🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

Starring: Matthew McConaughey (who wouldn't need a chainsaw if looks could kill), Renee Zellweger

The only problem with this one is that it is pretty hard to find, but this with another remake coming soon this sounds like a golden choice for a future HDTGM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110978/

• Like 1

I dunno. Movies like Chucky or Killer Klowns are pretty much parodies in and of themselves.

I like the idea of Paul and the gang doing a movie that tried and failed to be a scary movie in the biggest, most clueless, over-the-top, most bullshit Hollywood way possible.

And the first thing that comes to mind is 1999's The Haunting.

That's right - a mega-budgeted remake of a classic b&w horror flick (based in a classic book) that Dreamworks threw $80 million dollars at and actually hired Jan de fucking Bont (DIRECTOR OF SPEED 2) and an all-star cast (Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta Jones, Owen Wilson, Lili Taylor) who spend all their time getting decapitated by fireplaces and running away from 100-foot-smoke monsters and animated baby cherubs instead of.. you know... LEAVING THE HOUSE.

• Like 1

Casper!

2 reason:

1) hit and a miss

2) most of the movies people are suggesting didn't actually take place on Halloween.

• Like 1

Hocus Pocus, mentioned above, is a good one, actually. It's set at Halloween, too.

I also second many mentioned especially Maximum Overdrive, it is all kinds of awful. And what about Halloween, 4, Halloween 5 or Halloween Resurrection. That one has Busta Ryhmes going up against Michael Myers.......and getting the upper hand......... WTF?

Monster Squad

cause'

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Halloween: Resurrection

cause'

Busta Rhymes-"Michael Meyers isn't a soundbite, he's a killa shark in baggy ass overalls!"

• Like 1

How about doing Hellraiser: Bloodlines and having one its stars, Adam Scott, as your guest!

That one is also on Netflix and was directed by the fine Alan Smithee

• Like 2

You mentioned Tom Atkins in the Drive Angry podcast. I'd love to see you doa mid-80s one he was in.

"Night of the Creeps" jumps to my mind.

Thanks!

• Like 1

While I kind of liked Halloween 3 Season of the Witch, it really fits a How Did this Get Made model, as it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the series. It feels like someone showed a script, and someone else said "Let's throw the Halloween label on it, that should boost interest." Much like how Troll 2 actually has no trolls, and nothing to do with Troll (the original). It was, if you watch the documentary "Best Worst Movie" a cheap marketing move to steal some buzz from the Troll series.

• Like 1

While all the above suggestions are good - nothing can compare to the cinematic "masterpiece" that is "ThanksKilling" - to quote IMDB - "A homicidal turkey axes off college kids during Thanksgiving break." - this movie is not only ourragiously strange in its concept, script and acting but has the best tagline ever "gobble gobble mother f**ker"

And if you dont pick this - please, fellow listeners, check this movie out - available on Netflix instant as well as many other platforms...gobble gobble!

I agree with watching ThanksKilling.

I have a three that are particularly awesomely terrrible and/or baffling.

Pieces- I think this 80's horror film is Italian but everyone is dubbed over with English voices. It's just hilarious, insane and so very bad in the best way.

Fucking love Pieces, needs to be on the podcast one day.

Also, what about Night of the Demons(1988)? Takes place on Halloween, fun 80's movie, and it just makes for a great cheesefest!

Oh snap, didn't eddie murphy do a haunted mansion movie?

He did, it also had Jennifer Tilly as a gypsy whose head is in a crystal ball. haha.

PJJ (Paul-June-Jason),

If you want to visit a movie that is COMPLETELY BONKERS but in a good way (think Crank 2, and yes, it is up to the level of Crank 2) and has a Halloweeny theme, I recommend the 1977 Japanese haunted house "horror" film HOUSE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/

Just some of the awesomeness of House: A floating head biting someone's ass. A piano eating a girl. An old Auntie jumping up to the rafters and doing a little jig. Some CRAZY matte backgrounds. A cat painting spewing acid blood. Characters who are named after their hobbies (Kung Fu does martial arts, Melody plays music; THESE ARE THEIR NAMES). Some sweet 60s-inspired 70s Japanese pop, in English.

Just... watch the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

And yes, it's on the Criterion Collection. It's a fantastic movie. And it's utterly insane. Also, Hulu Plus members can watch it streaming!

Seriously, the people saying Halloween III: Season of the Witch are exactly right that this film fits in HDTGM perfectly. Here's why.

1) Like others have said, it's completely removed from the rest of the series. That's something crazy to latch onto right from the start.

2) It has the amazingly campy Tom Atkins and Dan O'Herlihy as an eerie Celtic man.

3) It just had a blu-ray rerelease, and it's part of a storied, famous franchise. So people are aware of it even if they haven't seen it. They'll be intrigued for sure.

4) Take a look at this premise: seemingly inhuman people have killed a man and have links to a halloween mask company. Upon further investigation, a huge conspiracy is revealed. Needless to say, the conspiracy is ludicrous and amazing.

5) Here are some things that are involved: magic lasers, overly agressive eye-poking, pranksters who don't really ever pull pranks, and an animatronic grandma.

There are more plot jumps and devices that I don't really want to get into because they're better left unspoiled, but trust that they're exactly the brand of insanity I always look for in HDTGM.

And I think this film works better than ones like Hausu or Thankskilling. (that second one isn't even a Halloween film but still) Hausu and Thankskilling and other titles that have been mentioned are intentionally psycho. The craziness in Halloween III isn't as self-aware, making it all the more fun.

This movie is one of my favorites because it's so out of its mind, which is a feeling I hear you guys having a lot with your more eccentric movie selections. I guarantee you'll feel that way about Halloween III, and if you don't I pledge to donate a kidney to any of you should you ever need one

• Like 1

I dunno. Movies like Chucky or Killer Klowns are pretty much parodies in and of themselves.

I like the idea of Paul and the gang doing a movie that tried and failed to be a scary movie in the biggest, most clueless, over-the-top, most bullshit Hollywood way possible.

I agree 100%. MST3K takes care of the low budget bad movies, HDTGM has tended to be about bigger budget failures.

Alone In the Dark

An Uwe Boll film starring Christian Slater and Tara Reid. I'd describe the plot, but it's basically unintelligible. Suffice to say it's very loosely based on a video game.

Here's the trailer:

Here's a hilarious story about the original script writers and their experience with Uwe Boll: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/behind-scenes-uwe.php

You mentioned Tom Atkins in the Drive Angry podcast. I'd love to see you doa mid-80s one he was in.

"Night of the Creeps" jumps to my mind.

Thanks!

But, Night of the Creeps is awesome! Atkins is the lead in Halloween III, also which loads of people have recommended :)

Oh, I have one- The Dark Half, from 1993, directed by George A. Romero from the novel by Stephen King. It has Michael Rooker!

There are a plethora of incredibly bad slasher remakes from the 2000s

Sorority Row? When a Stranger calls? Prom Night?

Did Christine get covered yet?

Drag me to Hell was pretty good in a Roadhouse kinda way.

And really any of the sequels to Halloween or Friday The 13th.

I'm going agree with everyone saying Halloween 3 and Night of the Demons. Both are VERY good choices. Overall, I would say Night of the Demons though because it doesn't have the Silver Shamrock song. I can never get that damn thing out of my head once I hear it.