🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 168 — Breaking Bread

it seems that the influx of negative nancys has started around the same time bang bang hit ifc.. the more successful you are, the more people hate on you.

I'm going to need a Wesley-a-day-calendar to keep me from losing my $hit on the negative people on the forums. You are a refreshing voice of reason.

On a side note, Besser was great as always. What is upsetting about what he did was that...did he ever REALLY blow things out of proportion that much or flat out lie? Hitler Youth, Penn State, Catholic Church. It's upsetting because the basis of everything was real. Can you believe that? God how I wish he was just working off suggestions of nonsense like 'what if Joe Pat harbored and hid a child rapist?', 'What if the new Pope was a HITLER YOUTH?', 'What if the Catholic Church knowingly moved around child predators to new churches to molest new kids?'.

Wouldn't it be f*cking great if it was all just made up fun? But God help us...it isn't. =(

• Like 3

There was also a female contributor who was the Powder Room in Rooms: The Musical, but I have no idea who she was. Maybe Jill Talley or Karen Kilgariff? I have no idea. Any guesses?

It's Jill Talley.

• Like 3

Besser uses profanity more effectively than any other hilarious person I can think of.

• Like 1

On a side note, Besser was great as always. What is upsetting about what he did was that...did he ever REALLY blow things out of proportion that much or flat out lie? Hitler Youth, Penn State, Catholic Church. It's upsetting because the basis of everything was real. Can you believe that? God how I wish he was just working off suggestions of nonsense like 'what if Joe Pat harbored and hid a child rapist?', 'What if the new Pope was a HITLER YOUTH?', 'What if the Catholic Church knowingly moved around child predators to new churches to molest new kids?'.

Wouldn't it be f*cking great if it was all just made up fun? But God help us...it isn't. =(

Technically, the Pope being a Hitler Youth doesn't mean that much, because anyone his age was forced to be a Hitler Youth. There are plenty of valid reasons to be disturbed by the current pope, but Hitler Youth membership isn't one of 'em. Not going to argue how disturbing any of the things you say is, except that I think what makes Paterno's story so disturbing isn't so much that he did it, but that so many people are still working so hard to keep "honoring his legacy."

Still, I had no problem with Besser's representation of the Pope as a member of Hitler Youth it because IT WAS A JOKE. Not an especially funny one, which is probably why he didn't take it very far, but a joke nonetheless. He was taking a factual premise and running with it to exaggerated levels. And it fit into the overall larger joke of him taking this total light-hearted attitude to horrible evils that he (and other Catholics) had done over the years.

That said, I was a little disappointed in the character. It was funny, but nowhere near as good as, say, his Bjork impression. Hilarious at some parts, but there were a lot of slow patches. I think the character might need a little development. Part of it is that priest sexual molestation jokes are so old, I've heard most of them already, and the punchlines are predictable. I think he was trying to do the jokes from a different angle, and it kind of worked, but not quite. And even Scott commented at one point that he didn't really understand what point of view the Pope was coming from. Definitely has potential, though--I'm very hopeful about his performance at the live versions.

Odenkirk was a little disappointing too. I found him very funny at the beginning, but he was mostly silent and very passive when he did talk. That beginning was great, though--one of the funniest interviews I've heard on CBB this year. I suspect he may not work as well in a loose format like CBB--he never seems nearly as funny in those bits as he does in ones that are scripted, or semi-improvised ones with more defined structure like his cameo on Arrested Development. I think the audio format hurts him a little--there's something about the way he moves and acts that helps sell his jokes whenever I see him on TV. It's subtle, but I can feel it lacking when I hear him without seeing him.

P.S. My favorite priest joke is the Titanic one.

A priest and a lawyer are walking on the deck of the Titanic, when suddenly a crew member runs by screaming, "We've hit an iceberg! This ship is sinking! Abandon ship, woman and children first!"

The lawyer says, "Fuck the children!"

And the priest says, "Do you think we have enough time?"

• Like 1

I'm shocked no one is talking about what was clearly the best part of the episode, the Eurovision song entry.

