🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sycasey 2.0

Brian's Song

Brian's Song  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Does Brian's Song go in the space capsule?

• ✅ Touchdown!
    • ❌ Fumble!

unspooled-brians-song-final.jpg

Paul & Amy tackle 1971’s football integration melodrama Brian’s Song! They learn why Burt Reynolds ultimately wasn’t cast in the James Caan role, praise the film’s use of real game footage, and discuss why it all works despite often feeling like an after school special. Plus: what makes Brian’s Song a famous ‘guy-cry?’

This is the second episode of our Underdogs series; next week’s film is Cool Runnings! Learn more about the show at unspooledpod.com, follow us on Twitter @unspooled and Instagram @unspooledpod, and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify. You can also listen to our Stitcher Premium game show Screen Test right now at https://www.stitcher.com/show/unspooled-screen-test, and apply to be a contestant at unspooledpod@gmail.com! Photo credit: Kim Troxall

I think the era of the TV movie is just before my time. I don't think this belongs anywhere near the canon, or the AFI list.

Language that violates the norms of the outward-facing world is basically universal in working-class jobs. It binds the group together.

Relatedly, benign norm violation is the bedrock of humor. Laughter among animals is a signal that they are still in play-mode, even if play-fighting.

It's a 70s TV movie. It really feels like a 70s TV movie, just with better-than-usual actors in it. And I guess the use of real game footage was pretty cool. But no, not voting for it.

I tend not to cry at movies that are really obviously trying to make me cry, so this one didn't work on me, though I thought it was well-performed.

Yikes, that was a boring, but mercifully short film. Well, it was still better than the worst of the AFI list so until a more worthy Bernie Casey film comes up this can have a place on the space ship.

Sign in to follow this