🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Secondly, I really wanna see this! Went back and listened to old episodes, and heard Tim Heidecker talk about this in The Odd Life of Timothy Green episode, though he called it something else (bad memory; its' cool. Happens to the best of us). His description IMMEDIATELY captured my interest and sent me to Youtube to see what the f**k the movie was about.

I put a link to the whole film in the original post, go ahead and ruin your everything.

[EDIT: GAH sorry, just checked and it's busted. Link to it if you find another copy!]

Look at the number of views this post has got compared to the rest - nearly 4000! It's 4th top viewed of all time!

THE PEOPLE NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHY THIS FILM EXISTS!

• Like 1

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit, and it tasted like peanut butter! And I haven't eaten peanut butter in months!!!

This movie wasn't part of my childhood, probably because I'm too old, however I've always felt there was something missing in my childhood and watching this movie might fix that.

• Like 1

Here is the wikipedia for this movie: http://en.wikipedia....Butter_Solution

Here is a link to the trailer:

In this Canadian gem, an 11-year-old boy gets a case of "The Fright," which causes him to lose all of his hair. Some homeless ghosts teach him how to make The Peanut Butter Solution, which causes his hair to grow so long that he is eventually kidnapped by his art teacher. The kicker: His sister finds out where he was taken by going to an art store, feeling the brushes, and recognizing them as her brother's hair.

We should watch: The Peanut Butter Solution

This film haunted my dreams as a child to the point that in my adult life I couldn't remember where these images came from. In 2003, I googled "peanut butter paintbrush air growth" and found the title, called my local video store SRO (R.I.P.) who had a vast cult film library including children's titles, and the rest was history.

I know exactly where and how the majority of us saw this as kids - it was broadcast on Nickelodeon back when they were licensing the majority of their content from Canada.

It's been a year or two since the film has appeared on youtube in it's entirety, but it's back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ty34xFJQA

Let's hope this gives the crew the motivation to finally do an episode on this absolute classic.

Please do this movie. I think it will make all of them feel physically ill and I want to hear June's reactions so bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha, the wikipedia page calls it a "family horror fantasy film." Family horror is my new favorite genre.

• Like 1

Oh boy. This one has to be done at some point. I haven't seen it (yet) and hadn't heard of it until recently. Looks like a good watch for the crew.

pbjpg.jpg

Is there a list somewhere online of "crappy movies that were on HBO in the 80s that all the Gen XYers vaguely remember"? This would be on there and I can think of a few others.

• Like 2

Is there a list somewhere online of "crappy movies that were on HBO in the 80s that all the Gen XYers vaguely remember"? This would be on there and I can think of a few others.

Let's make one!

"Creepy movies we saw in class or on tv once and haunted us forever until the invention of the internet"

The Witcher in the Woods (one of those weird late 70s/early 80s Disney live action movies, terrifying ghost story about a girl who disappeared during a spooky seánce in an abandoned church)

Child of Glass (Disney live action filmed in New Orleans, a kid is haunted by the friendly ghost of a Creole girl)

The Electric Grandmother (Ray Bradbury story about a matronly automaton and the small child who resents her)

The Adventures of Mark Twain (this scene, specifically)

^^ I remember this playing all the time on HBO and this is the only part anyone remembers.

When the Wind Blows (charming cartoon about an elderly British couple who slowly die from radiation poisoning following a nuclear war)

All Summer In A Day (another Bradbury adaptation, about mean children who lock a girl in a closet on the planet Venus, during the ONE sunshiney day after a seven-year rainstorm)

Night Crossing (Disney movie about escaping from East Germany in a hot air balloon)

I'll nominate anything Shelley Long was in, Troop Beverly Hills, Remember Me, the buddy comedy she did with Bette Midler.

Ooooh and that movie where Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin were playing two sets of twins.

Let's make one!

"Creepy movies we saw in class or on tv once and haunted us forever until the invention of the internet"

The Witcher in the Woods (one of those weird late 70s/early 80s Disney live action movies, terrifying ghost story about a girl who disappeared during a spooky seánce in an abandoned church)

Child of Glass (Disney live action filmed in New Orleans, a kid is haunted by the friendly ghost of a Creole girl)

The Electric Grandmother (Ray Bradbury story about a matronly automaton and the small child who resents her)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USZGm9GR7ak

^^ I remember this playing all the time on HBO and this is the only part anyone remembers.

When the Wind Blows (charming cartoon about an elderly British couple who slowly die from radiation poisoning following a nuclear war)

All Summer In A Day (another Bradbury adaptation, about mean children who lock a girl in a closet on the planet Venus, during the ONE sunshiney day after a seven-year rainstorm)

Night Crossing (Disney movie about escaping from East Germany in a hot air balloon)

Its funny you brought up scary movies shown to us in school, it reminded me that Christy Swanson's parents were substitute teachers in my school district. Her dad subbed for my art class once and instead of teaching a lesson showed us Flowers in the Attic. That kinda freaked me out, I'll have to try to remember the ones that scared me when I was younger though

Let's make one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USZGm9GR7ak

I gotta add Roland Emmerich's Making Contact (aka Joey). I don't know if it made the rounds on HBO but a buddy of mine in 3rd grade had it on VHS. Good lord that ventriloquist dummy was nightmare fuel for a 9 nine year old.

Let's make one!

Such a list also merits inclusion of the creepiest and most HDTGM-worthy film of all time, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

I've never seen this film, but just by watching the trailer, you can immediately tell it belongs on the podcast. Wow, that film looked terrible. What's so funny about a dying kid, making a concoction to grow his hair out? Literally, how did this get made?

Doing this 80s movie would also help to counterbalance all the brand-new stuff they’ve done lately. An average year has maybe one movie made that year in it, and the past six months had about six of them.

On 9/12/2012 at 7:46 AM, Adam D said:

Yes this movie freaked me out as a kid. I blocked it out for decades until recently when I took to the internet in a google search for "80's movie kid hair peanut butter". The fact that this was a kid's movie blows my mind. I put this in the same category as The Gate.

If I remember correctly, he thinks the solution is too runny so adds more peanut butter, which is why it won't stop growing.

Fucking spoiler alert bro.

"No you didn't dream this movie, it actually exists" should be the fucking tagline for this movie. Horrifying movie. Watched it again in college and was like, "holy fucking shit, that kid's pubes REALLY DID grow super long! It wasn't just a fever dream!"

• Like 1