I spent most of my day today listening to that last 3 minutes and writing the lyrics down on the back of the work I was supposed to be doing.

Here they are if anyone else is interested

"You Say You Love Me But I Know That You Mean It" by Amerecho

YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME BUT I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

WORDS CAN NOT TELL ME WHAT HEART SAY IS TRUE

A DETECTIVE COME TOLD ME YOU LEFT ME A NOTE

WHAT SAID IT? NOW YOU SAID IT, MEAN IT

BUT I KNOW IT'S TRUE

SHOES ARE ON FIRE (WALKING AWAY NOW)

SHOES ARE ON FIRE (COMING STRAIGHT FOR ME)

NOW WE ARE KISSING (x2)

LIKE A HONEYMOON WATERFALL, YOU MAKE ME WET FALL

LOOK OUT OOH LOOK OUT I'M SWIMMING ON YOU

TAKE MY HAND (LET ME GO) x2

GIVE ME MY HAND BACK THEN DON'T LET ME GO

YOU MAKE ME COFFEE I WAKE YOU WITH LOVE

DONT HIT ME DON'T HIT ME BABY (DONT HIT ME BABY)

BECAUSE I'M TIRED, SO TIRED FROM THE LOVE

DONT HIT ME DON'T HIT ME BABY (DONT MAKE ME HIT YOU)

SHOES ARE ON FIRE

SHOES SHOES SHOES HOT SHOES SHOES SHOES

(fade out)

• Like 3

"You Say You Love Me But I Know That You Mean It" by Amerecho

YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME BUT I KNOW YOU LOVE ME

WORDS CAN NOT TELL ME WHAT HEART SAY IS TRUE

A DETECTIVE COME TOLD ME YOU LEFT ME A NOTE

WHAT SAID IT? NOW YOU SAID IT, MEAN IT

BUT I KNOW IT'S TRUE

SHOES ARE ON FIRE (COMING STRAIGHT FOR ME)

NOW WE ARE KISSING (x2)

LIKE A HONEYMOON WATERFALL, YOU MAKE ME WET FALL

LOOK OUT OOH LOOK OUT I'M SWIMMING ON YOU

TAKE MY HAND (LET ME GO) x2

GIVE ME MY HAND BACK THEN DON'T LET ME GO

YOU MAKE ME COFFEE I WAKE YOU WITH LOVE

DONT HIT ME DON'T HIT ME BABY (DONT HIT ME BABY)

BECAUSE I'M TIRED, SO TIRED FROM THE LOVE

DONT HIT ME DON'T HIT ME BABY (DONT MAKE ME HIT YOU)

SHOES ARE ON FIRE

SHOES SHOES SHOES HOT SHOES SHOES SHOES

(fade out)

Shoes? Well I'm embarrassed. Through my crappy earbuds, I could have sworn they were singing "Jews are on fire."

• Like 1

It's Jill Talley.

Yay! Jill is so awesome.

• Like 1

I forgot to tuck my shirt into my pants. No problems.

The fact that Pope Benedict XVI was a member of the Hitler Youth seems totally inconsequential once you realize he was also the head of the Glendale Fitness Gestapo.

Free choco-late! Free choco-late!

• Like 1

I love CBB but this show couldn't do it for me. The pope character fell flat, sorry Besser I love you in everything else!

The Pope asking '...will she be doing it all in the one-ringy-dingy voice' finally broke me. Also, I have to call for a rules judgement on WYR. Bob clearly voted early and yet was not penalized. I realize no one wants to reward a Nazi/child molester apologist...but still...I think the Pope won.

it seems that the influx of negative nancys has started around the same time bang bang hit ifc.. the more successful you are, the more people hate on you.

Hey! I've been negative on these forums for ages.

More seriously, if all you ever want to read in these forums is "ha ha ha this episode is the best ever no seriously” over and over and over again, you can just print that out on an index card, look at it from time to time and hug yourself.

