🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
grudlian.

Episode 256.5 - Minisode 256.5

42 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I might want to walk back some of my defense of the forums. I wasn't aware you couldn't reach them from the front page since I just have them bookmarked. So, I generally don't go to the front page at all. That's technically not an issue with the forums I guess but it's an issue.

Yeah, perhaps stupidly, I just assumed when we created a thread they’d magically link up. I totally get why the forums are an issue now. It would have been nice for some support from Earwolf, but I guess that just wasn’t going to happen.

Earwolf: We’ve cut off ease of access to the forums.

Also Earwolf: The forums are clearly dying so we should stop supporting them.

• Like 1

It looks like you can still access the forums from the front page, but it only leads to the main forums (which is logical). While I would necessarily think the episode specific thread needs to be linked from each episode's page, I do think at least linking to the podcast's specific forum would make sense. 

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to hear that the forums aren't easy to access now, especially with this being a source of material Paul uses for corrections and omissions. If people can't easily find the forums to participate, then participation is going to continue to be low.

• Like 1

The talk about lack of support reminds me when I couldn't log back into my account for about two months as I had my password/username logged in and it got cleared when I updated my browser. Tried contacting support and got zilch for it, and was only able to get back on by process of elimination of my login combos. It's also kind of telling when this is really one of the only forums still going on the page as other shows have fallen off the map or haven't even been given one, like How Did This Get Played when I checked a few months back, though that could have changed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RyanSz said:

The talk about lack of support reminds me when I couldn't log back into my account for about two months as I had my password/username logged in and it got cleared when I updated my browser. Tried contacting support and got zilch for it, and was only able to get back on by process of elimination of my login combos. It's also kind of telling when this is really one of the only forums still going on the page as other shows have fallen off the map or haven't even been given one, like How Did This Get Played when I checked a few months back, though that could have changed.

Some do, but most don’t. This may be a case of correlation not equaling causation, but, iirc, I think the CBB forum had to get locked down over some trolls a couple years back. They eventually re-opened, but with nowhere near the same amount of traffic — which affected some of the other shows. My guess is they were just done with that bullshit and pretty much determined that the forums were more trouble than they were worth — especially when they can be outsourced elsewhere for free.

One of the reasons I like the forums is because you have access to multiple shows. When they were around, I would post on IWTT, Nerd Poker, and CBB. Now if I want to discuss Unspooled I have to either have a Geneva or FB account, Discord (eventually) for HDTGM, etc. It was nice to have all your shows centralized.

8 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I think this has always been the case. When I signed up, I had trouble just posting for some reason. I thought maybe I missed a confirmation email or maybe there was a wait time to limit bots or something. I sent a message to support and never heard back. I eventually just made a different account.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I had similar problems where I lost my password/username combo and just couldn't get back in no matter what I did. That's why my username has "2.0" on it now. I had to re-register and leave the old one behind.

• Like 1