🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 44 — Jaws 4: The Revenge

Bipolar moms. shark senses, and bad Jamaican accents are all covered in this week’s How Did This Get Made? We welcome Jake Fogelnest to chat about a movie sequel that promises to be personal, Jaws 4: The Revenge! So be sure to join us for an important discussion on Mario Van Peebles’s fully improvised role, the lost cocaine/voodoo subplot, and an ending that did not benefit from being re-shot.

• Like 1

I wasn't excited when I heard they were doing this one because I had not seen it since I was a boy and didn't remember it being that bad.

I was wrong.

I think this was one of the best episodes yet of HDTGM. The interaction between Jake and the rest is just great.

• Like 1

Great episode analyzing a terrible movie. I found the little girl's voice so shrill and grating. I'm surprised they did not talk on the podcast about the young actress Judith Barsi and the tragic death of her and her parents. Her father shot her and her mother, set fire to their house and them shot himself. She was unusually small for her age and was around 8 years old but looked more like 5. I vaguely remember her from commercials and sitcoms from the eighties. I can see how she was well suited for commercials but not so much for dramatic roles. Sad to see another child star tragedy.

Jake Fogelnest really added a lot to this since he was able to bring in some interesting facts about the production and other stuff surrounding the movie.

Wait, did I miss it or did you guys not talk about the shark roaring?

If you missed this part, then listen to the ep again. Jason is hilariously outraged by the shark roaring.

The ending in the theaters was the shark being stab by the prow, gushing blood and sinking along with part of the ship. I'm not sure whether they added the explosion ending for cable or the dvd release.

I was forced to see this in theaters, because I was outvoted by the group I was with. ;(

Ridiculous movie, impossible premise, host outrage...this was classic HDTGM. I always appreciate June's determination to find an explanation for the most insane things- as is with the "I guess he smells their blood...."

• Like 1

Ridiculous movie, impossible premise, host outrage...this was classic HDTGM. I always appreciate June's determination to find an explanation for the most insane things- as is with the "I guess he smells their blood...."

I think 'voodoo curse' makes a lot more sense. Also, how great was the way they talked about when the one guy got his arm bitten off?

• Like 1

This was a fun episode! Loved the way everyone tried to figure out a logical way it could all fit together (the idea that one character was having a flashback to a documentary about the previous movies was excellent).

Another of my favorite podcasts, qn, covered Jaws 2 a while ago and that was also pretty great: http://quirkynomads....1/07/04/jaws-2/

• Like 1

I'm surprised that you didn't mention/know that there were two different endings. One where Jake (Mario Van Peebles) dies by getting eaten and taken down underwater by the shark and another ending where he comes up alive after the shark blows up. Which had to be at least 10 minutes of being underwater, inside the shark and half eaten. But somehow miraculously survives all of that and the shark exploding and swims back up to the surface in pretty good condition, and I believe cracks a joke.

Truly so much WTFery in this one. It seems like Caine isn't even wet when he gets on the boat after, also, miraculously surviving being eaten by the shark also...Not to get too nerdy but is interesting to see how June and Paul have fun trying to make sense of the absurdity, which I think I reflects in NTSF:SUV:SD:: to some degree...Did y'all see the hat tip to WWW in last week's episode??

A good deal was made about how Joseph Sargent, the director of J:TR (because what great/awful movie doesn't look better abbreviated), also directed The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, and how good that was. But did you check out the REST of his career? Goldengirl? White Lightning? Nightmares?

I know I'm stealing from Seinfeld, but Pelham 1-2-3 (TTOP123?) was basically "discovering plutonium by accident".

I remember seeing this as a kid lol, keeping in mind that Roy Schneider and Mario Van Peebles were arguably to of coolest people in my opinion at the time. However its an absurd film, but I am glad they made it. May I recommend for your consideration Tintorera, the sexiest shark movie ever made.

If you missed this part, then listen to the ep again. Jason is hilariously outraged by the shark roaring.

my favorite parts are when jason is hilariously outraged.

The Jaws game for NES now makes complete sense. I never understood how collecting conch shells connected to the movie when I was a kid, but had never seen this one.

I also think I know where they got the idea from for Hermes in Futurama.

I just listened to this one and noticed a doozy from the movie wasn't mentioned in the show. When Mrs. Brody views her dead son's body (unemotionally, I might add), the other deputy passes her Mike's belongings...including his service weapon! It's right on top of the pile. Is she deputized? If not, I have a hard time believing you can just give a weapon away.

4:44 in this clip shows his gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHbf_h9Q5QI