🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
action52

New Front Page Layout

Overall I like it, and I think separating podcasts into categories is a good idea. The one obvious issue is that right now the podcasts are so heavily weighted towards the "comedy" category. Might I suggest that you have subgroups within "comedy"?

My one major gripe is that now there isn't enough room to display the podcasts on the front page. It used to be that you could go on the front page and click on all the podcasts that had been updated in the last few days--it also served as a good way to tell, at a glance, whether irregularly updated podcasts (like I4H "Bonus Cuts") had been posted. But now, there are only 3 comedy podcasts being displayed on the front page in spite of the fact that 5 new podcasts came out in one day! Whetever format you use, I think it's important to make sure you can display all podcasts for that day.

• Like 2

Agree with the above. Layout looks nice but featuring direct links to only 3 Comedy shows on the front page at a time is silly since that's Earwolf's bread & butter. If I was new to this site today (Wednesday), I wouldn't even know Comedy Bang Bang or Professor Blastoff existed.

I also think it's a BIG mistake to not include the names of the guests along with their pics (like it used to be). I don't subscribe to most shows and will only listen to some of them based on who the guests are that week. At least name them in the big yellow box up top.

The names pop up if you hover the mouse cursor over the guest.

• Like 1

I get what they are doing, but I do think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the comedy category. Maybe they just need to spread things out more so that no more than three new ones a day in any category are up. I feel like the forums are suffering too because people don't see them on the front page and don't comment. But I know Earwolf will work out the kinks (if they are really there and I'm not just being a nerd).

• Like 1

Overall I see what they're doing and I like it. I've heard how Jeff wanted to incorperate more than just comedy under the Earwolf Network and the new layout definately shows it.

My only gripes is not the layout itself but the color scheme and how it's incorporated. Gold and gray can work- and I can't really describe what turns it off for me but it just does.

There's a bunch of people one reddit.com/r/web_design/ who would do a better job than me bringing in-depth criticism to the new front page.

Also mees thinks that there's a little tune-up that could be done with the sites CSS but that's just me.

I get what they are doing, but I do think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the comedy category. Maybe they just need to spread things out more so that no more than three new ones a day in any category are up.

Yes please. I am missing on seeing new shows because I am used to checking the front page. And if I miss a day it seems I miss seeing shows on the frontpage. Feature the newest three, but still show us the newest 6 or something like that. Please. This is now two of us, so for our sake, please.

The names pop up if you hover the mouse cursor over the guest.

Yes, and this is one of the things I like. I think part of the reason is to make this site more friendly to people on tablets and smartphones, which is totally a good idea. They just need to work a few kinks out.

And again, I totally get that part of the reason is because they're trying to branch out beyond comedy, but since comedy still makes up a vast majority, they need to work out how to make that work in the interim. Because once they do increase podcasts in other genres, that's only going to make it so even fewer things are being shown on the front page.

It's not an easy thing by any means, because they need to make all their content easily available and navigable.

I agree, aesthetically I like the front page but I feel like I'm missing out on some shows. I guess there was some I4H bonus cuts that I missed.

I would like a way to just see the most recent updates to the Comedy category.

Another little issue: when you put your mouse over the "SHOWS" button, a menu of all the shows automatically rolls out underneath. That's good. Unfortunately, the list is very long and goes below the bottom of my screen. That's bad. And now the number of shows has increased to the point where almost half the shows are off the screen. There has to be a way to make it so that the menu will adjust to screens better, maybe changing into 2 or 3 columns as needed.

Hope I don't sound too negative--I'm just trying to be helpful!

I've started a thread over on Professor Blastoff's subforum, but I might as well mention it here... PB is really getting the short end of this new setup. For some reason Earwolf has decided to release 4-5 podcasts on Tuesday, traditional home of PB. So now, one of Earwolf's best and most venerable shows barely even makes the crawl on the top of the screen, and doesn't even get one day on the main front page. Meanwhile, on Wednesday, only one show (or occasionally two, like today) is released. So the new show gets to hang out on the front page two days.

