🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

No you didn't dream this movie, it actually exists.

The Peanut Butter solution is a "family comedy" that scared the shit out of anyone who watched it in the 80s. And that's not just because the entire soundtrack consists of songs by an up-and-coming singer called Celine Dion.

Michael loses his hair in a fright at a haunted house, then ghosts tell him to restore his hair with peanut butter. Now the hair won't stop growing. Michael's small asian friend decides to put the peanut butter solution on his balls, family fun ensues. A creepy art teacher then kidnaps Michael to make magic paintbrushes from his hair. Meanwhile, Michael's mother takes off to Australia so his sister takes over the role of mother, dealing with the father's issues and wearing the mother's clothes and shoes. FOR NO REASON. Holy crap I'm going to have nightmares tonight just from writing this.

See the trailer here, but don't believe the happiness:

http://jezebel.com/5...ilm-of-all-time

Watch the full film here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2798924676514781836

Did anyone else have their childhood ruined by this film? It's ok, this is a safe place :)

• Like 4

Yes this movie freaked me out as a kid. I blocked it out for decades until recently when I took to the internet in a google search for "80's movie kid hair peanut butter". The fact that this was a kid's movie blows my mind. I put this in the same category as The Gate.

If I remember correctly, he thinks the solution is too runny so adds more peanut butter, which is why it won't stop growing.

I agree wholeheartedly. This film must be seen to be believed, and I still have nightmares about it, occasionally, at age 35. Only Canada could have produced such a short-sighted monstrosity; this movie would not have survived ten minutes in a Hollywood focus group.

How did this get made? it was funded by the Canadian Government, that's how! This isn't really a "Canadian" film, it's a Quebecois film. Like so many other things in Canada it was made to appease the French. Love it or hate it but this film single handedly prevented civil war. Why is it so crazy? I don't know, everything that comes out of Quebec is sort of like this. Those people just have a different sensibility. Quebec is very different from the rest of North America, a "distinct society" as they like to call it.

• Like 1

I can hardly remember this movie from my childhood other than a real vague creepiness. For the longest time I thought my memories of this movie were just a nightmare that I couldn't shake until someone asked me about a movie from the eighties where they grow kids hair and had something to do with peanut butter.

Do you know the scene in Mulholland Drive where they go behind the dumpster of the Denny's and see the homeless gypsy thing or whatever it is? His sense of dread and inevitability is as close to what I feel about watching this movie as an adult. I can hope things will be different but once my nightmares are again realized I will collapse and be haunted for another twenty plus years by the god damn peanut butter solution.

• Like 1

OH MY GOD YES! For several years I wasn't sure if this movie was a vague memory or my imagination. I was always trying to describe it to people with the little information I could remember and no one ever knew what the hell I was talking about.

• Like 1

Jesus, thank you for confirming my fears! I watched this when I was a kid and it scared the bejesus out of me! I'm just glad I'm not the only one. Let's start a support group!

I am visiting Canada right now and someone brought this movie up as an example of something we wouldn't know about in the U of S. Ha! This was all over cable back in the day and it was crayyyyy crayyyyyy. OMG. Leave your kids at home to watch this? WTF? This movie? Watcher in the Woods? Garbage Pail Kids? No one cared about what kids watched back in the 80s. NO ONE. Also, the girl that started this post seems like a god damn genius and I want "romance" her genius brains out.

• Like 1

The Peanut Butter Solution is definitely the freakiest, weirdest and to quote Jason "next level bananas" kids movie! I used to watch it all the time as a kid and actually loved it, but watching the trailer now as an adult I have no idea why. As a child, I wouldn't use paintbrushes for fear that they were made from kids' hair. Please, please discuss this one!!

• Like 1

This movie is rickdonkulous. I remember it terrifying me when I was a child, and then watched it again under heavy use of recreational substances when I was 18, and it was revealed to be an extremely silly, EXTREMELY QUEBECOIS movie. Watch it again as an adult, trust me - not scary at all (chock full of the most amusing accents). And very much in the vein of most quebec-funded canadian movies. And yes, young celine dion!

This movie MUST BE DONE. It sits in my mind as a part of my childhood. And it is nuts.

Magic paintbrushes made from human hair in which you can travel into the paintings. And a kid who decides he wants to grow pubic hair.

Also, the girl that started this post seems like a god damn genius and I want "romance" her genius brains out.

True story.

This movie scared me so much I avoided the area of the movie rental store it was in for fear of seeing the box. It is the worst kids movie ever! #deadMom #homelessGhosts #baldKid #kidnapping #celionDion

• Like 1

I wish we could vote for this, but for some reason when I try to submit for consideration it says that it can't find the movie title. It is listed on IMDB, so not sure why it doesn't work.

