🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
shadowedge

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

May I suggest Aliens vs Predator Requiem for a future bad movie? The first three Alien films and the first couple Predator films are outstanding, but then it all went downhill, and you cant do much worse than AVP:R.

No one ecapes from this movie looking good. The humans look bad, the Predators looks bad, and the Aliens end up looking the worst of all since they pose no threat in this movie.

Also instead of this maybe conisider doing the first AVP film. It is not as bad as AVPR, but it still leaves a bad taste in one's mouth when you compare it to the previous filmss.

AVPR: In space no one can give you your money back.

• Like 1

The first AVP created that whole "Predators and Aliens have been coming here for CENTURIES" mythology that was just bonkers. It's like, hey, we just want to see these things kicking each other's asses, but they decide that there needs to be some big backstory involving the Predators being responsible for creating and then destroying all of these ancient civilizations. Fortunately, "Requiem" didn't give a shit about any of this, but even with the higher body count and all the gore, it was too little too late. Like the guy above me said, no one came out of this looking good, and you're not given much of a reason to give a shit about anyone or anything.

All I think of with this movie is poor budget cutting.

Producers: "Hey, we need to make some budgetary cuts."

Strauss Brothers: "Okay. What don't we need? I know, lights. Who wants to see what's going on. It'll be scarier that way."

These movies are abominations. That said, I give an edge to the first one because they at least attempt to tell a story with a likable protagonist, whereas the second one just lines up a bunch of unremarkable CW rejects so that it can immediately kill them.

I ended up liking this one more than the first because it was a strong R rather than a very watered down PG-13 that the first one was. Plus, this one was more in line with the comics/video games where it was Aliens and Predators fighting in populated areas while the humans struggle to survive both. What's especially great about this was that this movie was released on Christmas Day, who in their coked out mind thought this was a perfect release for Christmas?

These movies all run together for me. Is this the one with serial killer Topher Grace?

Topher Grace was in Predators with Adrien Brody. While by no means a masterpiece, Predators was infinitely better than AVP, AVP:R and DGVP (Danny Glover vs Predator).

Predators 2 with Danny Glover is fucking NEXT LEVEL BONKERS. I have no other way of explaining it.

• Like 2

My favorite thing about DGVP is that it's very easy to imagine Bill Paxton's character as an older Chet from Weird Science.

Holy shit. Mind = blown.

Predators 2 with Danny Glover is fucking NEXT LEVEL BONKERS. I have no other way of explaining it.

RRRRIIIIIIIIIIGGGGSSSSS!!!!

Topher Grace was in Predators with Adrien Brody. While by no means a masterpiece, Predators was infinitely better than AVP, AVP:R and DGVP (Danny Glover vs Predator).

I wish the official title was DGvP.

• Like 1

I ended up liking this one more than the first because it was a strong R rather than a very watered down PG-13 that the first one was. Plus, this one was more in line with the comics/video games where it was Aliens and Predators fighting in populated areas while the humans struggle to survive both. What's especially great about this was that this movie was released on Christmas Day, who in their coked out mind thought this was a perfect release for Christmas?

Funny you should mention that, because I've been at a theater for years, and the most successful films on Christmas Day have traditionally been the most violent, inappropriate movies out there. In fact, it's often the ONLY good day that something like "AVP: Requiem" or "Wolf Creek" might have. This year it was "Django", but I think that was just more of a coincidence than anything, as it was going to be a hit anyway. Actually, "Les Mis" may have edged it out slightly, but "Django" still did awesome Christmas Day business for a controversial western (southern?) shoot-'em-up.

Yeah there are times that a movie can succeed at that time of year. I feel that AVP: Requiem was released at Christmas ironically, hell the first trailer had a Christmas song as the background. I think a movie like this would have done better in the transition between Summer movie season and the holiday/award contender season. If they released this in late August/September, I think it could have done pretty well. Christmas is a time it seems for movies that are either getting nominated for Oscars or are movies that studios have no plans on promoting well and are just releasing them to keep up their end of the contract. Look at Punisher War Zone, Lexi Alexander said on the show she was sold on the fact that the studio said they would promote Punisher more since it was coming out around Christmas, but then really undersold what the movie was and it didn't do well at the box office.

The logical direction for both iconic franchises couldn't be any clearer: A poorly lit Colorado suburb where the greatest threat to both species is - a high school pizza deliver boy.

• Like 2

I remember this movie being so dark I thought my tv was glitching.

Also I remember this movie feeling like an episode of Dawsons Creek or some other UPN WB drama.

• Like 1

The "original" AVP (which was based off of a Dark Horse comic by the same name) had a tagline like, "Whoever wins, we lose." Well, not exactly, as the Predator ends up teaming-up with the last human to defeat the Alien queen, even going so far as to make a shield out of a dead Alien's head for her (no, seriously).

