🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 11 — The Fogelnest Files

Welcome to the first episode of The Fogelnest Files! Jake Fogelnest has scoured the Internet and his personal archives for cool stuff to show you. This first episode was recorded live at UCBEAST as part of the CBGB Festival with special guests Julie Klausner and Chris Gethard! Jake, Julie, and Chris have a civilized discussion about Punk rock by watching a series of clips which include; a tape faced Sex Pistols fan, Jello Biafra explaining the Beastie Boys to Oprah, an infomercial for a hardcore Punk CD compilation, The Ramones on Regis and Kathie Lee, and FEAR’s legendary performance on “Saturday Night Live.” Tweens enter at your own risk.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this. I love every appearance Fogelnest has had on every other podcast I listen to. Now to start listening.

EDIT: Listened. Loved it. The subject matter was near and dear to me, although I'm a generation late being part of the late 90's hardcore scene. I will say that 'My War' is probably the best album of the 80's. Can't wait for this time next month. Thanks.

Wow! This is terrific. Didn't expect this to be on my iPod this morning, but I loved it. More!

Is there a place to see the videos?

http://videosift.com/video/FEAR-Saturday-Night-Live-1981-Historic-Performance

...starts out looking like the 12 dupe of a stretched tape, but improves...the DC punks remained pretty confused/amused as to why they were invited (someone thought they'd be easier to control than local punks?), but of course most of the press the next day was apparently fictional accounts of DC punks trashing the studio. (Those were the halcyon days in punk of goofballs talking tough about Their Scene vs. Yours, but then again there were folks about, like [Ms.] Lefty in DC, fondly remembered by some for being willing let anyone who bothered her in some way know of her displeasure, whomever they might be.)

"Huey Lewis isn't punk, but The News is punk as fuck." (And for the record, "Mickey" by Toni Basil was the least punk song in the compilation.)

Really fun show.

I enjoyed this podcast a lot! If I may offer one small constructive criticism though: I think there wre too many clips. This is the kind of podcast that centers on what the guests are saying, and this one didn't leave them room to breathe. All the clips were great though--I suspect that Fogelnest just couldn't help himself because he had so much great material to choose from. Totally understandable, but I think if you spread things out more the podcast would be better for it. Also, this seems like the thing that could easily leave you burned out if you feel like every episode needs to be packed with material.

Other than that though, I love it. Hell, even with that, I love it! Great concept, fantastic material, and very good execution considering it's the first time you've done this. I could easily see this becoming one of my favorites. Hope to see many more!

I enjoyed this podcast a lot! If I may offer one small constructive criticism though: I think there wre too many clips. This is the kind of podcast that centers on what the guests are saying, and this one didn't leave them room to breathe. All the clips were great though--I suspect that Fogelnest just couldn't help himself because he had so much great material to choose from. Totally understandable, but I think if you spread things out more the podcast would be better for it. Also, this seems like the thing that could easily leave you burned out if you feel like every episode needs to be packed with material.

Other than that though, I love it. Hell, even with that, I love it! Great concept, fantastic material, and very good execution considering it's the first time you've done this. I could easily see this becoming one of my favorites. Hope to see many more!

A lot of the material speaks for itself. Klausner and Gethard don't have to tell you why it's funny. They almost weren't needed to say anything most of the time.

I suspect that Fogelnest just couldn't help himself because he had so much great material to choose from. Totally

Totally. Just getting started so trying to find the right balance of how much stuff and how long things should be. Really appreciate you listening.

Sign in to follow this