🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 42 — Batman & Robin

I can't believe no one on the show (especially when they mentioned the rampant anti-feminism) mentioned this gem from Elle MacPherson (the most laughably zero-dimensional character in an all-star cast of one-dimensional characters):

"Show me how the satellites work."

SHOW ME HOW THE SATELLITES WORK!

I've listened to every HDTGM and this is the first time I actually watched the movie in preparation. Totally worth it. Every bit as hilariously awful as I remember. There are SO MANY weird/ridiculous/awful things about this movie that the podcast could have been two hours long. Anyway, they did a great job and hit most of the high/low points. Great choices of guests since both were funny and obviously knew a lot about the series and the characters in general.

• Like 1

The cartoon that Jesse Falcon references is part of the The New Batman Adventures series. The episode with the kids making fun of Batman and Robin is called "The Legends of the Dark Knight." Here some guy on Youtube made a video discussing it. Cut to the the 9 minute mark and he describes the same scene that Jesse mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZiWUHcJzik

Love the show, please keep them coming.

You guys asked at the end what's the worst super hero movie? I must say it's Shaq's 1997 movie Steel where he plays DC superhero Steel. Check it out! Here is a link for the home video trailer (Icould not find the theatrical one)

Can we take a moment to talk about Alfred's eyebrows in batman forever? Holy shit I'm pretty sure he has two squirrels attached to his face

Wow, looking at imdb credits. This movie also killed Chris O'Donnell's movie career and exiled him to television.

The thing with camp is that in order to make it work, you have to play it completely straight. Adam West knew this.

But 90 minutes of George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell being smug douches smirking at every "cute" line they deliver? No so much.

I think this episode exemplified for me what I love about the concept of How Did This Get Made; Jesse Falcon offered some real juicy industry insight as someone who has been involved with projects similar to the topic of discussion, and Matt Mira, as a fan, brought some clarity to the intention of Batman & Robin's muddled plotline. For me, HDTGM is at its worst when there are two or more people talking over one another, each adding little perspective versus opinion, and invariably, the wailing refrain "I don't understand this mooooooovie! / What is going onnnn?!" comes out, and that's when you know that the comedy is stuck in neutral and somebody's just padding. The plotline and character motivation in Batman & Robin are not the hard bits to figure out; the hows and whys of how it got there stylistically and come off so badly are the real reasons I'm a fan of HDTGM, and this episode is one I'll be pointing my friends to as an entry point for the show. Thanks, guys!

I think this episode exemplified for me what I love about the concept of How Did This Get Made; Jesse Falcon offered some real juicy industry insight as someone who has been involved with projects similar to the topic of discussion, and Matt Mira, as a fan, brought some clarity to the intention of Batman & Robin's muddled plotline. For me, HDTGM is at its worst when there are two or more people talking over one another, each adding little perspective versus opinion, and invariably, the wailing refrain "I don't understand this mooooooovie! / What is going onnnn?!" comes out, and that's when you know that the comedy is stuck in neutral and somebody's just padding. The plotline and character motivation in Batman & Robin are not the hard bits to figure out; the hows and whys of how it got there stylistically and come off so badly are the real reasons I'm a fan of HDTGM, and this episode is one I'll be pointing my friends to as an entry point for the show. Thanks, guys!

It's funny, because one of my favorite things in the podcast is when a guest or (usually) Jason are completely broken by a terrible movie and just cry out to the movie gods asking 'WHY?! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!!'. I guess because I can completely empathize with that feeling, as some movies simply don't deserve intelligent discourse. It reminds me of those rare occasions on MST3K when Joel or Mike & the bots were driven over the edge by a particularly bad movie (e.g., Manos the Hands of Fate, Invasion of the Neptune Men, etc.).

I actually thought this episode suffered a bit from Jason not being in the studio and June Diane being absent, but it was still quite good.

There was indeed a proposed Batgirl outfit with not only Batnipples but also a boob window that was, of course, bat-shaped.

It was discussed and a sketch shown in the article ComicsAlliance Reviews: The Fashion of 'Batman & Robin'.

You might wonder how this would look in reality. Well, wonder no further because cosplayer Barbara Wilson actually created and wore this costume.

You're welcome.

The scene from Batman Forever where Chris O' Donnel does his laundry was lifted from this kung fu movie from 1981.

Also I think you can pick up a DVD with a 4 90s Batman movies at Target relatively cheap.

RIP, you crazy bastard. I quite enjoyed both Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, insofar as it is possible to do so, and honestly I would rather watch either of them again than either of Burton's. Though really, I could probably go the rest of my life happily without seeing any Batman movies ever again, except for Mask of the Phantasm, and maybe that crazy looking new one with Edward Cullen.