🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kingsley_zissou

Popeye (1980)

The 1980 adaptation of the 1930's cartoon about an ornery sailor. Here's a few wonderful facts about this film.

450.JPG

• Directed by the legendary Robert Altman and produced by the incomparable Robert Evans, who got into fistfights on the set
  • Written by the satirical cartoonist Jules Feiffer
  • Robin Williams at one of the peaks of his popularity
  • The forearm prostethics
  • The abandoned child
  • Shelly Duvall in the role she was fucking born to play
  • Ray Walston as his hate-filled father
  • The singing
  • Sweethaven, a mind-boggling amalagam of Kafka, 19th century aesthetics, and 70's set design
  • Strange racial undertones amongst the supporting characters
  • The fact that it was an allegory for Vanderbilt's control of steamboat transportation in New York, with Sweethaven standing in for Staten Island.
  • Animatronic octopus
  • Backflips
  • BACKFLIPS

This trailer captures the madness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zruD3vzHxu0

ohhh I adore this movie so much. I've seen it more times than I can count, I had a really huge obsession with Shelly Duvall when I was a kid because of this movie, her fairytale tv show, and Mother Goose's Rockin' Rhyme

I sing this song kind of all the time...

I recall reading that there was some kind of controversy when I think Robert Evans was caught bringing cocaine into Malta where the movie was being shot. I take it it comes across on film that there were a lot of drugs involved.

Also, I haven't seen it (though I'm sure my siblings think I have and that I just don't remember), but I just love the idea of a Robert Evans-produced, Robert Altman-directed family musical with people like Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall in the leads. Nothing about that fits together at all.

ohhh I adore this movie so much. I've seen it more times than I can count,

Me too. Fantastic movie. Great music.

I watched this movie all the time as a kid, and I loved it, but I very much doubt it would still hold up if I watched it now.

Still sing that Shelley Duvall song from time to time though...

Sign in to follow this