🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
grudlian.

Episode 256.5 - Minisode 256.5

"Sometimes the earwolf boards suck ass" - Paul Scheer

Cool. Thanks, Paul. It was really cool of you to say that.

I think it's fine that you spend more time on your discord than the message boards. I didn't join these boards for interaction with the hosts. It makes more sense to be on discord or twitter because more people are on those platforms. They are newer and fresher and message boards are slowly dying. I use discord regularly and joined Paul's discord (but am not posting because I'm not vibing with it which is totally fine). It seems incredibly rude to the people running the message boards and the people who post here who have made as welcoming a community as I've found on the internet.

The only time the boards have been bad are 1. When outsiders come to post once to complain anytime a lesbian is a guest on the show then never ever post again and 2. the one time they were down to change servers (which is a totally understandable thing).

So, I don't know what Paul is talking about on saying the boards "suck ass" but there's no way to hear it that's not insulting. Because in no way do they suck ass.

• Like 4

Yea c'mon Paul. I generally agree that boards are passe and whatnot, but this one is constantly nice people just having a fun time talking about trash movies.

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't know if Paul still does the text messaging thing, but I considered texting him just to (respectfully) say how rude that was to us and the people who run the boards. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah, I don't know if Paul still does the text messaging thing, but I considered texting him just to (respectfully) say how rude that was to us and the people who run the boards. 

I Tweeted at him, but more jokingly. A text to him might be a good idea. 

I think, and I could be wrong, he just meant the platform sucks ass. He’s been saying that ever since Earwolf changed things up from the classic forums. I’ve privately wondered if he never took the time to customize his experience. I remember the default was originally a garish bright white which looked terrible and hurt my eyes. We Shannon had to come in the boards and tell us how to change the color scheme manually. I remember that soon after he specifically complained about it on a mini. He really hasn’t been present on the boards since. I can’t really think of another reason why they would suck. I find them far simpler than most sites, and not the headache inducing cacophony of Geneva or Discord.

But yeah, just saying it “sucks ass” is kind of a kick in the teeth. The people are great here, and always have been. Saying the forums “suck ass” really deters people from taking the time to come here and make an account. It sounds like we’re all fighting, nasty, and gross — which couldn’t be further from the truth. We are all welcoming (except for the occasional asshole). I don’t even remember the last time we’ve had a significant negative experience.

Anyway, I wish @paulscheerwould clarify that it’s not the people here who suck ass. I would love if more people would join up. 🙂 They are a fun place, but no one is going to want to come hang out if the host gives off the impression that they’re a cesspool.

• Like 2

I think text is fine, Paul has written me back a few times. He uses it more sparingly nowadays though, I think. Honestly, and ironically, the best place to hit him up is probably his Discord.

• Like 1

And, I know we’ve said this before, but the forums are a great place to have a conversation. Where you can laugh and joke to well reasoned posts that aren’t just, GEOSTOOOOOOOORM! 

10 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I Tweeted at him, but more jokingly. A text to him might be a good idea. 

I think, and I could be wrong, he just meant the platform sucks ass. He’s been saying that ever since Earwolf changed things up from the classic forums. I’ve privately wondered if he never took the time to customize his experience. I remember the default was originally a garish bright white which looked terrible and hurt my eyes. We Shannon had to come in the boards and tell us how to change the color scheme manually. I remember that soon after he specifically complained about it on a mini. He really hasn’t been present on the boards since. I can’t really think of another reason why they would suck. I find them far simpler than most sites, and not the headache inducing cacophony of Geneva or Discord.

But yeah, just saying it “sucks ass” is kind of a kick in the teeth. The people are great here, and always have been. Saying the forums “suck ass” really deters people from taking the time to come here and make an account. It sounds like we’re all fighting, nasty, and gross — which couldn’t be further from the truth. We are all welcoming (except for the occasional asshole). I don’t even remember the last time we’ve had a significant negative experience.

Anyway, I wish @paulscheerwould clarify that it’s not the people here who suck ass. I would love if more people would join up. 🙂 They are a fun place, but no one is going to want to come hang out if the host gives off the impression that they’re a cesspool.

I believe the default view of the boards is now what it used to be. I don't know how long it's been this way, but I suspect a long while.

I get message boards are outdated but, honestly, discord functions almost exactly like a message board. It doesn't quite allow for different topics as well in a long term scenario (at least for different episodes of HDTGM). I use discord. So, this isn't just old man yells at cloud. If he's not into message boards and prefers discord, fine. If he said message boards in general suck, fine. But to say this one in particular does, it's a jerk move.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I believe the default view of the boards is now what it used to be. I don't know how long it's been this way, but I suspect a long while.

I get message boards are outdated but, honestly, discord functions almost exactly like a message board. It doesn't quite allow for different topics as well in a long term scenario (at least for different episodes of HDTGM). I use discord. So, this isn't just old man yells at cloud. If he's not into message boards and prefers discord, fine. If he said message boards in general suck, fine. But to say this one in particular does, it's a jerk move.

