🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 46 — Barb Wire

This episode was so great.

And I totally agree with June. Being calling "babe" by a random guy is worse than being called "bitch". "Babe" is so dismissive. Having someone say "My favorite song is I Got You Babe" to me, however. Truly the greatest offense of all.

My personal pet peeve is 'hun'. People think they're being cute but it's kind of condescending.

Loving the catchphrases in this one:

"Stone Cold Dum-Dum"

I'm really glad that Jason has given me Dum-Dum and Dummy. I say it all the time, and it's hilarious and silly and it won't get you in trouble like calling someone a retard will.

As a long time max funster, I'm glad Jesse was able to shoehorn in his love for Babe Pig in the City. When he mentioned it the first time, no one seemed to understand what he was saying, but he loves it so much he brought it up again later in the episode. More Powerful Than Ever.

• Like 2

I had forgotten how hilariously bad this movie is. Definitely going to be rewatching. Also, can you PLEASE do a HDTGM for Babe Pig in the City?

I was one of about the nine people that saw this in the theater, and I don't really remember anything besides the almost 100% lack of nudity. I know the internet was a relatively new thing, and that it took something like 28 minutes to download a few Pam Anderson pics (if I was lucky enough to not have any phone calls during that time), but it's still no surprise that NO ONE (except apparently me and about eight other people) was willing to pay to see her ACT when you could see the goods for free at home, all with the benefit of not having to hear her say a word, much less listen as she would awkwardly strung several of them together in a sentence. I think at that point, we'd almost all moved on to Jenny McCarthy anyway...

I know a podcast episode is good when I start weirding people out on the bus - when June said that Barb Wire is a feminist role model I blurted out "How dare you!"

• Like 1

"You know I only like being fat, baby!"

I want this on the next HDTGM shirt.

had to post something to this: June, I get ya. I'd MUCH rather be called a bitch instead of babe. I fucking HATE it when someone calls me babe.

I'm a little confused. Did the gang watch a pg-13 cut?

I did a quick google image search and Pam is full on tits out (nipple and all) in many of the scenes that they commented on for lacking nudity.

Yeah haha I just watched this on netflix and the very first scene shows her full tits, not to mention when she is doing her stupid voice-over in the next scene you can see the tops of her nips!

And of course to the soundtrack, maybe it didn't exist at the time but how dare they not use the Korn version of Word Up which is actually decent if you like rock.

Barb Wire was part of a really cool semi successful / ambitious comic-book universe for Dark Horse ..

Which is why the poster mentioned the Mask- as they were both part of that label..

i just watched this one. my thoughts:

i'm surprised the character of curly didn't come up in the discussion! i loved curly!!! i wiki'd that actor because he looked familiar, holy character-actor extraordinare! i feel like he and bob gunton are up for the same roles a lot (and i think they may have evern been in the same movie together....)

seriously though --- this movie came out in 1996 in the height of the '90s action movie craze (god, what a craze!). to bring up a point that our podcasters made... what makes this an "R" rated movie?!? the version i saw (which claimed to be a blu-ray rip, don't worry where i got it from) had a rare PG-13 level flash of nip and two spurts of blood. this was an era when some of my favorite ultraviolent movies were coming out. the same era that brought us demolition man and true lies which are two movies who earned their "R" rating... honestly when i think about it, i think this is an opposite move of what they do today. back in the '90s they would shoot for an R rating. if the MPAA gives it a PG-13, you add bits here and there to get that R to attract the action crowds of the day.

in 201x they shoot for that watered down PG-13 to attract a larger audience.

i saw that post earlier of the screengrab of the yachts in the (steel) harbor. that was great. totally didn't notice that! i will have to say though, as an action fan i did appreciate some of the stunts, specifically the crane-forklift-car lift at the end. there were some good shots in that fight.

all in all, it's a movie i would recommend. i love this podcast, and i want to watch the films along with them. i don't think i could ever sit through a 'gigli' or a 'twilight' movie... but this one i felt was totally worthwhile!!!

and now on to "speed 2: cruise control"

HAHA okay and one more. what, really, is the deal with hammerhead, the bar. is it a heavy metal biker bar? or is it a fancy steakhouse with waiters in tuxedos? it's BOTH! there is a scene where the drunken bikers at one table are physically attacking their waiter, and one of that waiter's coworkers walks past, scoffing, to deliver fine steaks and red wine to some fancy pants customers at the adjacent table!!!

Sign in to follow this