jklmr123

Most Awkward Podcast episodes

The live episode of You Made It Weird when Jon Glaser got majorly uncomfortable as Glaser was getting a bit insensed about something. I'm blanking on who is was got him going... but it was ackward.

That one did get released. Glaser got offended when Pete Homes mentioned he'd beaten Jon in the final auditions for the e-trade baby commercials.

And then later in the same show, Brett Gelman got pissed off when he was heckled by Eric Andre.

A very, very awkward episode.

• Like 1

there was a DLM where todd glass was too stoned.

there were a few comedy and everything else's i herad where Jimmy was a bit of a stubborn dick, and his girlfriend always taking his side was weird (telling todd it is ok to say 'gay' pejoratively).

the best i can think of is greg fitzsimmons on never not funny. i think it was a joke on greg's part but jimmy saw the show out professionally

• Like 1

Just listened to the DLM with Kumial and maron and while the friction was funny it did seem as if they have a genuine dislike for one another which is where it got kinda awkward.

Props to Kumail for how he handled Maron though, thought he came across as funny and made Maron look a bit petty.

Has anyone heard the WTF that they did, was there noticeable tension?

• Like 1

What is the deal with those two? I know there's been tension for a long time - but I've never known what exactly their bad blood is all about.

• Like 1

What is the deal with those two? I know there's been tension for a long time - but I've never known what exactly their bad blood is all about.

Michael talked about how Marc was an asshole to him when they were coming up on his WTF episode. Although, they seemed to burry the hatchet a little then.

I feel like neither one of them understand the other's bits. So they just take cheap shots at each other and then take turns being sensitive while the other is the "friend-troll." Shit, I don't think I understand it either.

Thanks. Marc really got owned in that Twitter exchange with Michael today.

On that DLM with Marc and Kumail, I feel like Marc wasn't being genuinely spiteful, that's just his character/humor, but the more he's egged on the more he owns it. To me it seemed like Kumail was really the one that was keeping it going and taking it personally, while Marc just seemed to be having fun.

• Like 1

Nobody won in that Mark and Michael twitter handbag fight, that shit was the epitome of lose/lose.

Apparently there was one episode of You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes that he was asked not to release by the guest, I'd really love to hear that one, I have my guesses of who it is.

I don't know who that was but I did hear Dustin Marshall confirm in an interview that he was the one Mental Illness Happy Hour guest who asked for his episode not to be made public.

Nobody won in that Mark and Michael twitter handbag fight, that shit was the epitome of lose/lose.

I agree it was very petty, but as far as petty insults go, Michael's were much wittier. Marc seemed totally frazzled. But that's what happens when you tangle with the Marm of Smarm.

• Like 1

Michael Ian Black was just on WTF. It was funny, but awkward. They tried to be nice, but it went back to being insults.

I had on an NPR personality on my podcast "Proudly Resents." She showed up two hours late with a dog. the dog ran on all the furniture. the other people on the podcast were very polite, but they were pissed. Plus she wouldn't talk into the microphone.

I didn't air it for over two years. I just put it up last month. you can't really tell that people are annoyed.

http://proudlyresents.com/garden-state/

This is non-Earwolf canon, but theres an episode of Uhh Yeah Dude where Jonathan and Seth get in an arugment and Jonathan even threatens to quit the show. It's especially jarring considering how lowkey and chill they both normally are.

man, just reading this thread is agony! haha

the first thing that popped into my head was the CBB with Harris and Jon Heder, maybe i'm projecting my own dislike of heder and his total unfunniness but i felt like you could hear Harris just unraveling at trying to work with that dude.

Harry Dean Stanton is on the latest episode of Doug Love Movies. Yes, take a second. Read that first sentence again. That happened.

It was an exercise in "No, but".

Here's an actual chunk of dialogue from when Jen Kirkman asks Harry a question -

Jen Kirkman: "My favorite John Hughes movie is Pretty in Pink. You played Molly Ringwald's dad. Do you have an opinion of who she should have ended up with? She did end up with Blane, the rich guy. A lot of people think she should have ended up with her best friend Ducky. Are you happy with how they ended the movie with her ending up with Blane - as her dad?"

Harry Dean Stanton: "...I don't give a fuck."

• Like 5

I'm currently in the midst of listening to that DLM episode and, thus far, it feels like the handiwork of a publicist and a documentary filmmaker taking advantage of an old man suffering from dementia.

• Like 1

I'm currently in the midst of listening to that DLM episode and, thus far, it feels like the handiwork of a publicist and a documentary filmmaker taking advantage of an old man suffering from dementia.

I almost turned off the episode twice. Doug, Paul and especially Jen tried their best, but Harry Dean definitely should never have been put in a position to be on the show. Like you said, whichever publicist asked Doug to book the poor guy is pretty shameless.

• Like 2

I saw a new post in this thread and knew it had to be regarding that. I agree that Doug, Paul, and Jen did a great job. I don't think Stanton necessarily has dementia, but he doesn't seem to remember a lot and wasn't really game for anything, so it just felt like a bad idea all around. To be fair, the "I don't give a fuck" seemed good-natured enough (as in, he was intentionally being funny, even if he meant it), and got a big laugh from the audience.

• Like 2

Oh no! When I saw Stanton's name in the show title, I couldn't wait to listen. Now I'm kind of dreading it. Is it really painful?

There were a few funny moments - but I sort of sensed that Doug realized it was a major mistake within two minutes of Harry taking the stage. And then just tried his best to salvage things for another 40 minutes.

Yeah, they just kind of name off movies on his IMDB page for the last half and ask him about them. He didn't seem to remember doing any of them. It was an interesting episode, I'll give it that.

Yeah, I saw the list of guests and I was like "awesome, PFT and another of my faves, and someone else doing an impression of Harry Dean Stanton." And then I listened. Hoo boy. It actually picks up towards the end, when Doug reads the first shit head, and Stanton's like "What the fuck is that?" and then Jen and Paul have to explain Twitter to him. Stanton starts to perk up a bit but yeah, the guy is 87 and doesn't have time for this shit. The tension or more "what are we gonna do" feeling is palpable but the three of them prevented it from being a disaster. His publicist needs a serious talkin' to.

It was worth it for Jen Kirkman's question about Pretty In Pink and Harry's response.

As soon as Jen started talking about Pretty in Pink I was sure it was going to be a Duckie/Blaine question and I actually said "nooooooo" aloud. (softly)

Thanks to justinmh05 for typing up that exchange. It was a rough eppy to be sure but as others have mentioned it got better once it was just Doug reading HDS's movies.

I couldn't tell if HDS was being deliberately obtuse, or if he was drunk/high, or just plain old. Not a fun episode. Not even PFT and Jen Kirkman could salvage it.

• Like 1