jklmr123

Most Awkward Podcast episodes

The recent live episode of Kiss Me, I'm Patrick McMahon grew increasingly uncomfortable with each passing minute. The guests barely tolerated Patrick's presence, the band outright hated him, and the show culminates in a cringeworthy family reunion. Jest feckin' awful.

It was worse than the death of child and 40 days in jail without food. If there's any justice in the world robot Jesus will damn all their souls to hell while devil plays the most beautiful violin music to march them down.

Recent earwolf contribution to this thread: all of those godawful WC eps with Armen Weitzman failing miserably as he fills in for Howard. The final one with Besser repeatedly losing his patience with Armen's ineptitude is absolutely glorious.

• Like 1

just read this whole thread and I'm surprised no one brought up Maron's episode with Lynn Shawcroft (Mitch Hedberg's widow)... it puts any other awkward WTF moment to shame, bit or otherwise. any time drug use was brought up, her visceral reaction to the subject actually made me sick to my stomach... and it didn't help that Marc was nervously laughing the entire time. I think he was trying to bring some levity to the interview, but it didn't translate well and kind of made him sound like an asshole.

Episode 239 of Stop Podcasting Yourself with guest Shlomo McPeake. SPY is my favorite podcast and I've listened to most of the episodes multiple times, but I've never relistened to that one because I remember it being so awkward. The guest was apparently a comedian, but I remember him being mostly quiet and when he did speak it was in slow, halting sentences that were usually irrelevant and unfunny. Graham and Dave were trying their hardest to get anything out of him.

Also, the most recent Norm MacDonald live with Dave Koechner. There's a long stretch where he seriously explains some acting/improv theory and Norm tries to break the tension with his joke about Adam Eget giving handjobs under the Brooklyn Bridge, but Koechner powers through and goes right back into the acting theory stuff immediately after.

just read this whole thread and I'm surprised no one brought up Maron's episode with Lynn Shawcroft (Mitch Hedberg's widow)... it puts any other awkward WTF moment to shame, bit or otherwise. any time drug use was brought up, her visceral reaction to the subject actually made me sick to my stomach... and it didn't help that Marc was nervously laughing the entire time. I think he was trying to bring some levity to the interview, but it didn't translate well and kind of made him sound like an asshole.

Eww.

I didn't even know she did WTF until I just read your comment. I love Mitch and I'm sure Marc was interested in learning more about Mitch, but I don't know how I feel about her being on the podcast. I will not be listening to that one.

Eww.

I didn't even know she did WTF until I just read your comment. I love Mitch and I'm sure Marc was interested in learning more about Mitch, but I don't know how I feel about her being on the podcast. I will not be listening to that one.

why's that? I don't know much about their situation other than feeling a little sorry for her during the interview... is it a Kurt Cobain/Courtney Love scenario or is there a more specific reason for your general dislike of her?

Listening to the aftermath of Paul F Tompkins completely blowing off Ari Shaffir and Bert Kreischer is pretty awkward/funny. This is from Ar Shaffir's podcast a couple of yrs ago. It happens at about the 1:10:40 point in the video and they talk about it for a good bit after the fact. Kreischer also gives some backstory on the situation. Personally I find Kreischer to be an annoying, unfunny phony so I understand Paul F not wanting anything to do with him but still yeesh.

Kind of weird to think also how there's still a divide between the "alternative" LA comedy crowd and this whole other scene.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOCu8n03o8

Based on stories like the above, Ari Shaffir seems like a fucking psychopath, and it's astounding that entire LA scene hasn't blackballed him. I don't listen to Skeptic Tank, but I can't say I'm surprised that Paul F. Tompkins—one of the nicest people in the comedy community—apparently wants nothing to do with him.

• Like 5

why's that? I don't know much about their situation other than feeling a little sorry for her during the interview... is it a Kurt Cobain/Courtney Love scenario or is there a more specific reason for your general dislike of her?

Sorry it took a bit for me to jump back in this thread.

There are three reasons for my reaction like that:

1. I read your post when I was in a weird, tired, mindset at night and actually may check it out now.

2. My initial reaction, even though I know it's not true, is a 'she's using Mitch's death to get herself out there' thing. I know they loved each other and she's gone through a rough time, and Marc probably pursued her for the interview.

3. Lesser reason, but I have a very specific image of Mitch in my head from stories from other comedians. I don't necessarily want to hear something from someone so close to him that might change that in a negative way.

Also I've gotten into Harmontown lately, and the Phoenix episode from the Harmontown tour was pretty awkward in an interesting way. Harmon was so hard on himself during the show even though the audience was very supportive. They actually referred to it as 'reverse heckling' in a later tour episode.

