🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 74 — Star Trek

Hey Blastronauts! Our resident researcher Aaron Burrell has taken up Tig’s challenge to talk for a full hour by himself on today’s very special episode all about Star Trek! Join Aaron as he gives us some history on Gene Roddenberry, discusses the many themes of the show such as immortality, describes how Star Trek has influenced much of today’s technology, explores the arc of Deep Space Nine, and tries to use several Words of The Day along the way.

All I could think about while reading this episode description was Maron's intro "Are we doing this? Really?"

This is going to be a strange listen, but I'm oddly excited about it.

• Like 1

Now, Aaron I know you love wife, but I have to say you and my sister would have been perfect for one another had you not met your wife. Growing up my sister was OBSESSED with Star Trek and ESPECIALLY Star Trek the Next Generation. She had the BIGGEST crush on Datalore. You're not alone on nerding out on Star Trek.

Great job on your solo.

As much as I love sci-fi, I don't care much for Star Trek. But I do like Aaron and it was fun to hear him completely unwrangled for an hour. I'm glad you had the chance for this, and I did enjoy that misogyny bit. Good times, Morbot.

Aaron is sweetest. he had some pretty big shoes to fill and he's the only one who has ever done it completely alone! Job well done, I say.

I love the Aardroid, but I do need my KT&D-fix this week!

Hope Tig is fine. She did say it was her "dying wish" to have Aaron hosting an episode all by himself...

This is either going to be amazing, or the worst thing ever. Or both. I have no interest in Star Trek at all, but I can't wait to listen to this.

this makes me so happy! Aaron, please please please go back to college and get your PhD in science fiction philosophy.

I love his "first day of school"-style photo on the show page.

• Like 1

I think the funniest part of this episode was the photos of Aaron alone in the studio.

• Like 4

After listening to the episode in its entirety, Tig responded: "Can we edit that out?"

• Like 4

Hey thanks for listening to my episode! If you are dying to read more from those sources I quoted during the episode here they are:

Gene Roddenberry Bio:

http://www.roddenberry.com/corporate-gene-biography

The Ethics of Star Trek by Barad & Robertson:

http://philosophynow.org/issues/34/The_Ethics_of_Star_Trek_by_Barad_and_Robertson

Warp Drive :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/warp-drive-star-trek-feasible_n_1890679.html

The Prime Directive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive#Text

• Like 3

Nice job, Aaron. You managed to keep me interested despite being one person talking for an hour about a subject that I don't really like. I'm not trying to play "Gotcha", but I do have a question relating to your discussion of the Prime Directive. Obviously technology and religion are different, but philosophically speaking, how do you reconcile your endorsement of the Prime Directive (i.e. leaving other cultures alone to develop on their own rather than introducing something that could hep them) with the practice of Mormon missions?

• Like 1

I don't think I could have enjoyed this more. I loved everything about it. Way to go Aaron and way to go PB and Earwolf for having the guts to support him doing it.

• Like 1

Nice job, Aaron. You managed to keep me interested despite being one person talking for an hour about a subject that I don't really like. I'm not trying to play "Gotcha", but I do have a question relating to your discussion of the Prime Directive. Obviously technology and religion are different, but philosophically speaking, how do you reconcile your endorsement of the Prime Directive (i.e. leaving other cultures alone to develop on their own rather than introducing something that could hep them) with the practice of Mormon missions?

Thanks and excellent question! Having taken philosophy classes in Utah, this is definitely an topic of debate that has come up often, but never framed around the concept of Star Treks' Prime Directive until now. In my experience, Mormon missionaries are on a two year mission (not 5 like Kirk) to seek out those who would be receptive to their message. It would be counter productive to force theology and ideologies, which are heavily based on free will, on anyone. That is why Mormon missionaries invite people to listen, but would never force people to listen.

They'll also help you move out of an apartment or paint your shed, if you ask them to.

I hope that answers your question, thanks again!

• Like 1

Having taken philosophy classes in Utah, this is definitely an topic of debate that has come up often, but never framed around the concept of Star Treks' Prime Directive until now.

Get out!

(Incidentally, is anyone here familiar with the Pop Culture and Philosophy book series? I recently became aware of this and it seems interesting, and of particular interest to Blastronauts. Well, wouldn't you know it, there is a Star Trek edition, which you can buy on Amazon and support Earwolf! http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Philosophy-Popular-Culture/dp/0812696492/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350437330&sr=8-1&keywords=philosophy+star+trek)

Anyway, thanks for answering. Admittedly I'm not really familiar with the Prime Directive, and I wasn't thinking of it in terms of forcing anything on anybody so much as introducing them to new things, so maybe that was just a misunderstanding on my part. But I can definitely see how religious conversion would take more teaching/learning/deciding than something like technology where you can see an obvious, immediate benefit.

Great job, Aaron! I can't think of a more daunting challenge. It is great that the gang let Aaron have an episode to himself. And I love what he did.

As I have listened to myself on two Blastoff podcasts, I cringed with every "uh" and "um" and, yes, "gulp". The pros make it sound so effortless and they make you think that anyone can do it as well as they can. There is a real skill and talent to talking, making sense and sounding natural doing it. And to be funny on top of that is beyond beyond.

I have dealt with Aaron a few times via email and he has always been supportive of me, even thought it's obvious I am just a fan who loves the show and is trying to hang with the cool kids. I envy Aaron for taking the risk to follow his dream and for the great job he does with his comedy, on the podcast and in handling the joshing with good nature.

Having said all that, I couldn't help thinking of Tig, Kyle and David replaying this episode to comment on Aaron's performance.

Love to all the #PBOparty people (Eva and Megan, especially). Everyone should check out the #PBOparty twitter feed to see the funny and sweet comments they made about this episode. And join the #PBOparty!

Welp (gulp), that's been comment.

• Like 2

After listening to the episode in its entirety, Tig responded: "Can we edit that out?"

I can picture this.

Sign in to follow this