🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

On the Batman & Robin podcast you guys talked about what is the worst super hero movie. Well I must say it's 1997's Steel. Staring Shaq as DC comics Super Hero and Superman's colleague Steel. It's so bad! Terrible plot about stoping a drug dealer. Shaq and his crippled army buddy team up so he can become the metal wearing hero named Steal. Bad acting, bad writing, corny 90's action, everything about this film is bad.

Here is a link to the home video trailer (I couldn't find the theatrical one)

YES. I remember being so excited for this movie, and then being SO disappointed.

Like Catwoman, Steel is a character that just shouldn't be bothered with if they're going to exist outside of whatever franchise they're known for, as they are both very much reliant on the existence of that flagship character. Oh, and I love how Steel is clearly a seven-foot tall black man, there really isn't any way to hide the fact, and people STILL DON'T IMMEDIATELY MAKE THE CONNECTION between him and his civilian identity.

This reminds me too, there was a time when there was talk of there being a Venom movie that had no ties to Spidey. I don't remember if it was while the Spider-Man rights were still up in the air, but one studio (maybe New Line) had the Venom rights, and it was possible (a slim possibility I'm sure...) that that would have beat Spidey to the silver screen.

Just bumping this one, as I just suggested it on For your Inconsideration! With "Man of Steel" on the way, this would be perfect!

Actually, I think Puma Man is probably the worst superhero movie ever.

But Steel is pretty bad.

• Like 1

Actually, I think Puma Man is probably the worst superhero movie ever.

But Steel is pretty bad.

Oh Jesus, I just remembered "Meteor Man" too. Still, a Shaq Superman-related vanity project trumps all.

Reading the Wikipedia page on this movie was kind of funny, because apparently Quincy Jones (who produced the movie [?!]) said in an interview that it wasn't so much a "superhero" movie as it was a "super-human being" movie. Can you imagine someone trying to make that distinction nowadays? It's the kind of evasive thing you hear when a "legitimate" director tries his hand at a horror film: "Oh, it's not horror, it's a suspenseful thriller."

Don't forget Spawn and Blankman. Hollywood seems to struggle making good movies about black superheroes. Not counting the X-Men series, Sam Jackson's Nick Fury, or Don Cheadle's "Patriot-Bot" (or whatever the fuck they renamed War Machine) I'd say Hancock comes closest. A Luke Cage movie is in development, though, and that could be a great new introduction to a classic character.

Shaq does more running in the opening bank heist scene than he did in entire NBA seasons.

Do this only for June's reaction to "Well dip me in shit and cover me in Bread crumbs!"

Was just watching this movie and wondering how it has never been one of the movies on the show before. This film is laughably bad and I seriously can't imagine how anybody involved in this thought it was a good idea. I hope to see this film on HDTGM soon.

Yeah, and Judd Nelson is the best actor in the film that also features Shaq's over-emoting eyebrows, the slowest chase sequences ever filmed, the studio feeling the need to remind everybody Shaq is a basketball player by referencing to it every other scene, including a scene where life or death depends on Shaq making a basketball placed shot. Shaq is so awkwardly goofy and looks so incredibly funny in the full costume, I don't see how an exec didn't look at him and pull the plug. Who actually thought this film could be a hit? That being said, it's absolutely hilarious.

Hey guys Shaq's mom is just trying to bake the perfect souffle. So if you could go ahead and keep it quiet that'd be great.

Also, Judd Nelson's lair is in an arcade.

• Like 1

I recently had a urge to watch a lot of bad DC Comics movies; Green Lantern, Catwoman, Return of Swamp Thing, etc. Once I discovered I couldn't get Steel on Netflix, I had to go to one of the few remaining rental stores here in Tucson to find it. After hunting high and low for it in the store, I finally got it and when I brought it up to the counter, the clerk asked me if I was the guy who called earlier in the day about it. Good to know I wasn't the only person hunting for this dud.

It's a terrible movie, but if Paul, June and Jason were to ever cover this, I don't think they'd be as hard on it as they were other comic movies. It does have sort of an innocent charm to it, like it's almost geared towards a younger audience. Plus, comparisons to the first Iron Man movie should be flowing pretty freely.

Best performance of the movie was John Hawkes as the mugger.

Sign in to follow this