🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 41 — Spider-Man 3

OK so I know I'm resurrecting a thread from 2 years ago but I was catching up on the Spider-Man 3 podcast today and I swear I nearly bumped into the living image of Sam Raimi! It clearly wasn't him because I was in a supermarket in London but fuck me it looked like him. Of course I gave him the finger guns.

(no I didn't)

OK so I know I'm resurrecting a thread from 2 years ago but I was catching up on the Spider-Man 3 podcast today and I swear I nearly bumped into the living image of Sam Raimi! It clearly wasn't him because I was in a supermarket in London but fuck me it looked like him. Of course I gave him the finger guns.

(no I didn't)

My Dad an I once had a screaming argument at a Scientology Sponsored Easter Egg Hunt* because he insisted a homeless guy was Tom Cruise. It was not. It looked nothing like him. Stop it Dad.

* I grew up in Clearwater, Florida, the headquarters of Scientology. The church would often sponsor events around town to try to keep us all from hating them because they own most of Downtown and pay no taxes which really fucked up municipal services. They have an amazing Christmas village with a simulated fake snowfall every night. Also, they bus all their "volunteers" to see the new Cruise and Travolta movies on opening day. It is a weird town.

• Like 1

Catching up on missed episodes, and I was afraid to listen to this one, but not because I hate the movie.

But for a few (seriously annoying) flaws, I think that Spider-Man 3 is one of the most comic-accurate Spider-Man films out there. It's one of the few things I disagree with almost every single thing the panel complains about, but I can see how they'd be confused.

Just a few notes:

• Peter is good at the piano because Aunt May is a piano teacher, as explained to Joel McHale's bank manager character in Spider-Man 2.
  • Sam Raimi didn't want to include Venom in the movie, but it was forced on him by Sony and Marvel for marketing.
  • Black-suited Spider-Man does do something evil -- he kills Sandman. Just because Sandman didn't actually die is irrelevant.
  • The reason why "cool" Peter is such a dork is because Peter Parker is a dork. The symbiote just makes him aggressive, it doesn't make him cool.
  • Harry Osborn (James Franco) adapted the original Green Goblin's glider into something he was familiar with using. Being a rich playboy, this translates to a snowboard.
  • Gwen Stacy was not a model in the comic, but Mary Jane was (Mary Jane and Gwen's characters are actually swapped in the Sam Raimi movies).

Anyway, thanks for the awesome podcasts. Keep it up!