🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
atrac

Grease 2 (1982)

I actually love this film, but I acknowledge that "Grease 2" is perfect fodder for this show.

A young Michelle Pfeiffer singing! Maxwell Caulfield (who might be the prettiest face to ever grace the silver screen) not singing!! Adrian Zmed as a teenager!!

Although I liked someone else's "Congo" suggestion in another thread, "Grease 2" would be my second choice.

this movie is a traumatic stain on my childhood...

When I was 8, like many children, Grease was my favorite thing in the entire universe. I didn't understand any of the adult content, I just loved it. I remember seeing Grease 2 on the shelf at the video store and absolutely freaking out. My mom tried to tell me that it wasn't very good, but I insisted.

And even though I've only seen it once, "Cool Rider" and "Do It For Our Country" are forever and ever burned in my brain.

Grease 2 is amazing because as opposed to the original Grease film, where the songs are used to further plot points or to explain character's emotional states, in Grease 2 the songs are shoehorned in to try and help pad out the plot, or lack thereof.

I actually love this film, but I acknowledge that "Grease 2" is perfect fodder for this show.

Ditto! This would be a very fun one. I love this stupid movie and all its stupid songs. Oh my god, 'Cool Rider.' Favorite. (My girlfriend had a theory that he misheard Michelle Pfeiffer during that number and thought she wanted a 'Cool Writer,' which is why he began writing essays for other students immediately afterwards.) And that reproduction song that Tab Hunter sings is amazing! The songs in this feel like they were written by a middle school music teacher (bowling song, esp.). It's great.

• Like 1

the best scene is when Michelle Pfeiffer breaks away and does a solo during the pagent performance and Maxwell Caulfield descends down in a silver leather jumpsuit

This episode needs to happen. I feel like the podcast is suffering from a distict lack of bikers that go bowling on Friday nights and sing awesome songs about it.

They should do this with cast member Pamela Adlon as the special guest and skewer her movie debut.

Where does the pollen go?

I think I'm worn out on musicals/music-related HDTGM for a little while

It's an old comment, but in the time since it's been posted, I think it's been reinforced that ill-advised musicals/musical numbers (like the whole video bit in "Toys") are never NOT great to talk about. It's so great, because it takes so much work, it's so involved, and it's so ridiculous, yet there were people looking out for the film and studios best interests, people controlling the money, that were like "Yes. This is what's going to make us all rich". It's truly asking "How did this get made?" at the highest level.

I think they should start with the first film even though the 2nd one was worse the first one was still a giant pile of dog shit. I liked it as a kid but it does not hold up well at all other than the songs.

• Like 1

It's buried in the forum, originally recommended years ago, but it really should be reconsidered. Here are a few points:

- rip off of a "classic" musical

- Very early Michelle Pfeiffer, opposite Adrien Zmed and Max Cauffield.

- The Double Mint Twins (a.k.a. Gemma from Sons of Anarchy's sisters)

- Liza MInelli's sister

- Production so seemingly rushed, not even the professional dancers are in sync.

- "We're Gonna Bo-o-owl Tonight!"

Here is the real leader of the T-bird's, Terrorized a small community with music and dance in the 1950's

fuk9z.jpg

• Like 1

The reproduction song became a running gag between me and my friends when we were in grade 9 and we stumbled upon this glorious glorious sequel :D

This is apparently coming to Netflix on March 1st. I might have to pass on watching this one though, I have a hard time enjoying musicals and can't even watch the first one.

This is apparently coming to Netflix on March 1st. I might have to pass on watching this one though, I have a hard time enjoying musicals and can't even watch the first one.

So, do you mean to tell me you've never watched

?

What about "

" from the rock band the who?

I've never seen Hair, but I will say that I fucking LOVE the 40 Year Old Virgin rendition of that song for some reason. I also haven't seen Tommy, but that would probably be one of the musicals that I wouldn't mind seeing. I think my big problem with musicals is that I usually just don't like the music (I have very weird taste in music, but it doesn't include showtunes) and they're such a big part of the movies that they're in. One of the few exceptions is of course Cannibal: The Musical, but it's just so fun to say "It's a shpadoinkle day" and is as much of a musical parody as an actual musical.

I have to admit, Grease 2 is something of a guilty pleasure of mine. Even guiltier than the original Grease. I think I might even like it more than Grease. The only other movie that I have a similar reaction to is "Bring it On", you know, that cheerleading movie with Kirsten Dunst? Whenever I catch in on tv, I literally am unable to change the channel.

Now, speaking of actual good cinema; Hair is definitely one of the best musical films ever made. I saw it again a few weeks ago and was surprised at how many iconic songs it contains ("Good Morning Starshine", the titular "Hair", "Let the Sunshine In", and so on). It's a very special thing, though I've always had a thing for musical films.

Little Shop of Horrors is perhaps my favorite film of all time and I will never say no to watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Then again, I'm also an avid defender of the Legally Blonde musical. These are things for which I feel no guilt. My love for musicals definitely knows some bounds - I draw the line at Phantom of the Opera, which is an abysmal show even on the stage and an even worse film.