🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
lesliefist

Vibrations (1996)

A DJ dressed like robocop with cybernetic hands? This movie is just bonkers. It had the potential to be one of the greatest HDTGM episodes ever.

• Like 1

I love finding obscure crazy shit on this forum. Maybe they could do an ifh/hdtgm crossover and have the incomparable Matt Besser on to discuss this film.

When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of "Vibes" with Cindi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum who play psychics searching for lost treasure in South America:

• Like 1

Wow, I had forgotten about that one, it would also make a great episode. I feel like there's a vast untapped resource of Jeff goldblum films, he's been in some crazy shit.

Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dedicate an episode to Vibrations. It's fucking amazing. Seriously, it's insane and seems to be made for your show. And it's on Netflix, so everyone can watch it.

Loved this when I saw it on Netflix awhile back. Awesome hdtgm potential.

The trailer for the film is in such bad quality it's not worth watching, but someone did post a 13 minute chunk of it that will give you a taste of how incredible this film is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YACHw0FWLHs

From the Netflix plot summary:

"Rising rock star T.J. Cray (played by Twin Peaks' James) gets the shot of a lifetime -- an audition with an A&R man -- but on the big day, a carload of drunks smash into his car, and his hands are severed. Soon, he drops out of the business and becomes a homeless drunk, until one day when he wakes up to a pulsing beat in an abandoned warehouse where a "rave" party is in full swing. There, he meets Anamika (Christina Applegate), who helps reinvent T.J.'s career."

If it's not clear, this is a film about a guy who has HIS HANDS CUT OFF when some vindictive locals fire up a backhoe and squash his car so severely that he wakes up in the hospital to discover he has no hands.

A man with no hands has no reason to live apparently, and so TJ takes to the mean streets of New York city and becomes a cliched homeless alcoholic. After saving Christina Applegate from a mugging/stabbling by using his fake hand to stop a knife blow, he starts hanging around her and her neighbors who are huge fans of the burgeoning "rave" scene of 1990s New York. Applegate's neighbors Geek and Simian (I swear these are their names) join forces to construct electronic hands for TJ, which he then uses to play the keyboard and immmediately becomes a sensation in the rave scene. It gets crazier from there.

This movie is absolutely insane.

cover.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, yes and also yes. The plotline is truly insane and played completely straight. It's as though someone found a rejected Alex Cox script from the 80s and made it for a 90s audience. So much potential here.

Another bump for this one. If you want another tekno-time capsule the likes of Hackers this would do very well. Although Hackers is a pretty competent film in comparison.

YES, YES, and YES. PLEASE do this movie, if for no other reason than to discuss the mind-blanking sequence shown in the clip in the first post.

I just watched this. I KNEW NOTHING GOING IN. Mind blown! The gang needs to do this movie and they should 100% not watch the trailer beforehand. I've been watching bad movies weekly for a year straight and this is by far top 3 craziest. Why did Christina Applegate agree to this film. seriously, HOW DID THIS GET MADE?!!