I'm generally of the opinion everyone is entitled to there own opinion but eastern and alternative medicine is the worst kind of bunk, the kind that gets people killed. By all means eat healthy and take care of yourself, but if you have something seriously wrong with you for Zods sake go see a doctor and not some guy chanting in a room full of candles.

• Like 3

For years I was under the impression that Popeye actually invented scatting. Now I know it to be true. Thanks Kyle!

Beautiful story about your mother, Dave Hill.

It's a free podcast categorized under "COMEDY". Not Science. The podcast was never meant to be all about science. I'm sorry-but comments like these exhaust me. The hosts are not your Professors. It is not their job to "TEACH" anybody anything. They don't even have to go in every week and record episodes. They are 3 comedians kicking back and discussing topics that interest them. They never said they were experts at anything they talk about.

For Christ's sake.

[/end rant]

• Like 3

It's a free podcast categorized under "COMEDY". Not Science. The podcast was never meant to be all about science. I'm sorry-but comments like these exhaust me. The hosts are not your Professors. It is not their job to "TEACH" anybody anything. They don't even have to go in every week and record episodes. They are 3 comedians kicking back and discussing topics that interest them. They never said they were experts at anything they talk about.

For Christ's sake.

[/end rant]

I don't think anyone is expecting these guys to be their professors or for them to teach us about topics with 100% factual accuracy. But that doesn't mean we should only ever comment on how funny the show is and never on on the topics being discussed. They are clearly interested in this stuff as are we, so why can't we discuss it and point out when they get stuff wrong? As long as everyone is being cordial I see no problem with it. The hosts can learn things from the listeners just as we can learn things from the expert guests they have on the show, and learning is always a good thing.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is expecting these guys to be their professors or for them to teach us about topics with 100% factual accuracy. But that doesn't mean we should only ever comment on how funny the show is and never on on the topics being discussed. They are clearly interested in this stuff as are we, so why can't we discuss it and point out when they get stuff wrong? As long as everyone is being cordial I see no problem with it. The hosts can learn things from the listeners just as we can learn things from the expert guests they have on the show, and learning is always a good thing.

Nobody said everyone should only ever comment on how funny the show is. Some topics on this podcast are not always meant to be "funny". The point is, it's tiring seeing these comments about how "wrong" this person or that person is. What makes anybody any MORE right than anybody? As if these people saying "you're wrong" know EVERYTHING. Why would I purposely register for an acct JUST to say how wrong somebody is and complain about a free show? Why don't the "right" people create a podcast with all the "right facts" and we can all tune in. There's a difference between being cordial and putting the show and/or hosts down.

• Like 2

Nah, you're not going to get the argument you seem to want to foster. Everyone offered a reasoned explanation for their issue with this episode, and no one insulted the hosts or the guest. Take the time and patience to really understand and empathize with people you think you disagree with; it lets you save your vitriol and anger for causes that are truly unjust. Peace~

• Like 1

Nah, you're not going to get the argument you seem to want to foster. Everyone offered a reasoned explanation for their issue with this episode, and no one insulted the hosts or the guest. Take the time and patience to really understand and empathize with people you think you disagree with; it lets you save your vitriol and anger for causes that are truly unjust. Peace~

I merely expressed how I don't like reading the negative comments-yet I am the angry one and "wanting an argument". Weird. Whatever you say, guy. Or girl.

I also thought that there was too much specious reasoning in this episode, mostly by the guest. It bugs me when people draw conclusions that they "know" to be true based on a limited amount of information and a whole lot of personal feelings.

For example, the use of dreams as proof of some psychic connection has been debunked. Dreams occur every time we sleep, whether you remember them or not, and are created by our own minds. Whatever we dream about is based on our own thoughts and experiences. Just because someone says "I hadn't thought of this person in years, then I had a dream about them, now they're dead" isn't proof of anything, it's just someone jumping to conclusions based on emotion. There's a multitude of reasons why someone would dream something. They could have easily had something remind them of a person in their waking hours, yet not placed any importance on it to remember it until in surfaced in a dream, which also might have been forgotten except when a real life occurrence has some parallel.

The hand on the leg during acupuncture is also an example of jumping to a conclusion based on emotion and not fact. People experience phantom feelings of pressure all the time, which can be medically explained; pinched nerves, misfiring neurons, etc. The fact that he was getting acupuncture at the time lends even more evidence that this feeling was the result of a physiological event.

I do like the podcast, and don't expect a science lesson, but it does bother me when people state things as facts or believe things without really examining them objectively using the large amount of actual tested scientific data available.

Has anyone else noticed a trend of people saying 'I registered for an account just to....' on the forums of late? Is it a running joke or is society just breaking down?

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed a trend of people saying 'I registered for an account just to....' on the forums of late? Is it a running joke or is society just breaking down?
totes noticed.
  • Like 3

I registered an account just to say I noticed this too.

• Like 5

I registered an account just to say I noticed this too.

GOOD ONE.

• Like 2

Here's (what I hope is) a constructive suggestion: instead of bringing youtube clips that often take a while to get to the point, why doesn't Aaron, the researcher, bring some published articles (not even academically published, but from Time or Popular Science) instead and summarize them or read the salient points. The gang doesn't need to immediately agree (skepticism makes for some good convo) but it gives a point to base the discussion.

If not, I will still of course listen and enjoy the podcast. Please, someone register just to disagree with me.

Here's (what I hope is) a constructive suggestion: instead of bringing youtube clips that often take a while to get to the point, why doesn't Aaron, the researcher, bring some published articles (not even academically published, but from Time or Popular Science) instead and summarize them or read the salient points. The gang doesn't need to immediately agree (skepticism makes for some good convo) but it gives a point to base the discussion.

If not, I will still of course listen and enjoy the podcast. Please, someone register just to disagree with me.

I think the idea of Aaron summarizing articles from Popular Science is not just a good idea, it is a GREAT IDEA! At least once, I want to hear what that would sound like. SOOOOO many gulps.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this