True. I’m not sure what’s gained by saying the forums suck ass. All it does is drive people away — which isn’t good for anyone. He could have just been like, “Hey, I’m on Discord now, and I’m pretty active there if you want to hit me up and say ‘hi.’”

Again, I don’t think it was malicious, but most of us visit the forums at least once a day to chat with one another. We’ve all developed healthy, positive relationships with one another and are always welcoming. I don’t get it.

• Like 1

I do find Discord and boards quite different; mainly one of being able to easier use Discord on a phone and the quick, direct conversation style of it. In some ways since I started using it, I use Twitter less; it feels more analogous to that to me.

But I would think a podcast like Paul's where he talks about our written-out theories and stuff would need the message board where people can put lasting posts. So it's all very odd he said that. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

UPDATE: 

It's good he clarified that but that definitely didn't come off as a joke. He's joked about the boards before and it's been fine and I've defended it as jokes.

I'll agree with him and almostaghost that discord is a much friendlier platform for phone use. I think it's a much more robust format because it allows voice chat and streaming. So, bemoaning discord over message boards is a bit like arguing for myspace in the year 2021. As you said earlier, he could have just promoted the discord without the dig on the boards. 

The "don't spread this misinformation" is a real " this is fake news" kind of claim though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

It's good he clarified that but that definitely didn't come off as a joke. He's joked about the boards before and it's been fine and I've defended it as jokes.

I'll agree with him and almostaghost that discord is a much friendlier platform for phone use. I think it's a much more robust format because it allows voice chat and streaming. So, bemoaning discord over message boards is a bit like arguing for myspace in the year 2021. As you said earlier, he could have just promoted the discord without the dig on the boards. 

The "don't spread this misinformation" is a real " this is fake news" kind of claim though.

I took the "don't spread this misinformation" to be the joke he was referring to, not what he said on the ep. I could be wrong. It could be both.  Who knows? If only there was a platform that allowed people to express their thoughts fully and clearly without having to worry about character count :P 

Yeah, the forums do suck for phone. I agree with that. But, again, it's about the platform. Discord, Geneva, Twitter, aren't made for long discussions, just eruptions of spontaneous word vomit. The forums are better on a computer because you are generally typing and expressing more than "KUMITE!"

• Like 1

Yea, if we want to share links, joke around, share what we're watching, be like 'hey good morning friends!', post a meme, etc. Discord is pretty fun! And very bonding. I'm in one for another pod and the channels are always having great conversation. We've also started helping each other with fitness, and there's book clubs, fantasy sports leagues, and all sorts of community things rising out of it. I haven't tried the streaming watchalong things on there yet.

(To note, I have not once posted in Paul's, but I have glanced around it. Maybe it will get there. I believe it requires heavy moderation.)

That's why I test-started one for Musical Mondays, just so maybe we can keep in touch better (and on wider topics). (I'm fine with it not catching on though lol.)

Anyway, I don't think the two things should be at odds. In fact, they should and could work together. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I took the "don't spread this misinformation" to be the joke he was referring to, not what he said on the ep. I could be wrong. It could be both.  Who knows? If only there was a platform that allowed people to express their thoughts fully and clearly without having to worry about character count :P 

Yeah, the forums do suck for phone. I agree with that. But, again, it's about the platform. Discord, Geneva, Twitter, aren't made for long discussions, just eruptions of spontaneous word vomit. The forums are better on a computer because you are generally typing and expressing more than "KUMITE!"

For sure.

I think in depth discussion is dependent on the size of the board as much as anything else. I've had some in depth discussion on discord, but something the size of Paul's discord is probably going to be difficult. Even on a message board. 

Presumably the GEOSTOOOOORM!/KUMITE!!!! posts go away because how often can you realistically say that? But, I guess, if people are having fun, let them have fun.

• Like 2

Paul has been talking to me and @JammerLeaon Twitter. It’s too difficult to post it all here though. He’s asking if we could build out our own discord that could function like the forums. I have no idea how to do that, but I’d be open to it.

• Like 1

So A Gnome Named Gnorm. This is when Anthony Michael Hall's film career hits his lowest post-Brat Pack.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea, if we want to share links, joke around, share what we're watching, be like 'hey good morning friends!', post a meme, etc. Discord is pretty fun! And very bonding. I'm in one for another pod and the channels are always having great conversation. We've also started helping each other with fitness, and there's book clubs, fantasy sports leagues, and all sorts of community things rising out of it. I haven't tried the streaming watchalong things on there yet.

(To note, I have not once posted in Paul's, but I have glanced around it. Maybe it will get there. I believe it requires heavy moderation.)

That's why I test-started one for Musical Mondays, just so maybe we can keep in touch better (and on wider topics). (I'm fine with it not catching on though lol.)