Also I've gotten into Harmontown lately, and the Phoenix episode from the Harmontown tour was pretty awkward in an interesting way. Harmon was so hard on himself during the show even though the audience was very supportive. They actually referred to it as 'reverse heckling' in a later tour episode.

if you like awkward, wait til you get to Pittsburgh!

if you like awkward, wait til you get to Pittsburgh!

Haha I shotgunned all of the tour episodes over the last week and a half so I've heard Pittsburgh. I actually didn't think that was as odd as Phoenix because they were just being so honest and talking. It definitely wasn't hilarious, and people definitely felt weird about it (hence the e-mails Erin got).

It probably didn't phase me as much since I've been really into listening to deeper and philosophical conversations with comedians lately, more than the typical Maron type interviews. Duncan Trussell's podcast has been fun for that too, and Harmon's first episode on there might be my favorite podcast ever that wasn't just going for laughs (CBB / I4H / Andy Daly PPP).

Also, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer is one of the GOAT SNL sketches in my book. So great.

• Like 1

I'd say as a listener that the Kumail and Maron (pt. 1) was wickedly uncomfortable. It wasn't even funny. It felt lonely and sad. It was a good episode, but I won't relisten to it.

As a host, hands down: Howard Kremer as our guest. He's so funny, but he didn't get what was happening. He and my cohost seemed to be interested in one another. I felt like a threesome was proposed, but no one wanted me there (I'm using hyperbole here). He's frakin' hysterical normally. I say we all get to have a few of those. Learning experience. On WC? he's outgoing, but when Ku isn't around, he seems to be off. She's his podcast rock, imo.

I love reading these whenever I feel like an episode I've done is off. Everyone has a few. It makes the good ones even better sometimes.

• Like 1

Sorry it took a bit for me to jump back in this thread.

There are three reasons for my reaction like that:

1. I read your post when I was in a weird, tired, mindset at night and actually may check it out now.

2. My initial reaction, even though I know it's not true, is a 'she's using Mitch's death to get herself out there' thing. I know they loved each other and she's gone through a rough time, and Marc probably pursued her for the interview.

3. Lesser reason, but I have a very specific image of Mitch in my head from stories from other comedians. I don't necessarily want to hear something from someone so close to him that might change that in a negative way.

I could definitely see your point having not listened to it, but she's very timid the entire conversation... if I remember correctly, she had just put together a book on their relationship so I guess you could say she had an agenda of some sort, but it felt genuine. it's been awhile since I listened to it so I can't speak too specifically on how much of Mitch's reputation took a beating, but he was in a very bad way towards the end so there's really no avoiding that fact...

hell yes, Harmontown is awkward city and I love every second of it! I'm almost caught up... the sporadic audience interaction adds a lot to how weird it can get, but sometimes the most painful moments involve the people who are supposed to be on stage... especially after the tour.

(...I'm looking at you, Jeff)

I could definitely see your point having not listened to it, but she's very timid the entire conversation... if I remember correctly, she had just put together a book on their relationship so I guess you could say she had an agenda of some sort, but it felt genuine. it's been awhile since I listened to it so I can't speak too specifically on how much of Mitch's reputation took a beating, but he was in a very bad way towards the end so there's really no avoiding that fact...

hell yes, Harmontown is awkward city and I love every second of it! I'm almost caught up... the sporadic audience interaction adds a lot to how weird it can get, but sometimes the most painful moments involve the people who are supposed to be on stage... especially after the tour.

(...I'm looking at you, Jeff)

Oh I forgot about her writing that book. I know she is responsible for getting the third cd out, and has been trying to do something with his movie Los Enchiladas... But I assume most of the money for those things goes to his family since they weren't married. Whatever.

Yeah he was losing it at the end. I've heard bootlegs of a bunch of shows right before he died and he was gone. He'd just stop talking at times, forget punchlines, mumble. Pretty rough. I tried to see him on that tour, but I couldn't get a ride (it was an hour away and I was 15). It was in the earlier part of the tour and he was supposedly still great that night.

Semi-related: I was going to see Carlin live, but he cancelled the show to go to rehab. Then he died.

I saw Amazing Jonathon was playing a few hours away from me about 2 years back and decided last minute to not go. Now he's retired and his heart is giving out.

Moral of the story, see everybody while you can!

I made a point to see Norm MacDonald, David Cross, Seinfeld, and Brian Regan and they all were awesome.

