🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 170 — New Scoop

I missed out on all the BFF stuff because I live in a land down under. What happened? Was it bad promotion? Or did most Americans just fail to appreciate another great TV show?

All of the above, coupled with the fact that the show was on NBC, which:

● Has been in last place among the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) for roughly 10 years

● Has a long track record of not giving good shows the opportunity to grow their audience (SEE ALSO: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien fiasco)

● Are almost entirely reliant on Nielsen ratings for determining the success of a show. Since much of BFF's target audience enjoy modern conveniences like time-shifting (i.e. DVRs) and online viewing (i.e. Hulu), and these services aren't factored into Nielsen, the audience appears disproportionately small.

Given all of these factors, if your show isn't a staggering success from the day it premieres, its cancellation is all but guaranteed.

All of the above, coupled with the fact that the show was on NBC, which:

● Has been in last place among the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) for roughly 10 years

● Has a long track record of not giving good shows the opportunity to grow their audience (SEE ALSO: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien fiasco)

● Are almost entirely reliant on Nielsen ratings for determining the success of a show. Since much of BFF's target audience enjoy modern conveniences like time-shifting (i.e. DVRs) and online viewing (i.e. Hulu), and these services aren't factored into Nielsen, the audience appears disproportionately small.

Given all of these factors, if your show isn't a staggering success from the day it premieres, its cancellation is all but guaranteed.

Nielsen ratings are as outdated as microwave cookbooks.

That really sucks.

Nielsen ratings are as outdated as microwave cookbooks.

That really sucks.

I have a dream that Earwolf will one day be big enough to produce original series, sell season passes via their own store, and pick up great series (like BFF or Party Down or Jon Benjamin Has A Van or...) that have been cancelled by moronic TV executives.

I note that they already own the domain earwolf.tv. Ahem.

• Like 1

Hahaha, nice homage to the highlight of this episode Tom Brien. I'm glad you also immediately thought back to the awkwardly long surf rock riff.

Listen, Scottabot, please get Martin back as soon as possible.

Are you listening Scottabot? This guy was nothing short of perfect in his debut. God damn he was cracking me up and has such instantly great chemistry with you. Have him on again soooooooon.

Sign in to follow this