jklmr123

Most Awkward Podcast episodes

Kevin Smith on The X-Files Files was intolerable. From his immediate rambling about needing to be high - a subject he now brings up in every interview incessantly - to his stopping telling a story about his wife to insist that 'a the time' she was "just a woman I was fuckin'", it was awful. Kumail tried his best - but it was intolerable. I have no issue with people getting high. I just think it's creepy that Kevin Smith feels the need to constantly talk about it no matter what the topic of discussion is.

thank you for bringing this up. ugh i love the X Files Files so much and Kumail has had such great guests so far but fuck that episode was a nightmare, what a self centered dickhead. plus the interview was completely pointless, he barely talked about the show and what he had to say was totally meaningless.

• Like 1

thank you for bringing this up. ugh i love the X Files Files so much and Kumail has had such great guests so far but fuck that episode was a nightmare, what a self centered dickhead. plus the interview was completely pointless, he barely talked about the show and what he had to say was totally meaningless.

I felt sort of bad for even posting what I did - because I genuinely like the X Files Files and think Kumail is great. I was never ever a big X Files fan, but his podcast is getting me into the show!

Smith steam-rolled Kumail from moment one (seriously go back and listen to the opening minute of the interview) and never let up. It wasn't a discussion - it was a routine.

I came into this thread to post the Getting Doug With High episode where Kevin Smith would not allow Doug and Brian Posehn to speak without including himself...looks like you guys have it covered.

But seriously if you're interested,

and you'll almost want to scream "SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY" at your monitor.
  • Like 5

Hopefully Doug can bring back Posehn for a one on one GDWH... it was pretty sad to see Kevin just awkwardly steamroll the conversation the whole time.

• Like 2

did anyone else listen to the newest live episode of Harmontown...? Gilbert Gottfried, who Dan met about 10 minutes before the show, was guest comptroller. lots of talk involving race and homosexuality, including a 100% black/gay man was there fielding questions for both groups... also, a very amiable blind guy was ushered on stage and quickly stole the show. oh, and he got them all to stay and play D&D, including Gilbert... who had literally no clue what was going on after he stopped trying to make incessant callbacks for things that were said five minutes before and plugging his new podcast.

did I mention Gilbert Gottfried was on the show?

I really liked that new Harmontown... Probably my favorite since the last Duncan Trussell comptroller episode.

Gilbert is hilarious and doesn't give a shit about anything. That Third Reich joke killed me.

• Like 1

The Mishna episode of WTF will be quite an awkward one I am sure!

The Wayne Federman episode of Dining with Doug and Karen is a total shitshow. Wayne doesn't enjoy challenging food of any sort, so he goes on a podcast where all of the food is deliberately challenging and complains non-stop. The chef (Elyse Lain) starts good-naturedly ribbing him (a professional comedian) about it, and subsequently received a lot of backlash about her "attitude" online.

As always, people on Twitter are a shithead.

• Like 1

The previously stated Glaser stuff on that live YMIW. It was one of the most uncomfortable listening experiences of mylife.

Also with YMIW, the live show from JFL42 this year, which I attended, was just made awkward by Brody Stevens. He was just so aggressively down on the crowd for not lapping up his shitck it was awful. He also made some really uncomfortable comments, that I'm partly blanking on (probably best) that just killed the vibe for a bit. Johnny Pemberton was even calling him out on him being really inappropriate.

Hilariously, I got to fill in Ian Karmel about the whole thing the next night at a bar.

Based on stories like the above, Ari Shaffir seems like a fucking psychopath, and it's astounding that entire LA scene hasn't blackballed him. I don't listen to Skeptic Tank, but I can't say I'm surprised that Paul F. Tompkins—one of the nicest people in the comedy community—apparently wants nothing to do with him.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with that guy?

