🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
pscudese

A Christmas Story 2

From Brian Levant, director of Snow Dogs and Jingle All the Way.

IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Noooooo... Someone actually made this?!?! This may be the worst movie I will watch title-to-credits.

You guys have to do, A Christmas Story 2.  

I like how in the trailer it points out that this is the official sequel, and not to be confused with the unofficial sequel, like there is one. this just looks terrible.

You guys have to do, A Christmas Story 2.

I like how in the trailer it points out that this is the official sequel, and not to be confused with the unofficial sequel, like there is one. this just looks terrible.

Well, there actually was a sequel to "Christmas Story" already, in fact, with the same director and Jean Shepherd narrating, but with a completely different cast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Summer_Story

There were also a handful of PBS teleplays based on other stories he'd written, again involving the same family but with different actors.

Whatever this new thing is seems to be about as far from official as possible, making its existence even more insulting.

I actually sat down and watched this horrible, horrible movie today. Of the many, many horrible takeaways, I have to lead with one over all thought: How can a movie rip off the plot of the first one, and yet totally miss the point of the first movie.

The first was a lot of stories and gags, but was about a kid getting a cherished Christmas toy, and that's the point, a simple story. The sequel tries to impart a lesson. I'm not sure what it is because, well, it fails so totally and miserably, but I think it's something about working hard or some such crap. This movie cannot get out of its own way long enough to sustain a clear message.

The "plot" is driven about 15 plot-lines of barely incoherent stories, non-sequitors, and failed call-backs, centered around a teenage Ralphie wanting a car/wanting to pay for damage to a car/winning the dream girl; I can't freaking tell what the main idea is. Around this flimsy premise this a set of crummy subplots, such as furnace fighting, Randy breaking a filling, or the Dad being a cheapskate. All are devoid of any charm or like-ability.

The actor who plays Ralphie, IMO, looks nothing like the original. And he's not very good, stumbling through awkwardly delivered dialog with all the charm of a dead skunk. Randy, however, is spot on and, funnily enough, it the smartest character in the movie. The mother creeped me out the whole movie, because her face never moved. Not that she had no emotion, but the muscles never actually moved. Like a bizarre botox experiment gone wrong. But by far was the WORST thing about this movie was the only above the title actor, Daniel Stern. And this performance was awful. I can't even find the words to describe how bad it was. 80 minutes of painful scene chewing, he attempted to give the character depth it didn't want and didn't need, and failed spectacularly. It's hard to think this guy ever had any acting chops, because it doesn't show through.

The direction, well, it was from the same guy who directed "Jingle All the Way," Brian Levant. I think that fact speaks for itself. Same for the writer, former "Doctor Dolittle" scribe, Nat Mauldin.

So, should you see this movie. No. It's so very, very bad. And not in any sort of a fun way, it's just a poor knock-off that doesn't deserve the Christmas Story moniker. Only to be watched as a curiosity, or out of sheer boredom.

khnyr44, that bad eh.. I am sorry to hear that. it looked bad but I wasn't sure how deep down the toilet it had gone..

Ohh well. thanks for reporting back..

It definitely looks like it belongs and yet... this feels almost like it's trying to court such podcasts and such. I'd stay away from this one... for now.

I've yet to watch this yet. I am not sure if it's really all that good, It looks like a big let down as far as being for HDTGM goes. Plus it's not christmas time so no ones in the mood for it.

Sign in to follow this