jklmr123

Most Awkward Podcast episodes

I never thought I'd like awkward confrontations or moments in podcasts, but it does raise interest in these conversations. I was wondering if anyone had any favorites in comedy podcasts that just get stuck in weird situations and still try to keep it light.... Just as an example I think the best was WTF with Gallagaher. But more recently ep 36 of improv4humans and a who charted with Chris Gore that became weird and the hosts didn't know really what to say. I obviously wouldn't like this in a majority of shows, but I do like it when it goes off script... Does anyone have their favorites they could list?

• Like 1

The Chris Gore WC? is a good one.

However, the only episode of CDR/CBB that I will not listen to again is episode 75 with Mike Birbiglia. This is the only time that I felt real tension between Scott and a guest.

(P.S.: Every episode of WTF is awkward to me. Ever since I put it together that he is a misanthrope who feeds on the good will of others, I can't listen. See the episodes with Michael Ian Black. He is genuinely trying to understand why Marc hates him, but gets blindsided by a shit-storm. It makes my stomach churn to listen to WTF.)

• Like 8

The episode of Keith and The Girl where Keith "accidentally?" revealed that Chemda had had an abortion.

Jordan Jesse GO had one almost as bad as the Penny Arcade one with Merrill Markoe a few months back too.

More of a Radio thing, but when Jian Gomeshi interviewed Billy Bob Thorton. Hey, Billy Bob, maybe Jian is about your acting career because YOU ARE AN ACTOR YOU PRICK!

• Like 3

Episode 59 of CDR with Todd Glass threatening to walk out is pretty bad for me.

Also, of COURSE, the live You Made It Weird with Jon Glazer sending Pete Holmes into a guilty tailspin was instantly infamous. I've never heard a group of people more uncomfortable to be sharing a stage.

P.S. Get a load of this odd tension between Maron and The Choctaw at points during this 2-part interview (The host alone merits a few awkward points, in my opinion): http://youtu.be/nfIRb3CH80U

• Like 3

Get a load of this odd tension between Maron and The Choctaw at points during this 2-part interview (The host alone merits a few awkward points, in my opinion): http://youtu.be/nfIRb3CH80U

Thanks Alex, I've never seen that.

Episode 59 of CDR with Todd Glass threatening to walk out is pretty bad for me.

That was the my first CDR. I've listened to it so many times and I don't remember that part at all.

• Like 1

Apparently there was one episode of You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes that he was asked not to release by the guest, I'd really love to hear that one, I have my guesses of who it is.

This is much less uncomfortable almost, but in the non-Earwolf movie podcast Battleship Pretension, one of the host sort of dismisses Aqua Teen Hunger Force in talking about modern comedy and guest Paul F Tompkins points out that he likes it and was just honest. No hurt feelings but a cute and awkward moment. Also, the first Pete Holmes, TJ Miller and Jeff Garlin episode of Doug Loves Movies.

One of the first episodes of CDR that I ever heard was when Brett Gelman read his iBrain poem thing and Scott got really mad and everyone yells. I still hadn't quite figured out the character improv theme of the show yet and I felt like I was hearing something I wasn't supposed to.

I also remember a very old episode of WTF where he had on a couple who wrote a book about some sort of terrifying abusive child rearing and I definitely didn't get that it was a bit at first and was extremely confused.

• Like 1

I noticed some real awkwardness between Scott and Loudon Wainwright on CBB. Apparently Loudon had not showed up for a previous episode so that might explain it. Scott was polite, but there was a weird lack-of-chemistry between two really funny people on that episode.

One of the first episodes of CDR that I ever heard was when Brett Gelman read his iBrain poem thing and Scott got really mad and everyone yells. I still hadn't quite figured out the character improv theme of the show yet and I felt like I was hearing something I wasn't supposed to.

Something happened like that for me too on one of the bonus episodes of How Did This Get Made? Usually I pick on things quickly, but there was a really deadpan interview with a friend of Paul's who spent all of his money on a Jay Leno shirt business (yeah, I feel dumb writing it down now). I seemed entirely possible since I really hadn't heard of the director and there are guys who just self destruct with a dumn idea. I caught on at the end when he basically asked Paul to have dinner with him sometime. It's such a classic way to end an "I'm being pathetic on air" bit, that I realized "oh, this is a bit". Still, Paul and the director (who's name eludes me) both really sell it and it made me feel really uncomfortable. I bet Joquin Phoenix wish they could accomplish that.

