🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
TheGr8Sarcasmo

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985)

One of my favorite bad action movies. Fred Ward is Remo Williams, trained in mystical fighting styles which allow him to walk on water. So much of this film is amazing.

• Like 6

Bad as in awesome. We watched this film so many times when we were young. And it's got Captain Janeway in it.

"In and out, like a duck mating."

• Like 1

I defy anyone to explain this movie to me. I watch this a few times since I was a kids, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on. It's bonkers crazy. Walking on water, Dogging bullets. You guys have to see this one.

A secret government organization fakes a cop's death and trains him as an assassin to eliminate target's that justice can't reach. Done.

• Like 1

This movie is terrible and racist and makes sense only if you know you are watching a terrible 80s action movie... but at the same time, it's eternally rewatchable. I have such illogical affection for this movie. I know it's awful, but just thinking about it makes me smile.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting tidbit about this film. Joel Grey was even nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for playing the Asian mentor to Remo Williams.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting tidbit about this film. Joel Grey was even nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for playing the Asian mentor to Remo Williams.

See even the Golden Globes knew of the awesomeness of Chuin.. Now quiet he's watching his soap operas..

This movie looks amazing. I will check back when I've seen it. but based on the trailer I am sold..

I'd say this is more on the level of like Hercules goes bananas or Peter Sellers the party. Yeah sort of a little racist but it's also entertainingly funny. So bad it's good. Like Johnny five.it would be a good how did this get made episode. Five amazon stars..

I don't know if this movie was intentionally bad or just ended up being, This movies a lot of fun ether way so go watch it and enjoy.

Can I just bump this, because you can watch the whole thing on youtube, and it qualifies on every level. The montage training scene alone is worth watching.

Two points on why you should review this movie:

1. "Asian" trainer (Joel Grey) is 100% not Asian, but is in heavy makeup and insists on a WAY over the top indeterminate accent (Mongolian? Tibetan?).
  2. The title is not simply "Remo Williams" the FULL title is "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" (clearly intended as the beginning of a series of Remo films)

A friend and I have a running joke about this movie. The title basically assures you there will be a sequel, my friend and I occasionally say something like, "Wonder when that Remo Williams sequel will be hitting theaters?"

• Like 1

Well, there was the series ... Briefly. Seriously, fun movie with unfortunate, product of its time, casting.

Bump. I'm disappointed nobody has mentioned that this got an OSCAR NOMINATION for best makeup... by process of elimination, that would almost have to be entirely for making Joel Gray look "Korean"

Like Jake Speed, this is a solid bad movie.

Fred Ward

Joel Gray

Wilford Brimley (Diabeetus)

and freaking Kate Mulgrew

Pulp Action Hero, dodging bullets, walking on water, a bad guy with a diamond in his tooth (that later is used to save the day), a noted and celebrated actor doing an Asian character...it's all there.

remo_williams_the_adventure_begins.jpg

Bumping this as Fred Ward needs some HDTGM recognition. Remo Williams was based on the popular Destroyer series of novels and was supposed to launch a franchise.

I also just want to hear Jason talk about young Kate Mulgrew for an hour. A highly enjoyable relic from the 80s that would slot nicely into the Crank/Face Off/Con Air category.

This movie is hilariously bad. But, I'm jumping into this thread to say that I once read a random paperback Remo Williams book. According to Wikipedia there are over 100 (!) Remo Williams books written by the original author and various ghostwriters. The one I read had Remo fighting against a shapeshifting robot who basically had the powers to take things apart at a molecular level and create anything given the raw ingredients. If I recall the robot is able to make perfect copies of the plates for US currency. In another scene it disassembles a flamethrower into its constituent molecules to get it through (possibly airport) security. It's cheesy as all hell and the character of Chiun is no less of a racist magic Asian caricature than in the movie, but I really dug the sci-fi elements they added.

This movie is hilariously bad. But, I'm jumping into this thread to say that I once read a random paperback Remo Williams book. According to Wikipedia there are over 100 (!) Remo Williams books written by the original author and various ghostwriters. The one I read had Remo fighting against a shapeshifting robot who basically had the powers to take things apart at a molecular level and create anything given the raw ingredients. If I recall the robot is able to make perfect copies of the plates for US currency. In another scene it disassembles a flamethrower into its constituent molecules to get it through (possibly airport) security. It's cheesy as all hell and the character of Chiun is no less of a racist magic Asian caricature than in the movie, but I really dug the sci-fi elements they added.

So kinda like the second terminator only with more shape-shifting capabilities??

This movie is bonkers on many levels.  Maybe most bonkers, Joel Grey (the white guy playing Korean, Chiun) got a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting actor? What?!

I was just thinking of this movie the other day. It seemed to air all the time in the late 80s on HBO.