🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Liked this movie as a kid but its so bad....

Set in the future, Superpowers fight wars with huge robots. They are fighting for Alaska's natural resources.....80's B-movie magic!

Link to trailer:

This movie was great. I saw it for the first time in Jr High and I loved it. Obviously, my brain wasn't fully formed at that age, but when it came out on DVD I bought it and I still enjoyed it. The robot models are great, although they get a little hokey when they fly into space at one point. But the on the ground fight scenes are legitimately awesome. The DVD does allow you to notice that Athena uses a male stunt double for when she's fighting outside the robot, which is amusing.

The dystopian future brought to life in late 80's style is great, as pointed out by other posts and gifs.

And best of all, it's coming out on Blu-Ray soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Jox-Blu-ray-Robert-Sampson/dp/B00VX222X2/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1431015862&sr=1-1&keywords=robot+jox

I'm replying again to move this movie back to the top of the list. I absolutely need this movie to be watched by the HDTGM crew. And the people want it, too. This topic is "HOT" and has over 2,000 views.

The stop motion is great, and it was done by David Allen who has worked on Flash Gordon, The Howling, Caveman(!), *batteries not included (which you should probably also watch), Willow, Ghoulies II, Ghostbusters II, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and pretty much any movie with the words "Puppet Master" in the title.

It's got Gary Graham, who is one of the ultimate "That Guy" actors and Michael Alldredge, who is another good "that guy". The screenplay was written by award winning author Joe Haldeman, who most famous for "The Forever War". It's directed by Stuart Gordon whose resume doesn't have a credit on it that wouldn't make a great episode of How Did This Get Made? There are five uploads of the full movie on YouTube all with different run times.

Please watch this film for an episode. Or even just for a Friday night and then call me and we'll talk about it. That would be enough.

it's out on blue ray in about 3 weeks. I'll send you a copy if need be. I've got that kind of cash.

• Like 1

This movie definitely needs to be done. I loved this movie as a kid and watched it recently...I could not believe the ridiculous things going on.

Years ago I managed to imdb this movie after cobbling together random bits of childhood memories of this movie. I've been trying to find torrent or nzb of it ever since but just can't find a reasonable one... It's my science fiction white whale.

I'll always have affection for this one, because a: it was my entree into the world of low budget filmmaker Charles Band (who produced), and b: everything I subsequently watched from Charles Band was SO MUCH WORSE - including the far less entertaining "Robot Wars" and the "oops our option on Dr. Strange lapsed during pre-production" cheapie "Dr. Mordred: Master of the Unknown".

Robot Jox hits the cheese bullseye and it's from that last generation when people in the exploitation/knockoff/etc. world still might use stop-motion animation, which is so much more charming than terrible CGI.

It's like Pacific Rim and the Cold War put together! This is one of those Mandela Effect movies for me, I couldn't remember the title and no one knew what I was talking about when I asked around. It's so great and so bad and perfect for HDTGM!

• Like 1

i only saw this for the first time today and now i'm wondering why. it's well worth a watch. i didn't even notice the 80 odd minutes going by. it's worth watching just for the final battle alone. hopefully it gets some HDTGM attention in the future so i'll have an excuse to rewatch it

• Like 1

Why hasn't this flick been covered yet by the HDTGM gang?  Holy cow it's totally qualified for endless reasons aside from being a giant piece of crap lol.  I always remembered the trailer as a kid with the main dude going 'I'm going to get in this thing, and I'm going to kick...your...ass!' lmfao so lame.

I can't tell you how genuinely happy it would make me right now to walk into a movie theater, buy a bucket of popcorn, and sit down to watch a giant budget remake of Robot Jox from the makers of John Wick with a Jason Momoa robot fighting with a crazy Russian Nicolas Cage robot. That level of joy would add a year to my life. 

Robot Jox yo, just sayin'.  This movie would be a fun ride to take with the gang. lol.

Sign in to follow this