🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Lucky Day (2019)

A self described semi-sequel to the cult heist film Killing Zoe (despite there being really no connection to that film outside of a similar sounding name for the main character.) Watching this it's clear that Roger Avary had a single idea and has ridden it into the ground after breaking away from Quentin Tarantino. Not only are there numerous horrible French accents, extreme violence for the sake of it, and quirky characters that add nothing to the movie, but it wastes some good character actors in Crispin Glover and Clifton Collins Jr. The lead actor is easily the best part of the film which is a shame as he looks to be genuinely having a good time in this horrid film and portrays his role of an ex-con really well. The movie also can be covered solely for the fact that there's a scene of Crispin Glover utilizing a lowrider which up to this point I didn't know that I needed in my life.

I have heard that this movie is wild and quirky and Crispin Glover steals the show.

It is on my Amazon Prime/Hulu watchlist as it is available on both services. Maybe I will have to watch it soon and see if it is zany and insane enough for HDTGM.

8 hours ago, CNU2007 said:

I have heard that this movie is wild and quirky and Crispin Glover steals the show.

It is on my Amazon Prime/Hulu watchlist as it is available on both services. Maybe I will have to watch it soon and see if it is zany and insane enough for HDTGM.

It's not crazy like some of the Nic Cage movies that have been covered and it's not good with no real plot, especially if you don't realize it's a spiritual sequel to Killing Zoe and what happened in that film. Glover is the second best part of the film behind the lead but his fake accent ruins his character, especially when they do a meta commentary on it by saying he's doing a put-upon accent because he wants to be French. That would be fine if every other French accent in the movie, and there are a few, aren't just as terrible as his so there is no barometer of an "authentic" accent in this universe. And given the history of the fallout between Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary, with Avary claiming that QT stole all of his ideas for scripts, this really exemplifies his lack of ANY real ideas after what they had in Pulp Fiction, if he had any past characters that were caricatures and over the top violence. During the Reindeer Games episode the crew made a joke about old-school directors like John Frankenheimer feeling like they needed to up their game after Pulp Fiction came out and had to be more inventive in their violence and action, this movie makes Avary literally a parody of those directors who were trying to ape the style he was a part of ushering in with Pulp Fiction.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this