So why are all the new comedy shows on Tuesday, while other days in the week are pretty well empty? Is Professor Blastoff so strong in listenership that it doesn't need the spotlight of the front page? Can't the shows be rotated in release times or something so PB isn't always the first to be shown, and first to be pushed off the front?

I'm probably the only one who cares. And I'll be honest, if I cared for any of the other podcasts being dumped out on Tuesday I might be less upset... the I4H release yesterday didn't bother me. But I figure if Tig can fight off cancer, I can make a ruckus for her podcast. Also, Kyle's been doing the Trump and Elvis impersonations lately so I sort of owe him.

• Like 1

I'm probably the only one who cares.

You aren't. For those of us loyal fans, it isn't a big deal because we know where to go to find stuff. However for new fans, this could be pretty confusing. Yesterday because of all the shows not only did some not make it on the left side bar, some didn't make it in the scrolling bar on top.

I agree, I think it's time to spread some of the Tuesday stuff out in terms of comedy.

Hmm, just noticed this thread. To add to the comedy overload on tuesday I'll say that even though I'm a regular user and know what's coming out, it means a few more clicks to get to the forums; which is trivial but still something to note. And naturally, as has been mentioned before, it's not good for potential new listeners for PB.

As a suggestion for the front page: the obvious would be to extend the number of shows you display to something like 5. However if your married to the aesthetic dimensions of 3; perhaps you could play with the layout for the non primary episodes like the Tuesday I4H and SC to make them fill out effectively half the size. That way you can still show all of the shows from the past couple days, and also denote to people that those episodes are different and considered extra.

• Like 2

My biggest gripe is the mini-queue at the bottom of the page... I always expect that when I click the "More Comedy" etc. links, that it should go to a recent history of posted shows, but instead it goes to the big alphabetical index. Give us access to at least a week of backlog in those links, and I will be quite a bit happier. The site has a clean and is definitely navigable... while you are in no danger of losing a loyal listener over this, I feel the network's recent content explosion, while awesome, has far outpaced the site's humble layout beginnings.

• Like 4

Yeah it's not really a "you're going to lose listeners" gripe, but I certainly feel it's a "we want to attract new listeners" idea. Also it's just unfair and I tend to get upset about that sort of thing.

With the bonus episodes and other stuff that keeps appearing it does get tough to keep track of what is new, and I'm thinking stuff slips through. As well as the forum participation convenience. Chalkdust has a great point, if the new release isn't in the most-recent three or five, then it's impossible to find in a "recently available" list.

I can see six podcasts being released next Tuesday (HDTGM, Folgenest, Reality Show, I4H bonus, Sklarbro County, PB) and say the I4H bonus ep was the first one posted... it'd never really come to people's attention via Earwolf. Sure, I'd still get it through iTunes, but isn't the whole point of the Earwolf page to be a place other than iTunes where people will discover/enjoy Earwolf shows?

• Like 1

Exactly Sean. At this point you have to assume that many of the new people may not be as tech savvy as dedicated listeners. I came to Earwolf early on when I heard the Sklar Brothers on the Jim Rome show. I didn't know what a podcast was or how to download it. So I came to the site and just listened to their show through my headphones and speakers on my computer, via the site. Then I noticed the new shows popping up each day from other things on Earwolf, and would just click on them and listen. It wasn't until, I want to say it was Jeff on something, mentioned people using their iPod to listen while working out, that I realized I could sync up and have them on the go.

I know that makes me look silly (and was I ever so young?) but that's how many people come into this. Unclear on how it works and easily scared off if it seems hard. Mostly what I fear is that many fans will think, "Oh, I'm not cool enough for this because I don't get it, it's too complicated" and will be scared off.

But you're right, not going to lose a single listener over this, but might not get as many new ones. But I think we all know Earwolf and know if they see a problem they will fix it, or have an overall plan we don't see.