Something happened like that for me too on one of the bonus episodes of How Did This Get Made? Usually I pick on things quickly, but there was a really deadpan interview with a friend of Paul's who spent all of his money on a Jay Leno shirt business (yeah, I feel dumb writing it down now). I seemed entirely possible since I really hadn't heard of the director and there are guys who just self destruct with a dumn idea. I caught on at the end when he basically asked Paul to have dinner with him sometime. It's such a classic way to end an "I'm being pathetic on air" bit, that I realized "oh, this is a bit". Still, Paul and the director (who's name eludes me) both really sell it and it made me feel really uncomfortable. I bet Joquin Phoenix wish they could accomplish that.

Jason Woliner, the fourth member of Human Giant. It was all part of a Twitter goof that Woliner kept up for a few weeks.

• Like 2

The Chris Gore WC? still takes the cake for me. Also, the Todd Glass with Norm MacDonald (pt.1) had a few moments, then it carried over into Rory's episode (pt. 2) and there is a moment where it sounds like Todd barfs and Norm sort of attacks him over it and Todd never explains it and then suddenly Norm is just gone (assuming his car came). The whole thing was hilarious but very strange feeling.

I also remember a very old episode of WTF where he had on a couple who wrote a book about some sort of terrifying abusive child rearing and I definitely didn't get that it was a bit at first and was extremely confused.

That WTF one would have got me too but the guys did the exact same bit on an episode of CDR.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/family-counseling/

I do love the bit and it was great hearing how both SOccermom and Maron played the straight man part in it.

Also The recent Steve-O ep of Who Charted was super uncomfortable as he ran through the episode a million miles per minute. Scrapping a whole chart and barely letting the hosts get a word in.

recently Dave Hill (who comes off as nothing but a nice guy) had a rough episode with Andy Dick as his guest. Dick seemed like he was being am aggressive asshole to Dave the whole time. Sounds like Dave cut the recording short too.

Immediately after the prerecordes segment on every episode Dave says "And there you have it. My interview with the lovely.." and it made me laugh after hearing him say it after The Andy Dick segment ended even though he said it without any inflection of sarcasm or bitterness.

recently Dave Hill (who comes off as nothing but a nice guy) had a rough episode with Andy Dick as his guest. Dick seemed like he was being am aggressive asshole to Dave the whole time. Sounds like Dave cut the recording short too.

Immediately after the prerecordes segment on every episode Dave says "And there you have it. My interview with the lovely.." and it made me laugh after hearing him say it after The Andy Dick segment ended even though he said it without any inflection of sarcasm or bitterness.

Agreed.

They took it down, but ep. 100 od the Programing Insider, one of the two news readers farted. There was a pause and they just kept going. It was really funny.

Marc maron and Kumail Nanjiani were both on Doug Loves Movies last week and spent most of the episode ripping on each other. It was funny for awhile, then got weird.

• Like 3

I think it was both funny AND weird. That said, it was also very awkward. Don't get me wrong, the humour acted as a salve, but yeah, I don't blame anyone for feeling uncomfortable with that one.

Oh, Marc, you are your own worst enemy (Kumail did egg him on a bit, but that's just normal comedian teasing stuff, not "Bully" stuff).

Marc maron and Kumail Nanjiani were both on Doug Loves Movies last week and spent most of the episode ripping on each other. It was funny for awhile, then got weird.

Then it got funny again, then weird again, then funny. It was a very fine line they were walking. I found it hilarious, especially when Kumail ran with the tech support bit. He seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I couldn't care less about Maron, though his win on the Maltin game was a great moment.

• Like 2

Apparently there was one episode of You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes that he was asked not to release by the guest, I'd really love to hear that one, I have my guesses of who it is.

The live episode of You Made It Weird when Jon Glaser got majorly uncomfortable as Glaser was getting a bit insensed about something. I'm blanking on who is was got him going... but it was ackward.