• Like 7

i cant believe how petty and shitty that guy is, its crazy he decided to do that on television

• Like 6

wow... that's insane! I've listened to him on tons of podcasts in the past and honestly found him to be a pretty compelling character, so that's a bummer. I might take a little heat for saying this, but I feel like the true issue is not that he ridiculed a fellow comedian based on their appearance... it's that the bit is not even remotely funny. seriously, a 3rd grader could come up with something more clever than whatever the fuck that was.

that being said, it's obvious he gets off on this kind of stuff... so he's probably loving the attention.

wow... that's insane! I've listened to him on tons of podcasts in the past and honestly found him to be a pretty compelling character, so that's a bummer. I might take a little heat for saying this, but I feel like the true issue is not that he ridiculed a fellow comedian based on their appearance... it's that the bit is not even remotely funny. seriously, a 3rd grader could come up with something more clever than whatever the fuck that was.

that being said, it's obvious he gets off on this kind of stuff... so he's probably loving the attention.

It's how mean-spirited the whole thing is. As you say, comedians pick on each other all the time, but he just seems to go after her for the sake of it. There's no joke, it's just, 'HAHAHA ONE ARM AND OMG FAT PEOPLE AMIRITE?'. That she reveals they've barely even said a sentence to each other just makes it all the more puzzling and aggressive.

And John Hodgman touched on something on his Tumblr I wondered about as well - who the hell at Comedy Central let this thing air? No one in their production team was like, 'Uhhh, maybe we should edit this bit out?'

• Like 6

I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I've always never really knew what Ari's deal is, sometimes he does and says shit that make me hate him and then he'll go on like Duncan Trussel's podcast (a dude i really respect) and they'll be like buddy buddy and he'll say shit that makes him seem like he's not a total shit head. He's clearly into this whole provocateur thing and I know he's one of those "comedians can joke about anything" people but this shit is just weird, like other people have said, it's not even like a joke.

• Like 1

His first tweet after all this was a link to the bit in the special where he talks about her, so I have a feeling he does not feel particularly bad about it.

• Like 2

His first tweet after all this was a link to the bit in the special where he talks about her, so I have a feeling he does not feel particularly bad about it.

Only an evil piece of shit would be so willfully cruel. Hopefully he's working in a grocery store before long.

• Like 4

I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I've always never really knew what Ari's deal is, sometimes he does and says shit that make me hate him and then he'll go on like Duncan Trussel's podcast (a dude i really respect) and they'll be like buddy buddy and he'll say shit that makes him seem like he's not a total shit head. He's clearly into this whole provocateur thing and I know he's one of those "comedians can joke about anything" people but this shit is just weird, like other people have said, it's not even like a joke.

I hate this shit too.

Just a defense mechanism for crybabies who never learned how to take criticism.

• Like 1

Why would Comedy Central air that shit? That's monstrous! Ugh. I was hoping I'd start my day in a misanthropic rage, and now here I am!

• Like 1

Never laughed at Ari's jokes/videos/podcast appearances. Find him gross. I like this thread's topic, though. Any more recent awkward podcast episodes or moments?

John Gemberling's CDR appearance was mentioned as awkward. Haven't found any of his times on the show awkward. Maybe I missed the episode?

• Like 1

Hopefully Doug can bring back Posehn for a one on one GDWH... it was pretty sad to see Kevin just awkwardly steamroll the conversation the whole time.

Came here to post this. Totally turned me on Kevin Smith, and I grew up liking him, liked the first Evening when I was younger.

He would get visibly upset whenever Doug would talk to Brian, incredulously throwing his hands up and being like "Uhh Doug I'm right here, you're talking through me!"

Also came to post the most recent Professor Blastoff. I'm not even a regular listener but I was told that greaserag (the "prince of pickup")was a guest and had to listen to Tig & co react to him.

The most recent DLM got a little awkward when Gary Gulman talked some shit about Kevin Pollack and the rest of the panel defends him.

Also, how has the Onul Turkel episode of DLM not been mentioned? At least that episode has the satisfaction of the problem guest being kicked off the show.

• Like 1

What about that ep of CBB (may have bee CD-R) with that awful Bob Zmuda/Tony Clifton. The whole ep was just him telling Kaufman stories that everyone in the world has heard 1000 times. And that's what every appearance he's ever done anywhere is like.

• Like 3