🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Street Fighter (1994)

This was on Cinemax over the weekend and I watched it for the first time in almost 20 years. Good lord is this movie ridiculous.

• Like 1

I remember about a year ago how when I bought my Blu-Ray player I told myself I was going to keep my Blu-Ray collection "pure", like only the best movies. Yeah, that idea lasted about a week until I saw THIS on sale at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks...

• Like 1

... this is like my favorite video game movie.

It spawned my favorite video game movie adaptation video game.

It spawned my favorite video game movie adaptation video game.

How it hasn't spawned a musical by now, I have no idea.

• Like 2

"Change the Channel!" should be a showstopper.

• Like 1

And then of course there would be another film based on that musical based on that video game based on that movie based on a video game. I'm dizzy....

I call novelization rights to the musical.

• Like 1

It's pretty sad that this was Raul Julia's last movie

• Like 1

It's pretty sad that this was Raul Julia's last movie

He doesn't look like a guy that could take JCVD in a fight anyway, but it looks even worse knowing that he's beating up a dying man.

Speaking of Mann, Juwanna Mann (and guy that was killed in an outhouse in Friday the 13th Part 5) himself, Miguel A. Nunez Jr., was in this thing! That's never good news for anyone!

I remember being 11 or 12 when this movie came out in theatres, and my parent's friends had a son who was old enough to drive and took us to see it during Christmas break.

I remember walking out of that movie and thinking this was the first bad movie that I've ever seen in my entire life (at that time). I still feel bad for dragging him and spending money on this movie.

Today I proudly own the DVD and pop it in from time to time for a good laugh. So many good one-liners, and Raul Julia's performance is awesome!

Van Damme's french accent for an American character, terrible video game to movie translations (unintelligible plot), back in a time when LL Cool J still made music (more than one of his songs is in the movie) and America kind of knew who Kylie Minogue was (bad acting). Terrible sound, most of the moves the characters aren't known for aren't present and seems put together by a ten year old caught in a fever dream. Gets my vote...

I loves me some Kylie, but yeah, acting isn't her strong suit. Plus, poor Raul Julia. For this to be your final film, talk about adding insult to injury.

I loves me some Kylie, but yeah, acting isn't her strong suit. Plus, poor Raul Julia. For this to be your final film, talk about adding insult to injury.

The bigger insult was that he was basically forced into the role by his kids who begged him to take the role, even though he was well into his battle with cancer at that point. But for all of that, he is the best part of the movie and gives a genuinely great performance, because he realizes what movie he's in.

The bigger insult was that he was basically forced into the role by his kids who begged him to take the role, even though he was well into his battle with cancer at that point. But for all of that, he is the best part of the movie and gives a genuinely great performance, because he realizes what movie he's in.

I heard the story a little differently. The way I heard it, he knew his time was limited, so he let his kids choose the role. (The fact that it probably paid very well didn't hurt, either.)

Incidentally, of all six or so video game-based movies I've seen in my life, this is probably my favorite*. It's so over-the-top and looney that I can't help but love it as a comedy, which I suspect is partly what the filmmakers intended.

* The only decent competitor is "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within." Go ahead and make fun of my terrible taste.

I'd really like to see this one done, along with Double Dragon. The 90's had some weird movies that shied away from the source material in odd ways. How hard is it to do a martial arts tournament movie?

I heard the story a little differently. The way I heard it, he knew his time was limited, so he let his kids choose the role. (The fact that it probably paid very well didn't hurt, either.) Incidentally, of all six or so video game-based movies I've seen in my life, this is probably my favorite*. It's so over-the-top and looney that I can't help but love it as a comedy, which I suspect is partly what the filmmakers intended. * The only decent competitor is "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within." Go ahead and make fun of my terrible taste.

How could you like Street Fighter over such quality as Super Mario Brothers? /sarcasm.

Speaking of Mann, Juwanna Mann (and guy that was killed in an outhouse in Friday the 13th Part 5) himself, Miguel A. Nunez Jr., was in this thing! That's never good news for anyone!

yes!!!! i thought that guy looked familiar. "DJ" had some of the best lines in the movie...

i have a question --- do you think the hosts are familiar with street fighter II the video game? it's interesting to listen to them talk about certain movies where they are not familiar with the "source material" (case in point: super mario bros. where it seemed like none of them had really played a lot of that game). this movie has a LOT of nods to the characters of street fighter II or what was it, tournament edition? i played a lot of that game when i was in elementary school. but i totally recognized the giant bell from being in the background of M. bison's level. (which was NOT called... wait for it... BISONOPOLIS!)

my "what the FUCK!?!??!" moment: during the final storm on M. bison's compound, when jean claude van damme's pistol runs out of bullets, and this old man notices this and turns to flee, JCVD throws a knife and it sticks in the old man's back murdering him... the look of elation on JCVD's face??? he's so happy he just murdered this old man with a throwing knife in the back.

(that, and BISONOPLIS)

I've been waiting for you guys to do Street Fighter since the show started! PLEASE do this movie! It's my favorite bad movie of all time.

They can't, because there's just too much controversy over what exactly a street fighter is, it just might be too offensive.

• Like 7

Sign in to follow this