🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

My coworker was describing this movie to me today and I thought he was making it up.  This movie needs to be reviewed by the HDTGM gang, stat!

Ive tried explaining this movie to people before and it's never not ended with them looking at me like a fucking lunatic. 

• Like 2

So Nathan Rabin (who I won’t stop advocating being a guest until it happens) did a recent write-up of it here. He has a feature on his site where for $100 he’ll review any movie you want, and for the first time in the feature’s 18-month history, two people paid for him to do the same movie at the same time, this one. Must have been a popular choice.

The second largest video rental store in San Francisco, Le Video, was going out of business. Every movie was $4. I combed through the cult section looking for gems, and found a dvd rip of this movie sandwiched in an original vhs cover. It. Blew. My. Mind. 

As an adult, this movie is not scary at all and is in my top five favorite wtf movies alongside can't stop the music and freeway 2: confessions of a trick baby. Learning that Canadians have a collective unrealized nightmare about this movie only makes it more enjoyable. The best parts aren't even the plot--which is impossible to relate without an hour of spare time--but the acting choices of the secondary characters. The 12 year old sister whom you could swear is the forty year old sitcom housewife of her father. The best friend who so badly wants the dad to like him but knows that staying true to himself will win the day. The art critic who loves a generic painting of a family playing tennis, but bites his thumb at a bird painting he considers empty. Top it off with Celine Dion's first English language song and the fact that THIS MOVIE IS INEXPLICABLY AVAILABLE TO STREAM FOR FREE (in high quality) ON AMAZON PRIME RIGHT NOW when before it could only be found off a ripped vhs in the cult section of a dying video store, and you have a masterpiece waiting to be sent up by true pros of the industry.

There is something for each of you here. Jason, the aforementioned characters and morbid motifs will get you yelling out loud with your headphones in. Paul, the incomprehensible (but still unravelable) plot will fill your pages with notes. And June, the wildly improper dynamics between adults and children, the moral ambiguity--and of course, the wonderous wardrobe--will have you muttering "oh, we're going to get into IT" almost on par with drop dead fred.

Please, please do this movie asap, while it's available. You will be elated that you did.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SlidePocket said:

Next week's show!

Now I have to rent this.  That is $1.99 i will not get back.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, jimkiler said:

Now I have to rent this.  That is $1.99 i will not get back.

According to JustWatch, it’s also free with ads on Tubi. Also still free on Amazon if you have Prime.

I’m sure you’ve already spent the money, however.

Wow. Never thought posting in this forum would actually work within a couple weeks. Dammmmnnn. I'll admit it, I'm proud. I'm sure others simultaneously tweeted it as we were all guided by the ghosts of The Fright.

When I heard Jason say "hairshirt" my mind immediately went to the Barenaked Ladies' classic song about gender expectations, "What a Good Boy".

These are some of the lyrics"

I wake up scared
I wake up strange
I wake up wondering if anything in my life
Is ever gonna change
I wake up scared
I wake up strange
And everything around me stays the same

It's the hair shirt I wear
And this hair shirt is woven from
It's woven from your brown hair

Is it possible that one of the preeminent Canadian bands was influenced by one of the preeminent Canadian kids films?

Question, because I always have something I want to say or add, but do not know where. Are these the threads where we can point things out so that Paul can see them?

13 hours ago, TheeCupcakeKid said:

Question, because I always have something I want to say or add, but do not know where. Are these the threads where we can point things out so that Paul can see them?

The better page would be the thread on the episode of the main part of the HDTGM forums.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 9:01 PM, CaptainAmazing said:

According to JustWatch, it’s also free with ads on Tubi. Also still free on Amazon if you have Prime.

I’m sure you’ve already spent the money, however.

Thank you, i never did rent it.  I don't have Amazon Prime and youtube is really hard to find where to rent it on my PC as i originally saw it on my TV app.  Now i can watch it and it is not the crappy free version on youtube.

• Like 1