🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 60 — Quantum Physics

What do you get when you cross a quark with a gluon? Honestly, we still don't even think those are real words. Baby genius turned adult genius/comedian David Relyea is educating us today on Quantum Physics and using a lot of words we've never heard before. Plus, Tig updates us on life off of the grid. Travel inside the hatch, and inside an atom or two, on Professor Blastoff!

• Like 1

Professor Blastoff has officially jumped the shark, last weeks episode was bad enough, and now this? The only bad part is that I really enjoy Kyle's contribution to the show, and until last week also really liked what Tig brought. Now I see that you guys having an interest in science doesn't necessarily mean that you have an interest in good science. I've been listening since the very first episode, and you guys had a really good run. I really hope to see more great from Kyle and Tig in the future.

• Like 2

I can't think of doing anything more awesome than jumping over a shark. Congratulations, everyone! We did it!

• Like 3

I wish I would have paid more attention and applied myself in Physics class during my junior year in high school. I've missed out on so many fascinating things about the world of Physics.

I am impressed there are 21-year-old kids creating logins for the express purpose of making a Happy Days reference in 2012 to voice their support for "good science" in a comedy podcast. How the world has changed.

• Like 6

Since I don't care very much about learning things through a comedy podcast, I'm glad the PB crew just use loose scientific topics as launching points to make jokes and tell anecdotes.

• Like 3

Thank goodness 'Angry Algebra Teacher' and "Deeter" saved me from learning things through a comedy podcast.

• Like 1

I could care less if any show ever actually talks about any of the topics in the future and I demand that all future discussions about quantum physics begin with a heated debate about who is who in terms of The Breakfast Club casting equals.

• Like 1

I thought this was an awesome episode. I'm one of those that think they occasionally step on their guests too often and prevent the conversation from going anywhere, but that was not the case this time. I enjoy Professor Blastoff the most when a balance between conversation and fun is reached, and this episode did it really well.

• Like 2

Yay! I've been waiting for this episode since the computers one.

But still....hard to listen to the smart guy when the giggly children in the back mumble things.

But what i got to hear was very interesting! and confusing!

Hopefully I'll get a better grasp of it after some "Wikipediaing"

Keep talking about science philosophy and metaphysical stuff guys, don't turn this into a podcast where you just talk about nothing like some people want here. That's very boring. I'm sorry to hear that people who listen just tune out the guests. Whats the point? And who would guest on a podcast where the listeners just want to hear them get interrupted? Do you people just half listen while waiting for swamp rock guy(or any impression)? and then go "WEEEE JOKEY JOKES!"...sounds lame. I like a good mix. :)

As long as there is story time in the beginning ,science discussion in the middle, and horribly messy endings with forced laughter and bad emails, this will still be my favorite podcast.

Great guest. great cast. Keep doing more like these!!!

• Like 3

"...and beef, United States-wise..." That totally made my day.

It had been too long since we had some good ol' fashioned riddles, so that made my day even more.

Do you people just half listen while waiting for swamp rock guy(or any impression)? and then go "WEEEE JOKEY JOKES!"

Yes. Yes I do.

It's rude and inconsiderate to invite a guest to take time out of his (or her) day to come to your studio, ask them questions, and do nothing but talk over their answers. I suppose that's the joke, but are you not competent enough interviewers\comedians to wait and make jokes between, and informed by, the guest's replies? You might as well play a recording of a science lecture in the background and yell "swamp rock" over it. At least you wouldn't come off as assholes.

The podcast would be better served by losing the guests and just having Kyle and Tig pile onto whatever nonsense David espouses.

It's rude and inconsiderate to invite a guest to take time out of his (or her) day to come to your studio, ask them questions, and do nothing but talk over their answers. I suppose that's the joke, but are you not competent enough interviewers\comedians to wait and make jokes between, and informed by, the guest's replies? You might as well play a recording of a science lecture in the background and yell "swamp rock" over it. At least you wouldn't come off as assholes.

The podcast would be better served by losing the guests and just having Kyle and Tig pile onto whatever nonsense David espouses.

I'm Sorry, they weren't expecting the shipment until Tuesdee.

Thats funny you feel this way. I always thought that is exactly what makes this podcast as great as it is. At this point in the history of this podcast do any of you actually care that you may not learn something from it? There is no other podcast that I listen to where I laugh as much and as hard as this one.

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure the voiceover in the first clip was done by John Astin of The Addams Family fame.

I wanted to add that I like the format of the show the way it is, but there are times when there's a little too much overtalking. It's not only the guest that can get talked over, but jokes get obscured too. It's hard to avoid when you have 4 or 5 people trying to so a show, so it's not a huge point of contention for me.

I am impressed there are 21-year-old kids creating logins for the express purpose of making a Happy Days reference in 2012 to voice their support for "good science" in a comedy podcast. How the world has changed.

I disagree., Not with your statement but with your Happy Days reference. I for one use that phrase all the time and never have i once watched an episode of that show.

Sorry about all of this, Tig, Kyle and David. What a shame.

• Like 1

I didn't have a problem with this episode. I always enjoy the talk-time before they channel in the professor and it was fun to hear a "what's nuts?!" again as well as another one of Kyle's famous riddles. :lol:

I guess if you're hoping to learn something scholarly from the show, they should narrow down the topic since likely no one (expert or not) could cover "quantum physics" in an hour. I guess if you're really hoping to get a handle on quantum physics and the like, you should check out iTunesU-they'd probably have you covered and a lot of them are free to download.

I would like to hear an episode that is unmistakably new (as in not recorded 3 weeks ago). to get an update on projects like Clown Service and promote Tig's kickstarter account as well as upcoming shows. I also expect to see a photo of this lego train set once she's got it all put together ;)

• Like 1

I would like to hear an episode that is unmistakably new (as in not recorded 3 weeks ago). to get an update on projects like Clown Service and promote Tig's kickstarter account as well as upcoming shows. ;)

Same here.

I always enjoy Kyle's riddles, but this episode's riddles were simply divine. My face hurt really really bad from laughing.

I guess if you're hoping to learn something scholarly from the show, they should narrow down the topic since likely no one (expert or not) could cover "quantum physics" in an hour.

I'm not hoping for anything scholarly at all. I just want them to allow their guests to answer the questions the hosts of the show posed.

You completely missed the point Megan, don't bother replying.

Oh. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I did not intend to offend; nor was my post directed at you, A Plonk. I totally get where you're coming from. It was difficult to tell if they had Dr. Relyea in the hatch as a friend/comedian or as an expert in the field since they seem to find people with these dualistic qualities. Perhaps they'll readdress the topic in the future. I do think it would be helpful for such complex topics if they narrowed it down a bit...maybe find someone who knows and can effectively describe how Dave's LED flashlight works so he can go about his day. :)

Sign in to follow this