🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DanEngler

New Catchphrase Suggestions are moving to Twitter

tl;dr: This forum will be shutting down on August 1. If you want to submit new Catchphrase Suggestions, sign up for a Twitter account and tweet them to @CBBCatchphrases.

Why is this happening?
The forums are on their last legs.

1. Participation here has fallen off a cliff in favor of Reddit, Twitter, the HDTGM Discord, etc.
  2. The service the forum uses to send email is being phased out, which means members are already having trouble signing up/logging in and these problems will only get worse.
  3. Without constant vigilance, the forums are flooded with spam. 50% of new user registrations—more than 200 within the past two months—are from spambots, and I have been forced to hand-approve new accounts and disable private messages to keep them in check.
  4. I haven't been able to get any traction with Earwolf on the tech side. Their priorities are understandably elsewhere.
  5. After eight years of volunteering, I'm the only admin who still visits the forums and, soon, I won't have time.

Why don't you just open up registrations and let the chips fall where they may?
Scott still relies on user submissions for Catchphrases and Plugs Themes every week. In fact, 2021 has probably been the best year ever for Plugs Themes! It would be irresponsible for me to retire without providing a path forward.

Why Twitter?
Twitter handles all of the registrations, emails, and (in theory) spam protection themselves. Scott can easily check the list of incoming catchphrases and bookmark the ones he likes. And the @CBBCatchphrases account can mute anyone who becomes a nuisance.

I don't have a Twitter account.
You also didn't have an Earwolf Forums account before signing up!

I'm Scott/an Earwolf producer and I want access to the @CBBCatchphrases account.
DM me on Twitter and I'll transfer control to you.

Thanks for your understanding!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Well.. Shit. This was a fun time for a while! Thanks for being a Badass!

• Like 1

Doh!! I guess I shouldn't have called some MAGA dude a cunt {British usage} and got banned...Thanks for the funny shit in this forum. Peace, all!

• Like 1

With all due respect, this is fucking bullshit. You're moving an "anything goes" forum to a platform that routinely censors people at whim.

Also, your argument that we "didn't have an Earwolf Forums account before signing up" is also bullshit, because the difference is that I actually wanted an Earwolf account.

Twitter. Jesus christ, seriously.

Actually, thinking about it, is there any way I could offer up my volunteer service as an Admin? (Serious request.) Or is it not only an issue of volunteers? Because I would be more than happy to dedicate some of my time every day to keep the forums ticking over if it would save them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobOdentwerk said:

Actually, thinking about it, is there any way I could offer up my volunteer service as an Admin? (Serious request.) Or is it not only an issue of volunteers?

Like I said, the software and services underpinning this thing have been failing in ways that can only be addressed by Earwolf's tech staff and, given the tiny number of active users, it doesn't appear to be a priority. Moving to Twitter probably represents the lowest amount of friction for Scott (since he's already there) and anyone who cares to participate.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, DanEngler said:

I'm Scott/an Earwolf producer and I want access to the @CBBCatchphrases account.

Question: if we DON'T want access to the @CBBCatchphrases account, do we have to specify, and does it matter if we are Scott/an Earwolf producer or not/an Earwolf producer?

12 hours ago, DanEngler said:

Like I said, the software and services underpinning this thing have been failing in ways that can only be addressed by Earwolf's tech staff and, given the tiny number of active users, it doesn't appear to be a priority. Moving to Twitter probably represents the lowest amount of friction for Scott (since he's already there) and anyone who cares to participate.

That's fair, thanks for the explanation!

I just got here 😫

tho I guess I’ve always been self conscious about using my standard profile name, and not some kooky name like DonJuanSawMyButthole, or something