🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 10 — Sports

The grizzled veteran and rookie father welcome actor/writer/father Jerry Collins to his very first podcast on this week’s Love, Dad! Jerry tells us about being involved with his son’s love for sports, how he deals with dads who live through their kids, and gives us his take on the anti-competitive structure of children's sports. Plus, Dave & Jeff talk to Jerry about play-dates, children’s health, and nutrition.

Jerry pretty much summed it up with, "I'm a mess". That is the motto for fatherhood.

• Like 1

Needed a good laugh today guys out here in Denver. Driving my kids and wife around to pick out Halloween costumes, I put this on. My wife laughed pretty hard at the discussion on sugar in the house and how David had eliminated it all.

"And what about your house Jerry?"

"Oh, we live in a See's Candy."

Great stuff. Also, my wife (who is a vegan God help me) really liked the thing about not buying food if it isn't touching a wall. At first I was super annoyed with you for that Jeff...then I realized that the chip isle at our local grocery is on a wall.

Now...to get them to move the beverage isle over there as well. (PS-The locked cage of cigarettes touches the front wall. May I eat them?).

Another great show guys! Thanks!

OH! PPS: Can you please tackle how to get your kids to be thinking about safety and stranger danger without ruining their child hoods? Struggling with this today in light of what's happened out here this week. Thanks!

OH! PPS: Can you please tackle how to get your kids to be thinking about safety and stranger danger without ruining their child hoods? Struggling with this today in light of what's happened out here this week. Thanks!

What happened?

What happened?

Last Wednesday a 10 year old girl walked three blocks from her house to where a group of kids was waiting to walk to school (like she does each day). Never made it. Last night they found a body in a park but are having trouble identifying it (I won't go into details why). The authorities have ruled out the family.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21748319/jessica-ridgeway-search-westminster-police-plan-6-45

Last Wednesday a 10 year old girl walked three blocks from her house to where a group of kids was waiting to walk to school (like she does each day). Never made it. Last night they found a body in a park but are having trouble identifying it (I won't go into details why). The authorities have ruled out the family.

http://www.denverpos...olice-plan-6-45

Oh boy. Okay, thanks for letting me know. Sorry to hear that Lukas.

Oh boy. Okay, thanks for letting me know. Sorry to hear that Lukas.

Bummer topic, I know, but I would love to hear David's take a veteran and your thoughts as a rookie. I've got a 3 and a 2 myself and just don't know how to make sure they are safe without making them fearful of the world at large.

• Like 1

i loved Jerry's comment about his kids behaving 90% of the time, as in: good for 9 minutes, then misbehaving the 10th. that's the biggest challenge i have with my kids...except mine will play nicely with each other for about 3 minutes, and the other 7 are antagonizing each other.

i'm starting to try a variation of what Jerry did to deal with his son not trying hard enough in his sports. i told my older son that if he's not behaving, i'm not going to talk to him. this morning, he was procrastinating and not getting dressed, and i tried ignoring him, and sure enough, within 2 minutes he got himself dressed!

Bummer topic, I know, but I would love to hear David's take a veteran and your thoughts as a rookie. I've got a 3 and a 2 myself and just don't know how to make sure they are safe without making them fearful of the world at large.

Those stories scare and chill me to my core. I decided long ago that the best thing to do is talk to your children about the dangers without the gruesome details (depending on their age) Most importantly, as a parent, you HAVE to assume that everybody wants to abduct and/or molest your children. And then plan accordingly. Don't let them be in situations where an individual can have that opportunity. This means relatives and good friends! Don't let anyone else know you are this paranoid but keeping that in mind will prevent you from letting your 8yo run off to use the bathroom at a Chuck E Cheese on their own where a predator could be hanging out in a stall. Ugh.

• Like 1

I'm a little late at listening to this podcast, because I've been busy these past few weeks, but I just want to let you guys know that I really enjoyed the conversation on this podcast. In my opinion, it wasn't as informative as you guys would hope, but it was really entertaining to listen to; there were a lot of good laughs. Keep the podcasts coming and you're sure to have at least one loyal listener. Keep up the good work.

That's some heavy stuff, Lukas. But it brings to light a different light of parenting than I personally think much about; the role of protector. I spend so much of my time thinking about loving and snuggling my little girl, but I also need to consider the fact that we raise our kids in a scary world. Definitely a topic I'd like to hear discussed.