🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Now, I am genuinely reluctant to recommend this film because I won't lie, it can be kinda a bore. But every single time I think about it, I am just reminded about the TRILLIONS of unanswered questions and plot holes. Warren Beatty's motivation in this entire movie is invisible, there is never any answer as to why he decided to cheat. The Garry Shandling-Goldie Hawn subplot is mystifying, I still cannot determine the point of Andie MacDowell and Jenna Elfman's characters, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why Diane Keaton finds out about the affair, Charton Heston and his wife are clearly insane, the way that the get the title from the movie is god-awful and I am absolutely INFURIATED that Natassja Kinski got a title card.

If anything, there are 5 reasons to watch this

• Terrible Re-Editing and Direction/The Amount of time it took to make it
  • The Amount it cost to make this movie
  • Rich-People Problems: The Movie
  • The fact that this film could legitimately be Warren Beatty's LAST FILM
  • Oh, and this is an R-Rated RomCom

Overall, tough to sit through, but worth it in retrospect. And here's the trailer (P.S. there are scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie. THE EDITING IS TERRIBLE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPX_1XQtmB4

Has anyone else read Kevin Murphy's "A Year at the Movies?" He wrote a scathing essay on the movie, pointing out how impossible it is to like the main character, scolds Diane Keaton for being involved in such a bad film after being in so many great ones, and saying that if the reader ever finds a copy of the movie at a friend's house, they should throw it in their fireplace.

• Like 1

Has anyone else read Kevin Murphy's "A Year at the Movies?" He wrote a scathing essay on the movie, pointing out how impossible it is to like the main character, scolds Diane Keaton for being involved in such a bad film after being in so many great ones, and saying that if the reader ever finds a copy of the movie at a friend's house, they should throw it in their fireplace.

Jeez, Diane Keaton has barely used good decision-making in the decade since. "Because I Said So", "Mad Money", and "Morning Glory" anyone? "Town & Country" is hardly the only blemish on her record now...

Jeez, Diane Keaton has barely used good decision-making in the decade since. "Because I Said So", "Mad Money", and "Morning Glory" anyone? "Town & Country" is hardly the only blemish on her record now...

This was 2001 when he was talking. And, in fairness, his picks were mostly 70s movies like "Looking for Mr. Goodbar."

But yeah, when your two most recent movies are "Darling Companion" (AKA a movie for old people who think Disney movies are too visceral) and "The Big Wedding" (which could have a HDTGM episode based solely off the poster), it's a long way from "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan."

Diane Keaton has no redeemable qualities in this, despite the fact that I believe you are supposed to feel some sort of sympathy for her (I actually don't know who they think we're supposed to support in this movie) She's just sorta there as nothing substantial. I was more interested in Goldie Hawn and psycho-Andie MacDowell than her.

I also want to point out that, after rewatching the movie on a really boring day, I was really too nice when it came to the reediting. The job they did deserves to be brought to the masses through this show. Also, the Four 5-star Amazon reviews are amazing.

"Regardless of the poor reviews, I predict that Town and Country will prove to be a sleeper classic. A Tour de Force and a Breath of Fresh Air." -Aleta M. Daley

The film's failure prompted Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn to stop acting until they returned within the last year with "Rules Don't Apply" and "Snatched".

Sign in to follow this