🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
chunkytehgooch

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)

If the show did an episode about this movie, they would have to change its name to 'How Did This ABSOLUTE SLICE OF AWESOME Get Made?'

• Like 7

This is a horror-comedy slasher flick that is way more entertaining then you would think. Stars Alan Tudyk (Alan Twodicks), Tyler Labine, and Katrina Bowden from 30 rock. It is charmingly bad and a must see...

• Like 1

This and Cabin in the Woods are such great examples of a meta-horror movie turning the horror genre upside down. Scream did an okay job of having characters know the rules for surviving a horror movie, but still relied on the usual slasher tropes. I loved that T&D showed the movie from the "killer redneck" side while at the same time making it seem plausible to the "victims" that they were killers.

You liked your own post?

• Like 6

Somebody already suggested this. And someone else replied perfectly:

If the show did an episode about this movie, they would have to change its name to 'How Did This ABSOLUTE SLICE OF AWESOME Get Made?'
  • Like 1

I don't think it's "charmingly bad" at all. It's really good.

It would be like saying Hell Baby is charmingly bad. (Hell Baby is fantastic, by the way!) Everything that takes place in Tuck & Dale is totally intentional. And I agree -- good, fun movie.

And yes, like Ryan Sz said, great concept in flipping that genre on its head. It was hilarious how the kids acted exactly like all those kids in 80s slasher did. Aside from the aforementioned Cabin In The Woods (which is a different beast, much more meta going on there), are there any other movies like this?

• Like 1

It would be like saying Hell Baby is charmingly bad. (Hell Baby is fantastic, by the way!) Everything that takes place in Tuck & Dale is totally intentional. And I agree -- good, fun movie.

And yes, like Ryan Sz said, great concept in flipping that genre on its head. It was hilarious how the kids acted exactly like all those kids in 80s slasher did. Aside from the aforementioned Cabin In The Woods (which is a different beast, much more meta going on there), are there any other movies like this?

Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon is another great meta look at horror movies, slashers in particular. It actually has a semi-similar story like Cabin in the Woods. The first half is a mockumentary about an aspiring slasher who is the recent in a long line of others who kill kids in order to keep the fear alive. It mentions slashers like Michael Myers, Jason, and Freddy, and even goes into detail for reasons why certain things happen in movies like the seemingly normal weapons of defense break after one swing, or why the windows are always jammed. The second part of the movie goes back to being a regular slasher but it is still a pretty good meta-horror movie.

I googled for similar movies for both Cabin and T&D they each showed up. Other than that a bunch of recent horror movies were mentioned but they were just straight up horror movies. The only close thing to these two was the Scream series which just acknowledged the cliches but within a slasher setting.

So Hell Baby was good? I've been hearing good things about it.

I like Tyler Labine, as I was a fan of his from the Reaper days. I watched that show because of Ray wise was in it and I'll watch anything with Ray wise so I watch a lot of crap at times.

This was a not so bad summer horror flix. it's a bit campy but it is a fun little movie to watch. Nothing over the top crazy comes to mind about it.

I went and watched this immediately after reading this thread, just finished, good movie! It had actually been sitting in my queue for a long time now and never got around to it, glad it was brought up here. There's absolutely no reason for this to be featured on the podcast.

You guys should check out butterfly room. with Ray wise in it, it's good.

I did watch hell baby, I enjoyed the poorboy scene in that film.

I can't wait to see Bad Milo. look that one up in youtube.

I watched this on Netflix the other day. Much to my surprise, I really liked it. Alan Tudyk can do no wrong.

This movie is legitimately great. Like Ryan Sz said, it does a great job of turning the horror genre on its head within an actual horror comedy. And unlike the high-concept take of Cabin in the Woods (which is also good times), it does this with the simple conceit of flipping the typical point of view. Watch it, love it, put an Alan Tudyk poster on your wall.

I don't know, I feel like this would go against the trend of the flick having some of the following qualities: big budget, big marketing, or big actors that the podcast seems to aim for more & more each episode.

Just wanted to bring this one back to the top of the list. I try to pass this one along as one to watch as often as I can. The name might turn people off for some reason. I know several people who said they thought about watching it but had never pulled the trigger.

This movie is great, it probably is too good for the podcast. At least until the twist ending, it was my least favorite part.