Anyway, I don't think the two things should be at odds. In fact, they should and could work together. 

For sure this last part. Discord is fine. Message boards are fine. I like both and, even though they can overlap in function a lot, they don't have to. Maybe they shouldn't and maybe they can. It was really just the "earwolf boards suck ass" said in a, as I heard it, not a joking at all tone. Promote discord all you want but not at the expense of us and the people who run/moderate these boards for earwolf.

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Paul has been talking to me and @JammerLeaon Twitter. It’s too difficult to post it all here though. He’s asking if we could build out our own discord that could function like the forums. I have no idea how to do that, but I’d be open to it.

I've never run one but if you open it to the public as an HDTGM board, that's probably a lot of work to moderate or even maintain a sentence of control of.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I've never run one but if you open it to the public as an HDTGM board, that's probably a lot of work to moderate or even maintain a sentence of control of.

That's my thought too. I mean, they would need probably need to pay someone to moderate it -- which is doubtful

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

For sure this last part. Discord is fine. Message boards are fine. I like both and, even though they can overlap in function a lot, they don't have to. Maybe they shouldn't and maybe they can. It was really just the "earwolf boards suck ass" said in a, as I heard it, not a joking at all tone. Promote discord all you want but not at the expense of us and the people who run/moderate these boards for earwolf.

That's how it came off to me at the time. We can all co-exist. There's no reason to push anything down in order to raise something up. 

• Like 2

I laughed when I heard the message board dis. I guess we were all seeing that coming but it's still unexpected. 

Hearing that, as well as listening to the Burlesque episode/HDTGM Reminisce, it made me realize how far the 'cast has come-- from a simple, edgy, in-your-face riff-off between comedians and into an actual captial-B Brand. At some point, Paul & Co. took the same route that most comedians do. They all start off with the who-gives-a-shit attitude until, you know, there's a wide audience, families, and well, reasons to actually give a shit. Think about early Eddie Murphy and early Robin Williams versus their late career. I suppose most audiences and even their entertainers have come to expect a level of interaction, and immediate interactiviy, in 2021 that wasn't possible (certainly not at the current level) in 2011, or 2001, or at any time.  But this interactivity either stays in the extremes and yields a community like 4chan or Louis CK fandom, or somehow dilutes to a moderate level as includes as much as possilbe. Certainly that's a Good Thing, of course! But change is a necessary consequence of time.

That said, I don't think Paul has any obligation to speak to me directly as a listener/fan, nor do I desire for him to actually listen to me, either. HDTGM exists outside of my fandom of it, so why should there be an expectation for involvement, which is supposedly the selling point for Discord, his direct-message app, or even to leave phone messages?  

On 1/9/2021 at 1:47 AM, Cameron H. said:

That's how it came off to me at the time. We can all co-exist. There's no reason to push anything down in order to raise something up. 

I took it as a joke, although one I did both laugh and wince at. It hurt, yeah, but if delivered in a different way, was more in spirit of how The Balcony "sucks ass." And Balconiers get roasted and laugh at themselves. Or they used to get. As I pontificated above, it's probably a joke that doesn't work with HDTGM's current brand, which has softened its humour and shies away from personal attacks (and even reviewing particular movies) that they used to not be so shy about. 

I'm glad you reached out to him, though. I know he genuinely cares about people in his audience, and I think you speak for all of us here.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DannytheWall said:

I'm glad you reached out to him, though. I know he genuinely cares about people in his audience, and I think you speak for all of us here.  

I meant to respond to this earlier. @AlmostAGhost, @JammerLeaand I continued the conversation with Paul beyond what I posted here. After speaking with him, it’s clear we all want the same thing: a thriving community. However, as he pointed out, Earwolf has done a pretty piss poor job of making the forums accessible (not his words).

A few years ago, they stopped creating threads here, basically leaving it up to us here to do it. In and of itself, I don’t think that’s terrible, but as Paul pointed out, if you are a new poster, there’s not an easy way to access them. It’s easy for us because we visit frequently enough, but if you go to the Earwolf homepage and click the “join the discussion” button on any given episode, it takes you to a broken link. Also, a lot of the “contact” information redirects people to Twitter, Facebook, etc. As you can imagine, this must be very discouraging to people who want to post here. Of course, none of us had any idea about this. It’s no wonder the forums have been seeing less and less traffic.

Anyway, we’ve been trying to put together an official Discord for the show that will mirror the set up of the forums as close as possible. I hate to abandon forums here, as I do prefer them for a lot of reasons, but without Earwolf’s support, I don’t know what else we can do.

I will say, having played around with Discord since Friday, it’s not bad. It’s definitely different, but like you were saying about change — it comes whether we want it or not. 

• Like 2

I might want to walk back some of my defense of the forums. I wasn't aware you couldn't reach them from the front page since I just have them bookmarked. So, I generally don't go to the front page at all. That's technically not an issue with the forums I guess but it's an issue.

• Like 2