🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 2 — Multitasking

The rookie and grizzled veteran are back this week with an episode of Love, Dad! Dave & Jeff discuss sharing attention with multiple children, proving dads are funny with the clean joke of the week, and being prepared with the responsibility of spending a one-on-one day with your child. Also, Dave & Jeff share a tool of the week and offer each other a little mutual advice on balancing time.

As a dude, I used to feel weird wearing my son in a sling when he was little but it was great to get stuff done and carry him around back when he was tiny and portable. Looking back it was silly to feel weird about it. He's 10 now and is amazing in a million ways.

- I'm grateful for any stretch of uninterrupted time to concentrate- to read, to work.

- I'm grateful to work in a "creative" industry that allows a teensy bit of flexibility when it comes to rescuing sick kids from school after they recreate the green puke scene from the Exorcist all over the school nurse.

- I'm grateful to live in an era that expects more of dads.

- Since starting down the dad road in 1997 I've neglected friendships from college, etc. and I'm grateful for the ones who still return my phone calls.

- I'm grateful for anything at all that makes me laugh, and that includes a half dozen Earwolf offerings.

- I'm grateful that Barry's post reminded me to edit this post to include my list

• Like 2

Oh boy Jeff, you have a long way to go my friend. Always remember, the first year is the easy part. It may not seem like it now, but when you look back you will agree. The reason I say that is because you really don't do any "parenting" until they start to walk. And then the tantrums!!!!!! I thought Jeff's first day alone sounding pretty on par with my first time in that situation. Unfortunately, the amount of nap time you may get varies from each kid. When my 3 year old was an infant, she would nap for an hour and a half whereas our 11 month old naps for maybe 15-30 minutes max which basically means no more naps for mommy and daddy what so ever!

Gratitude list:

1. I'm grateful that I have a wife that can put up with me

2. I'm greatful that I my 2 girls are healthy (today)

3. I'm grateful that I can listen to this podcast

4. I'm grateful that my youngest daughter is an eater

5. I'm grateful for the hour I get to relax after I get the kids to sleep.

• Like 2

My daughter knows I have band-aids in my wallet and I'm pretty sure she thinks she is invincible as a result. As if she thinks, 'I can fling myself out of this tree, my dad has band-aids.'

Great start to a new show. Can't wait to hear more.

What serendipity, to have this podcast come along a mere 3 months after my daughter was born. Other Dad focused podcasts tend towards fathers with older kids, but this one strikes a nice balance. Plus, Jeff and Dave are good guys who actually love their wives and families.

Anyway, Jeff: embrace the Baby Bjorn. It's the greatest invention ever. It allows for everything you guys talked about in episode 2 - mobility and free hands plus connection and quality bonding time with the baby. It sooths a restless baby, allowing her to feel safe and comfortable while looking around and noticing things. I go on walks with my daughter several times a week. She loves oggling the outside world, and I get to bond with her while getting exercise.

Just my two cents. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

As I type this, my 3 youngest kiddos are hovering around me - FIGHTING with each other over the fact that one of them won't share all of his new bday things with them. . . I feel like most of day is spent trying to remember what I was just saying.

I can relate with Dave on the dividing up time with kids situation. For me, since I'm a stay at home dad and with them all always - whenever I leave to run an errand when my wife is home the kids take turns coming with me one at a time.

And Jeff, I always feel guilty when I do something without my kids. I'm at home everyday with them and definitely deserve some time away once in a while. Whenever I take that time (maybe once every 3 months or so) I feel awful about it and always try to justify staying home anyways. Sometimes I think I have Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to my house and kids.

• Like 1

I love listening to this podcast. I have a daughter that's 2 and I've never had a good male role model growing up. Being a dad has been something that I've had to piece together on my own since I started the journey.

I would be interested to hear your guys' stories on your dads/male role models. Not having one growing up makes me curious how others feel having one and how it affects their lives and the lives of their children.

Thanks for a great podcast. All of a sudden, I feel like my life has been pulled into some Harmonic Convergence with David Koechner.

I had the pleasure of interviewing David Koechner for a small television station in Elmwood Park, IL while he was at Second City and was blessed to have had the opportunity. As life has changed and I have moved around, I have seen him show up in various roles from time to time.

This week, I accidentally stumble upon him during an episode of Hollywood Babble On. Then, just before running out the door to drive from Springfield to St Louis, I stumble upon your podcast. Twice in one week on two different shows. Let’s just say the two podcasts could not be more different. With one podcast my wife’s ears would burn off, and the other one she would think he was sweet. It was nice to see his social conscious show up from time to time on both.

There is great insight from both of you on this show. Keep up the fantastic work!

Gratitude List

1. Dancing with my children Izzy and Seph to “Call Me Maybe” (leave me alone, the kids love it) before I had to leave town for the night.

2. Having my wife Brooke hug me and pray over me before leaving on my trip. She is my everything.

3. Having David Koechner continue to show up in my life in weird and interesting ways. He won’t remember the interview, but I was a young kid out of college and my first chance at any sort of television work. Basically Wayne’s World with slightly better equipment. I’ll never forget it.

4. Finding the Love, Dad podcast.

5. Having a healthy family and parents.

Another great episode Jeff & Dave.

This rookie dad listened to it at the beginning of day 2 of a full week alone with his 11 month-old son.

I think it can be scary to take care of your child alone the first time, but I have enjoyed the responsibility and the freedom to make decisions without running them by my partner (no disagreements, second-guessing, etc). Whoops. I didn't mean to sound sour. I just mean to say that if you are part of an over-involved parenting team, there are some perks to doing it by yourself at times.

Keep them coming guys!

I was totally hooked by the multitasking theme. I work from home a couple days a week, and I'm always trying to figure out how to get my work done and spend some quality time with my almost 2 year old. Where do you draw the line between seeing him have fun jumping on the bed and being able to read what you're doing in that same bed? I dunno.Being a dad is SO HARD!

Sign in to follow this