I like stopping in here to talk about what I love when I love an episode, and what didn't work for me when I didn't like an episode. I also love hearing what people actually liked about an episode more when an episode falls flat for me -- sometimes the perspective of somebody who really gets a character will actually flip a little switch, and I'll re-listen and something I didn't enjoy before will take on a new aspect.

So I'll stand up for the negative nancys: they're the ones that start interesting conversations on this board, and as long as they have something of substance to say about why they didn't like something, I'd much rather read those posts. Give me a well-founded negative opinion over a chucklehead who automatically thumbs-up everything he hears any day of the week.

Give me a well-founded negative opinion over a chucklehead who automatically thumbs-up everything he hears any day of the week.

Congratulations on being negative for ages. Give me a chucklehead over someone who automatically has a well-founded negative opinion of everything he hears any day of the week....for ages.

• Like 3

Part of it is that priest sexual molestation jokes are so old, I've heard most of them already, and the punchlines are predictable. I think he was trying to do the jokes from a different angle, and it kind of worked, but not quite. And even Scott commented at one point that he didn't really understand what point of view the Pope was coming from.

After hearing Besser's great rants on religion/atheism (notably i4h 29 and 29.5) I was thrilled to finally have it spill over into CBB. As overdone as priest molestation jokes are, I felt like he played off that and went for the cheesy predictable angle on purpose. Hiding a small boy in his hat, for example. I am however disappointed that he didn't parody "sermon on the mount" with "semen in the mouth", as that quickly became topical later on in the podcast.

On a side note, I think it's important to keep raising the issue of priest molestation until every one of those sick fucks are brought to justice. Doing it comedically is the best way to raise the issue IMHO as it gets people thinking about it in a lighthearted way, yet it still raises the issue to everyone and possibly introduces it to those who have been ignorant or unaware.

• Like 3

More seriously, if all you ever want to read in these forums is "ha ha ha this episode is the best ever no seriously” over and over and over again, you can just print that out on an index card, look at it from time to time and hug yourself.

I stopped reading right there, just for your information. No one really cares about your opinion 4 paragraphs worth, brosephiroth.

• Like 3

In case anyone still cares, the "forgiveness for sale" thing that Bob, Matt and Scott were trying to remember was called "indulgences". The Church used to make most of its money selling indulgences to nobles, frequently on their death beds.

• Like 2

In case anyone still cares, the "forgiveness for sale" thing that Bob, Matt and Scott were trying to remember was called "indulgences". The Church used to make most of its money selling indulgences to nobles, frequently on their death beds.

sounds similar to scientology's charging for audits to get rid of all those negative thetans building up

• Like 2

sounds similar to scientology's charging for audits to get rid of all those negative thetans building up

Can Brody Stevens be explained by Scientology? Is a manic focus on POSITIVE ENERGY the end result of reaching a certain OT level? Does Brody exist the same metaphysical plane as a couch-jumping Tom Cruise?

I think there is a difference between offering real 'this could have been better if' dialog and the various 'this sucks' messages that have started appearing. And you know what, here is an idea. If you have something actually negative to say, why don't you email the hosts, or Jeff, or Scott? I did that once with Jeff, and we had a great dialog about it and I realized I was wrong.

I just don't see the point of pointing out something you don't like on a FREE podcast. If you paid for it, go nuts. But here, after thousands of hours of free entertainment during one of the worst times in American history, can't you just let your $hitty negative opinion slide? Plenty of stuff upsets me on the internet, but I just don't talk about it because who cares what people hate? I just want to know what people get joy out of so I can see if I will get joy from it too.

Yay.

• Like 4

I stopped reading right there, just for your information. No one really cares about your opinion 4 paragraphs worth, brosephiroth.

brosephiroth.. oh man that blows my mind :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I love Besser but this character is sort of in poor taste, I stopped listening to it after the 609698378th molestation joke. This one just wasn't for me.

Molested, huh? I'm sorry to hear it. :unsure:

• Like 2

True, priest/molestation jokes have been done, but the joke that ended with "and then it crashed into a battered women's shelter" made me literally do a spit take.

Also, Besser sounded a little bit like Bruno. And I mean that as a compliment.

Sign in to follow this