🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 72 — Expectations/Tig Update

Expect the unexpected on today’s Professor Blastoff! Kyle joins us via phone call to share a story about his recent gig for Nickelodeon, we catch up with Tig’s recuperation, and hear an important announcement. Tig, Kyle, and David check in with the professor to have a discussion about expectations. We talk about preparing for the worst, the thrill of anticipation, and balancing high & low expectations.

Aww. Dear Tig, I'm glad your cancer went well.

The thought of a doctor drawing a spaceship as a prescription for Tig's cancer is hilarious. I swear these stories could be turned into hilarious sketch comedy skits.

Gah! I was shouting Mary Lou Retton at my computer screen way before David finally said it. #TimesLikeThisiWishiWereInTheHatch

• Like 1

So overjoyed to hear Tig saying that she is cancer-free and that her prognosis is excellent. I will continue to pray for her just because she is such a sweetie.

At one point during the episode I pictured Tig as the Terminator that just kept taking such a beating and kept coming and never stopped. But in a sweet, wonderful way. Sounds corny, but she is an inspiration to us all.

I got a kick out of picturing TIg going to her doctor, telling the doctor that she had cancer and the doctor drawing her a prescription of a rocket ship. I could see Tig taking it to the pharmacy and the druggist handing Tig a bag with a giant rocket ship in it.

Glad to know Kyle is in NYC. I have to get in and see him perform! Everyone in the area should!

Regarding anticipation, I think it is tied into optimism and pessimism. I don’t think I can help but try to envision how various endeavors will go. I don’t like to be unprepared. Surprises are generally not welcome.

When my dad passed away, we could see it coming due to his long, debilitating illness. Shortly thereafter, an uncle died suddenly. I can’t say that the anticipation made the loss easier or harder to take as compared with the sudden shock of losing my uncle.

Thanks to those who have wished me well in my pursuit of the NYC assistant gig with Tig and Kyle. If I don’t get it, maybe my daughter will!

Welp, that’s been comment.

• Like 3

That is great news about the cancer. I really look forward to seeing Tig back on her ride to the top. Good thing she has that prescription rocket ship to get her there.

Glad to hear about the new video game Trolley Town Toilet Flush, sounds like a blast.

Finally, I was in New York for a day a couple of weeks ago. I am disappointed I didn't know about the High Line before I went, I'd have loved to check that out. Congratulations on the apartment, that dishwasher sounds pretty awesome.

Tig's cancer diagnosis really affected me. I have been very worried that the news would get even worse. Picturing a world without Tig Notaro was depressing. And then, this morning, when I saw that the episode included a Tig update, I was nervous. When she said that she is cancer-free I stopped what I was doing and buried my face in a blanket and wept my little heart out. My husband thought something was wrong with me but I explained it was good news! I'm so relieved. Crying because you are happy is always the best! Thank you Tig for being ok!

• Like 2

My boyfriend (lovingly?) makes fun of me for worrying about Tig so much. I am also totally thrilled by the latest Tig Update. Tigdate? Uptig?

• Like 1

Wooohooo! Tig is in tit-top shape! But.... what am I gunna do with all these truck-loads of stolen Tig wigs? I chloroformed 7 truck drivers for these...

• Like 3

Further proof that 'no one is watching'. This crisp fall Denver morning just got a little brighter after hearing this news.

• Like 1

I am amazed at how wonderful the people on this show are. Tig's emotion when it comes to the package from her friend's children, or the fan's Christmas ornament, is really touching. What strikes me the most is how hard the team has worked to come together to do episodes even if one has to be over the phone, or if they have to bank them, or whatever. I can't think of another program, in any media, where things like what happened to Tig (even Kyle's concussion a while back) wouldn't have caused at least some sort of hiatus. Yet here they are offering us new programming week after week because, for whatever reason, they thought it was important to bank the episodes to be there for us. Is that crazy to anyone else? To think that they actually care that much about the program, each other, and the fans? I just find it very refreshing in a world that is so cynical to see that.

By the way, being born in Spring Texas and living there for a good bit of my childhood, I can honestly say I never heard the Mary Lou Retton story, but when asking my family they said that it was common knowledge. Weird.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, I got a bit 'teary-eyed Tig' when I was listening to this episode.

Tig, I'm so happy to hear that you are cancer free! My friend and I always call each other to discuss the hilarity on the earwolf podcasts. Lately, all we've been discussing is how you had to pull through this. You just had to. And when we talked about this episode via text, caps lock was overly used to show our excitement for you.

I can't wait to buy your new CD and to hear you on This American Life.

David, Kyle and Aaron - keep pooping on beaches, keep telling embarrassing stories and keep having no emotions, respectively.

• Like 2

:D< YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

Everybody buy Tig's Largo performance when it posts on Louis CK's site tomorrow and then listen to her This American Life episode this weekend!!!

• Like 1

Just bought Tig's Largo set.

SMILEY FACE!!!

Hey T&K&D aaaanndd A,

Thanks for such great shows lately, and Donald Trump is my new favorite impression of Kyle's. I kinda miss David's Chicago guy, come to mention it. I can't wait for the further adventures of Morbot and Good One. Maybe they could open a detective agency? Here's hoping. Finally, I wanted to include a message for Tig:

Hey, Tig. I just bought/listened to LIVE. I know you're serious about your craft and think LIVE is pretty "raw' , but damn, don't be too hard on yourself-this recording is great and it made my day better...

Love, Jamey

• Like 1

*McKayla Maroney appreciation post*

If there were a "Not Impressed" button next to the "Like This" button, I would click it for this post. (Wait, that probably sounds negative, but you know what I mean!)

Tig talked about her prognosis on Conan a few weeks ago, so it wasn't really news to me, but it was nice to hear the details fleshed out a bit and the related stories.

Sign in to follow this