But, as bad as AVP is, however, AVP:R is absolutely insufferable. A no-name cast playing forgettable characters you could give a shit less about. Add to this, the film looks cheap (or, "Canadian") and fucks the original Aliens timeline up for anyone paying attention (kind of like what Enterprise did with that one episode featuring the Borg).

(((BUMP)))

The "original" AVP (which was based off of a Dark Horse comic by the same name) had a tagline like, "Whoever wins, we lose." Well, not exactly, as the Predator ends up teaming-up with the last human to defeat the Alien queen, even going so far as to make a shield out of a dead Alien's head for her (no, seriously).

But, as bad as AVP is, however, AVP:R is absolutely insufferable. A no-name cast playing forgettable characters you could give a shit less about. Add to this, the film looks cheap (or, "Canadian") and fucks the original Aliens timeline up for anyone paying attention (kind of like what Enterprise did with that one episode featuring the Borg).

(((BUMP)))

As much as I like the Alien and Predator flicks, I could never get into any of the comics really, because when the two main draws are monsters that can't talk, you have to rely on the human characters to move the stories along, and it's usually just the same old uninteresting shit.

As much as I like the Alien and Predator flicks, I could never get into any of the comics really, because when the two main draws are monsters that can't talk, you have to rely on the human characters to move the stories along, and it's usually just the same old uninteresting shit.

I've really really enjoyed all the fire and stone series because they leaned into the idea that human characters move the story along, by having the same cast of characters perpetuate all four series of Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, and Predator. So they weren't just randoms usurping the Predator characters. By the time AVP came out, the human characters were already the connecting thread. They actually make a great blueprint for how an AVP shared cinematic universe should or could be done.

I've really really enjoyed all the fire and stone series because they leaned into the idea that human characters move the story along, by having the same cast of characters perpetuate all four series of Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, and Predator. So they weren't just randoms usurping the Predator characters. By the time AVP came out, the human characters were already the connecting thread. They actually make a great blueprint for how an AVP shared cinematic universe should or could be done.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those, and while the story was okay, I picked up the individual issues when they came out, and it ended up being the most poorly executed crossover I've seen in a long time.

If you read the trades, everything is in order, but when it came out in comic form, it was issue #1 of each series, #2 of each series, and so on, which made me think "Okay, so it's a weekly series running through four titles", like the Spider-Man or Superman books when there were four monthly books, but that was not the case. Instead, part 1 came out, part 5, part 9, part 13, and then part 2, part 6, part 10, part 14, and so on. Aside from the "Aliens" series, which was more of a prequel to the rest, you COULD NOT read the "Prometheus", "Predator", and "AvP" books in the order they came out. It didn't pull apart and make sense in a weird way like if Alan Moore had engineered it or something, it was just flat out unreadable since each series was a different act of the same story.

Oh no! Haha that sounds terrible, yeah. I just got to them in retrospect. And even now the reading order was a bit puzzling. I couldn't find a straight answer online so I had to piece it together from the prologue pages, of what was happening when. But then it all came together.

Oh no! Haha that sounds terrible, yeah. I just got to them in retrospect. And even now the reading order was a bit puzzling. I couldn't find a straight answer online so I had to piece it together from the prologue pages, of what was happening when. But then it all came together.

I think at the beginning of at least the first issue of every series, it said something like "takes place after..." or "takes place in between..." the other books, so even they knew that it should have just been a series of mini series and not four mini series running all at once that were really just four acts of the SAME story that I think may have even ended in a separate special. That really turned me off of even wanting to bother with the next event.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those, and while the story was okay, I picked up the individual issues when they came out, and it ended up being the most poorly executed crossover I've seen in a long time.

If you read the trades, everything is in order, but when it came out in comic form, it was issue #1 of each series, #2 of each series, and so on, which made me think "Okay, so it's a weekly series running through four titles", like the Spider-Man or Superman books when there were four monthly books, but that was not the case. Instead, part 1 came out, part 5, part 9, part 13, and then part 2, part 6, part 10, part 14, and so on. Aside from the "Aliens" series, which was more of a prequel to the rest, you COULD NOT read the "Prometheus", "Predator", and "AvP" books in the order they came out. It didn't pull apart and make sense in a weird way like if Alan Moore had engineered it or something, it was just flat out unreadable since each series was a different act of the same story.

Yeah I got the omnibus for the Fire and Stone series and the sub-series were put in proper reading order which really helped. Though it did give me flashbacks of the 90s when there was a crossover event where you had to get a special chart from the publisher to show you which issues to read in which order.

• Like 1