🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
shadowedge

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

Yeah I got the omnibus for the Fire and Stone series and the sub-series were put in proper reading order which really helped. Though it did give me flashbacks of the 90s when there was a crossover event where you had to get a special chart from the publisher to show you which issues to read in which order.

I have the Marvel Unlimited digital service, which is like Netflix for Marvel comics (TOTALLY worth it and awesome on a tablet), and I've been re-visiting a lot of early 90s stuff. Some of it was stuff I was into that's totally unreadable now because of the part where you have to read 17 different issues spread acrossed 5 different series and creative teams, and some of it I was NEVER into, because they'd have shit like the first issue of a series being part 7 of one crossover, and then the second issue being part 5 of ANOTHER one. It's interesting to look at though.

I have the Marvel Unlimited digital service, which is like Netflix for Marvel comics (TOTALLY worth it and awesome on a tablet), and I've been re-visiting a lot of early 90s stuff. Some of it was stuff I was into that's totally unreadable now because of the part where you have to read 17 different issues spread acrossed 5 different series and creative teams, and some of it I was NEVER into, because they'd have shit like the first issue of a series being part 7 of one crossover, and then the second issue being part 5 of ANOTHER one. It's interesting to look at though.

Yeah if I had a tablet I might consider getting the app, but I was never a huge fan of the artwork of that era as it was all so similar to one another, which especially considering how everything was supposed to be X-Treme back then, it didn't help. The artwork might be the biggest selling point when considering getting a comic because if I don't like the style, I will most likely hate the story, even if it's done by one of my favorite writers, case in point Symmetry by Matt Hawkins seems like a decent concept of a Utopian future hiding a dark secret, but the art is a type of cell-shading that comes off looking like early 90s CGI, leading me to skim through half the paperback. It's unfortunate because Hawkins' other works (Think Tank, The Tithe, and Postal) are all amazing pieces of work that need to be read by any comic reader.

Ryan, you should check out the early years of Excalibur, the first 50 issues or so are crazy good. The art and writing were mostly British, so that's probably why they weren't subject to the same trends popular in American comics at the time. It's like the fun of classic X-titles without the angst.

I might have to check out that Marvel digital thing, that sounds pretty sweet if all the old stuff is there.

Ryan, you should check out the early years of Excalibur, the first 50 issues or so are crazy good. The art and writing were mostly British, so that's probably why they weren't subject to the same trends popular in American comics at the time. It's like the fun of classic X-titles without the angst.

I might have to check out that Marvel digital thing, that sounds pretty sweet if all the old stuff is there.

I might have to give that a shot since the art looks pretty good and they are getting ready to release omnibuses for it next year. For me the best art in comics right now is hands down at Image comics, everything from Nailbiter, The Wicked + Divine, Birthright, Revival, Thief of Thieves, and more are all so good, also read those series if you haven't because they are goddamn amazing along with Southern Bastards, which while the art isn't usually what I'd go for the story is incredible and makes up for it. Also if you haven't read The Fix by the creative team of The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, do so because it's all of the humor of that series but way more adult and screwed up since it's from Image, and if you haven't read Superior Foes yet, I don't want to know you because that series was one of the best out of Marvel's Marvel Now lineup.

Wow. This the low point for both franchises. Was there even a cinematographer? The framing and lighting made everything incomprehensible. Not a single memorable character. An alien baby factory? A Predator/Alien hybrid? Zouks would lose his mind.

This one does lean into its R rating. It also could not be more different from Prometheus. It's mind boggling that these films occupy the same cinematic universe.

People probably thought that you could not go any lower after AvP: Requiem but The Predator is pretty low as you can go.

At least it did not have any darkness issues but was more broken in the story department.

Things like Predator dogs, DNA upgrading, Predator Civil war and spine extracting were quite ludicrous. 

The less said about the Predator Killer, the better. It could have actually been worse as they planned on using Hicks and Newt from Alien lore at one point.

Let's just hope the movie did not kill the franchise off for good and things can improve under Disney.

There are good stories in the Predator comics that would be great for adapting.