---

I haven't listened to Harmontown totally sequentially, so I've heard runs of episodes at various spots. One of the things that kept me from being a fan for so long was the audience interaction. I wasn't expecting it when I first clicked. Pretty sure it was an Adam Goldberg appearance that made me put the podcast on the back burner for so long, but I'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOCu8n03o8

Based on stories like the above, Ari Shaffir seems like a fucking psychopath, and it's astounding that entire LA scene hasn't blackballed him. I don't listen to Skeptic Tank, but I can't say I'm surprised that Paul F. Tompkins—one of the nicest people in the comedy community—apparently wants nothing to do with him.

Fuck, what is this show, 'Asshole Hack Comedian Hour'? I hate this shit.

I can understand hating Goldberg - do you like Beef Fungus Bill?

I had heard a Beef Fungus Bill appearance, but just heard his origin a few days ago. I'm A-OK with him.

The moldy jerky was a great turn in that episode.

I thought Adam Goldberg was pretty annoying until I heard Real Abed. All the self-centred tendencies of Adam Goldberg with none of the wit and articulateness.

• Like 1

In general I think it's pretty easy for a DLM to turn a bit awkward. When you've got that many people together & you're playing a game where there are varying levels of giving a shit, there is bound to be tension. Sometimes I find it hard to finish one, but only because I get flashbacks to family games of Monopoly & Trivial Pursuit gone dark.

Two podcasts that really stand out to me (that haven't been mentioned) as being awkward are the CBB with Will Forte. Before PFT arrives it seems like Will Forte shuts down every time Scott tries to riff too much. I remember a good 10 minutes of Will Forte just talking about how great the director of Nebraska was, and how nervous he was to do a serious movie, punctuated by Scott trying to make some jokes that Will Forte just moves right along from. I like Will Forte, I think he just wasn't sure what was going on or he just really wanted to talk about Nebraska. It really picks up for everyone once Richard Harrow is on the scene.

Then also the WTF with Annabelle Gurwitch & Jefff Kahn. The two of them are married and they seem to really hate each other - at first it seems like a playful albeit awkward schtick, but eventually it seems to just devolve into the kind of barbs you see between a couple the night before a murder-suicide. Call me a softie, but it made me really unhappy. Marc tries to play along with them but sometimes it seems like he feels uncomfortable too, and that's saying something. Also, more pube talk than I can handle. I hate when Marc talks sex, those Adam & Eve ads used to make me feel so uncomfortable.

My first podcast I ever listened to was actually the WTF with Gallagher, so I have a lot of affection for the awkward ones.

time to go back to the WTF well...

it might have already been mentioned in this thread, but the live episode with James Franco is fucking golden for so many reasons.... especially when Eddie Pepitone started heckling from the audience to the extent that Marc had to shut him down.

also... it's a super early one, but I recall Steve Rannazzisi being creepily specific and blunt as to how he would cover up a murder of some sort... perhaps something to do with his wife, it's been a few years since I heard the episode so I don't remember exactly. I'm sure he was just riffing... I'm not too familiar with how dark his stand-up is. but it was definitely compelling when I first heard it considering I was still pretty new to podcasts and how revelatory people choose to be in them... "joking" or not.

Kevin Smith on The X-Files Files was intolerable. From his immediate rambling about needing to be high - a subject he now brings up in every interview incessantly - to his stopping telling a story about his wife to insist that 'a the time' she was "just a woman I was fuckin'", it was awful. Kumail tried his best - but it was intolerable. I have no issue with people getting high. I just think it's creepy that Kevin Smith feels the need to constantly talk about it no matter what the topic of discussion is.

• Like 1

Kevin Smith on The X-Files Files was intolerable. From his immediate rambling about needing to be high - a subject he now brings up in every interview incessantly - to his stopping telling a story about his wife to insist that 'a the time' she was "just a woman I was fuckin'", it was awful. Kumail tried his best - but it was intolerable. I have no issue with people getting high. I just think it's creepy that Kevin Smith feels the need to constantly talk about it no matter what the topic of discussion is.

it's strange... as much as people hate Kevin Smith, I just can't seem to summon up enough fucks to give. yes... he can be an asshole, slightly misogynist, high all the time and overly talkative (usually telling the exact same stories over and over again, word for word... compare his appearance on Getting Doug with High to his X-Files Files conversation and it's like he's reading from a script)... but fuck it, he's just a guy who makes movies. I enjoy some of them, and some of them are trainwrecks... as he'll often admit himself.

it just seems like there's a bit of a bandwagon that vehemently hates him and I just can't tell if he's a genuinely bad person or just someone who has a polarizing personality. I'm sure someone with a greater exposure to him would be able to speak with more confidence, but over in the HDTGM Tusk thread I can tell which way everyone is leaning... so I decided to post this here instead.

I don't know if he is a bad person, but there is enough evidence in his podcasts and other interviews to assert that he's a douche. Maybe a self-effacing douche, but still a douche.

• Like 2