🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 62 — Fame

It's so tough to walk around when everyone knows you were once married to Wesley Snipes. The gang talks fame, and joining them is Scott Aukerman, currently in the throes of fame from his IFC TV show, Comedy Bang! Bang! Though there are varying degrees of fame, or being associated with a famous person, one thing is agreed upon: you always want to be able to go to Chipotle.

Wait a minute... first, CBB puts both Besser and Odenkirk on, and now PB has the Scottobot? Is Earwolf some devious sleep-deprivation experiment? Seriously, I have a job and you guys are really making it difficult to go to bed at a reasonable time. What's next, a very special Who Charted with both Harris Wittles and Andy Daly? PFT on I4H? I love your shows and all, but sometimes you have to put out some garbage so I can get a decent night's sleep.

At least I live on the west coast.

• Like 11

"This American Life we're all living in!..."

I'm still laughing.

Who in their right mind would want to harm Scott? That's nuts.

Also, I think my all-time favorite Martha Kelly bit is her "Break-Up Letter to Food"...funny stuff. It's a shame the Crackpot Comedy Tour didn't become a comedy documentary or a web series or something. It would have done well.

• Like 1

I went to a comic book art college, and I had a terrible instructor for one class during my final year who was a notorious name dropper of comic book industry people. Yeah, he knew some people. But those stories dried up within the first two weeks, and then for the rest of the year he'd just be telling the most bullshit-laden experiences.

His most notorious lie was when he said something along the lines of, "So I was walking around the con and bumped into MIKE who was inbetween books at the time. And he wanted to do some creator-owned stuff and he showed me this sketch of his new character. So I'm looking at MIKE's work and I was like, 'you know, I think you really got something here. This Hellboy character could be something really cool.'" "GROAN THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. WHY DON'T YOU TEACH US SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE?"

I set my alarm for 3 :05 am (NYtime).. I just need to hear the dulcet sounds of a show which makes me permanently smile. I am so in the weeds wondering what is going to happen to this fantastic show...once Tig moves.

Once the mask talk was starting, I was expecting a mention of The Residents. They're an avant-garde art collective that are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year. They've got over 90 albums, 20 DVDs and have done a ton of world tours, but they've always worn masks and never divulged their identities. They've put their art first and potentially sacrificed fame, yet maintained their creative vision and have definitely never sold out.

They're amazing, check them out. Les Claypool is a huge fan of theirs and covered a few of their songs.

The+Residents+miamivice2.jpg

Really fun episode. The Choctaw was great as always, and his Odenkirk impression made me burst out laughing.

Another note on the mask thing - There actually was an episode of Futurama a few weeks ago about a super-famous award-winning actor who always wore a paper bag over his head!

I thought it was a little weird that it took them over an hour to acknowledge that Kyle is in a relationship with someone who is significantly more famous than anyone on this show, but it would have been really weird if they didn't mention it at all. Then again, I guess it was really weird that they didn't acknowledge that Scott is in fact The World-Famous Scottabot.

I am so in the weeds wondering what is going to happen to this fantastic show...once Tig moves.

Nothing. Tig mentioned on another podcast that Professor Blastoff will continue.

• Like 1

If PB ever has to go on hiatus again, put up the crappy pilots with a disclaimer at the beginning. Kind of like what CBB did a little while back when they had a guest drop out. I'd rather hear how the bread is made than nothing.

• Like 2

I am so in the weeds wondering what is going to happen to this fantastic show...once Tig moves.

If we're lucky, they'll skype and maybe we'll get some Mack Truck Toilet Flush!

• Like 4

I really enjoyed this episode (even as I am angling to get on another episode myself).

I was reminded of the two years I spent in England when I discovered they have a whole set of "famous" people most Americans have never heard of! I had to learn who these "famous" people were, their back-story, etc. It showed me that fame was so relative.

A year or so ago, I stopped listening to the Howard Stern Show and started listening to comedy podcasts and again discovered a whole new group of "famous" people, namely the "alt-comedians". I had never heard of Tig, Kyle and David (or Aaron) then, but now they are HUGE celebrities to me. Fame really is in the eye of the beholder.

I was very bummed to hear about Scott's negative experiences with being stalked and harassed (but happy to hear he's paid off one of Kulap's boobs). There is definitely a negative side to fame in this day and age.

A friend of mine is a great guitarist who has performed with many of the world's biggest acts (including Julian Lennon!). My friend told me about English singer Robbie Williams who is a HUGE star in Britain, but mostly unknown in the US. He said after their show, he was able to walk out into the crowd and the streets unbothered, but Williams had to sneak out in a limo with blacked-out windows and spend the rest of the night alone. Williams is wealthy, but has no freedom, due to his fame. Sad, in a way.

I agree with the PB guys that the level of fame they have is maybe about the best as they are mostly known by fans who love their work and don't want anything from them.

Welp, that's been comment.

“Aaron, that maybe happened once.” Priceless.

I have a horrible story about ‘I know you’!

Five years ago I took my nephews up to a park in outer Denver. An older African American man came up to me and just smiled. I knew his face, I couldn’t place it…then I could!

“Cookie! Coach cookie! I haven’t seen you since middle school football! How are you?”

He just stared at me.

I sighed deeply, “You aren’t Cookie are you?”

“I bid on the vending machine contracts at your company last week. You met with me for about two hours. We toured all the buildings you own. Good to see you again.”

My older nephew just stared at me and said, “Nice.”

I was really hurt for some reason when i heard scott was receiving threats via internet..hes just trying to put out something out of the ordinary and totally original..i hope that stops..but with that said this episode made me laugh soo much haha great job

• Like 1

While it would have been interesting had Jermaine Jackson been an original MTV VJ, and it may have seemed like he was an employee given the amount of times the "Can You Feel It" video played, I believe Scott meant JJ Jackson, the most upbeat of the original MTV lineup.

Just needed to clear that up for some reason.

David says he's seen a good portion of NBC's Friends. Scott asks him what his favorite episode is. David can't really come up with one. Scott says, "The One Where-?" obviously playing with the fact that every episode of Friends starts with 'The One Where' or 'The One With,' etc. It goes completely over David's head, who thinks Scott is trying to help David out by getting him to describe what happened in the episode he's thinking of. Scott says nothing and the podcast continues, none the wiser. This is why I love Scott Aukerman's brand of humor. That gem was just for Scott and any of the listeners who got the joke. So good.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure Howard gave Kulap that Bieber toothbrush as a gift; it was in one of the Who Charted episodes.

• Like 1

This isn't one of my weekly podcasts, but I think I'm going to have to go back and get caught up as I really enjoyed this. I thought it was classy of Scott (and everyone) to not name names when telling stories about famous people, but I still kept wondering whom he was talking about. I became very self-aware of my own interest in fame and celebrity gossip.

Scott is such an interesting guest on other podcasts because he seems so uncomfortable with discussing his personal life. It makes you realize how much of a character his CBB persona is. I wish he was on more, though, because I find him so hilarious.

Great episode, though. Good topic!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Howard gave Kulap that Bieber toothbrush as a gift; it was in one of the Who Charted episodes.

Sean Conroy also talks about getting one in one of the early episodes of I4H. Come on, Earwolf, get that Bieber sponsorship money.

I thought The Navajo was actually going to go through an entire podcast without busting out a "Mah Wife". I'm so delighted that he managed to get a couple in at the end there.

Sign in to follow this