I wish we could vote for this, but for some reason when I try to submit for consideration it says that it can't find the movie title. It is listed on IMDB, so not sure why it doesn't work.

FYI searches for Rotten Tomatoes ratings. "The Peanut Butter Solution" is on there, but there's no critic's ratings or, it seems, even audience ratings.

Then I think we need to find away to get more attention on this one. Also, can we get a Canadian guest for this one?

This movie definitely needs to be the focus of an episode! I agree with many other posts that mentioned that they thought this was movie was a dream until it was brought up again. I think that was the only way my young mind was able to cope with all of the messed up things that happened in this movie.

Watcher in the Woods?

AAAAAAAGH

brb, gotta take a xanax

I recall The Peanut Butter Solution being a book first? I definitely remember reading it as an 8 year old, but I can't find it on Amazon or anything. Never seen the movie. Apparently the director, Mark Rubbo, spent decades at the Film Board of Canada and made a bunch of prize-winning documentaries (or so says IMDB).

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I think it is time that we have a little talk. To be honest, I created a profile today specifically because I feel that this topic needs to be discussed. I have been living with this nightmare for many years now. A nightmare so bad that I had forgotten that it had even happened to me until a few years ago when a friend had revealed it to me, thus opening the closet door in my mind that I had locked so long ago. Of course what I am referring to is a little film titled...

THE PEANUT BUTTER SOLUTION.

If you haven't seen this movie, count your lucky stars. This film is so bad as much as it's a tramatizing descent into absolute madness veiled in the guise of a "Children's Film". The disturbing atmosphere blanketing the "film" from beginning to end leaves me naseous and uncomfortable. It doesn't help that there is a man who kidnaps/possibly molests the main character. A child has extra long pubes (You read right), and Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica plays the father. Now you're probably saying to yourself, "BrandonG, it can't be nearly as bad as you are making it out to be!" Well I implore you to put your assumptions in your pocket for a moment and watch the trailer. I'll wait.

Pretty fucked up right? Oh you don't know the half of it! This is only the beginning. We are talking about a movie that has a small but VERY fucked up support page. Witness the damage for yourself.

https://www.facebook...112444402100122

The movie is on youtube in its entirety. I challenge you, no... I FUCKING DARE YOU to watch this. Paul, June, Jason... consider the gauntlet thrown.

P.S. Celine Deon did a song for the soundtrack.

• Like 1

This MUST have been suggested before. I'm sure of it. But yes, this needs to be done. Maybe get a Canadian comedian on this one. Sean Cullen, maybe.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I was so afraid of this movie as a child, i stopped going into the kids section of my local movie rent store, for fear that I would merely glance at the box.

I have people over to my place every other Friday, generally to watch HDTGM movie selections... Recently, nobody was in to mood for 'Toys' so I suggested we watch this little gem, 'The Peanut Butter Solution'.

When we finished there was just this sense of uncomfortable dread in the room. I feel slightly vindicated that this movie that scared the shit out of me as a kid creeped the fuck out of grown adults...

From the the creepy, almost-marital, relationship between the dad and his daughter, to the ever-growing pubes coming out of the elementary-aged kid's pant legs... this movie is THE WORST!... ... ... and you can stream the whole thing on you tube. #bonus

• Like 2

this is one of these movies that I thought may have been a fever dream until the advent of the internet and Google confirmed that YES this did happen.

terrible scary confusing movie!

Ugh. First off, I hate the Search Function. I came *this* close to starting up another thread, because typing in both, "The Peanut Butter Solution" and "Peanut Butter" didn't find this thread. C'MON!

Secondly, I really wanna see this! Went back and listened to old episodes, and heard Tim Heidecker talk about this in The Odd Life of Timothy Green episode, though he called it something else (bad memory; its' cool. Happens to the best of us). His description IMMEDIATELY captured my interest and sent me to Youtube to see what the f**k the movie was about.

He said, "What was that movie... 'The Peanut Butter Incident'? Remember that movie? It was a movie where these kids put peanut butter on their body and it grew hair... (gets cut off by jokes)... and I was expecting it (Timothy Green) to be a little more about this morphing (into something else)". Very intriguing! So I went to youtube and watched this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Cm4Cy3rxs

What the hell is this!?! I need to see them tackle this nonsense! This looks like such a knock off of GOOD family-friendly movies from the 80's... like another "Mac N' Me -- to -- E.T."-type situation, y'know?