On a side note, it's great to have this problem though for big fans right? Too much content? That's awesome.

Yeah the too much content thing is great, and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about Earwolf's success. I'm very excited about it, Scott Aukerman was my introduction to comedy podcasting years ago with CDR and I'm happy for his success.

I work in a busy poker room / bar, I talk to hundreds of people a week. I wear Earwolf shirts when I am not working. Of all of these hundreds of people I've talked to, only a couple listen to podcasts (or even know what they are) and only one has heard of Earwolf. So like 99% of the population isn't as well informed as we. I like to think Earwolf (and PB in this particular case) are growing, but since those numbers are so invisible it's hard to feel confident.

I hope our commentary will get Jeff and the other guys thinking, maybe find a way to make it a little clearer for the new guys. If it's a bit of a chore for people like me, I can't imagine a newbie would bother to turn off the TV and turn on some pods.

• Like 1

I'm probably the only one who cares.

I've already expressed time and time again that I agree. But, nobody cares to give a shit. So what's the use? I've gotten to the point where I don't even listen to PB using Earwolf anymore. I just use the podcast feature on my smartphone.

Hello everyone!

I am just finding this now. At 2:17am after starting work at 7am (with a live CBB thrown in for fun, to be fair). It's hard to keep track of everything on the forums, but please know this thread was not an instance of ignoring. I'm not complaining, I love what I do and feel really luck to "work" at this all day, but we've outgrown our studio, staff, website...the list goes on and on. We're not as on top of things as I'd like, but we're all working to keep getting better. On to the explanation...

The Tuesday overload...is an unfortunate confluence of things. Sklarbro County, which is fairly new, can't come out on Monday because it's usually recorded on Monday. And can't come out on Wednesday, it's too long after the weekend and too close to Sklarbro Country. So it's Tuesday.

HDTGM has been around longer than PB and has always been on Tuesday. For no particular reason at the time other than it wasn't Monday when we had CBB.

The Reality SHOW Show is the same deal as Sklarbro County - it's recorded on Saturday so that they get the full week of shows to discuss and edited on Monday. Released Tuesday.

i4h's bonus - not ready for Monday, Wednesday is too close to Thursday's release.

Fogelnest Files should probably be moved to another day, maybe Friday. I'll talk to Jake about that.

I love everyone on this thread for caring so much...feel free to email me directly (jeff at) when there is a thread like this and I haven't weighed in on it yet...this stuff is important to me. But don't be mad if it takes me a few days to make it over here, there is way more work involved with keeping things humming and bringing out new shows than you'd think. We are fighting the good fight, I can promise you that.

And stay tuned for a new show we're debuting on Thursday morning (not a normal midnight thing), it's the first ever Funny or Die podcast and it's amazing!

• Like 2

And stay tuned for a new show we're debuting on Thursday morning (not a normal midnight thing), it's the first ever Funny or Die podcast and it's amazing!

Awww! Thanks Jeff for everything you guys do for us. Don't lose any sleep or time with the kiddo over this. I don't think any of us are mad, we just worry that people might miss things with the layout the way it is. You guys are adding so many new shows it is amazing. Congrats on all the expansion. (we love you!!!!)

Coming back to say I like the little tweaks that have been done since I created this. Much clearer and easier to navigate overall.

Also, when I looked on my smartphone there was a different layout that I liked very much--I hope it will become the same way on PCs very soon!

• Like 1

Most/All users should now be seeing the new layout on their desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, warehouse, henhouse, outhouse and steakhouse. Feedback welcome!

• Like 2

Most/All users should now be seeing the new layout on their desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, warehouse, henhouse, outhouse and steakhouse. Feedback welcome!

I already really liked the new pictures on the front page, but the gif of Sharknado BLEW MY MIND! You guys just took a huge leap forward in being attractive to first time users. Just looks great.

The new layout is great. You didn't change what didn't need to be changed, but fixed the lingering issues (like some new episodes not being displayed easily). Looks very clean. Thanks!