🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 6 — ROCK!!!!!!

Rock legend Eli Braden drops by to talk about the world of ROCK!!!!!! on today’s in-studio edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Eli tells us about his involvement with the Howard Stern Show, plays a song he pitched to Ted Nugent, and shares a clip of him smoking the competition as a child on the game show D.B.’s Delight. Eli & Jake discuss Rock with some clips such as; Manakin on The Jerry Lewis Telethon, Al Jarreau’s music video for “Mornin’,” and KISS.

Yeah I'm having a tough time thinking of anybody cooler than Phil Lynott. And that @DaBoysAreBack twitter account is amazing.

• Like 1

A mash up of a couple comments I saw from the "Pink Floyd" vid.............Stink Floyd singing Uncomfortably Numb.

• Like 1

I want to see a one night only performance of The Wall, the full entire production, but with that band. Although the singer might stumble off the top.

If you watch the end of that Manakin video you hear that the announcer says, "we will hear more from Manakin in a little while", which leads me to believe there is at least one more recorded song out there somewhere. For the love of the Fogelnest Files, please someone find this recording!

The Manakin tape was amazing! I was mesmerized the entire video.

However the Pink Floyd cover just sort of bummed me out. Like...a lot. I feel like every guy I went to high school with, that still lives back home, is in that band.

I would listen to Jake and Eli talking over entire Billy Joel albums.

• Like 1

Does anyone else want to like, I don't know, start some sort of fund to kick off finding the Manakin album?

All jokes aside, this show fucking kills. And I want that album.

• Like 1

I know there has been a lot of research done on the Manakin video, but has anyone found the lead singers facebook page? I did!!

https://www.facebook....williams.7792/

definatlely mentions his "forgotten past" in his photo albums.

The main source of Manakin research, Ned Raggett has reached out to me on Twitter! He's in touch with the lead singer! He is a preacher in Hawaii. Here's extensive blogs Ned has has written about Manakin's history:

http://nedraggett.wordpress.com/2008/09/06/in-search-of-manakin/

http://nedraggett.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/in-continuing-search-of-manakin/

http://nedraggett.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/manakin-iii-the-butch-patrick-connection/

Might have to get Ned in for a special episode!

• Like 6

i realize we've found the manakin guy but i actually found a neat little article by judy zee wrote about them on may 14th 1981.

i found it pretty interesting, i thought i would share it- regardless.

http://www.tvparty.com/homeroom1/5-14-81.html

here it is.

PZ Connection

Judy Zee writes with

her partner Punkasso.

Will they ever agree?

May 14, 1981

"Welcome back Manakin for an unannounced performance on April 14th at Club 88" ran a Man from Uncle-like psychedelic coded message in Showtime. With crystal clear, technologically clean melodic instrumentation; and Brent's expressive vocals- this ensemble has been swaying Los Angeles audiences consistently.

So we showed up for this one. Manakin has been missing in action for four months already, and friends and fans were getting restless.

Opening with "Manakin-land", you enter their cartoon. Brent par usual, is carried, a frozen full sized human doll, onto center stage. Then, they start in with their Temptations-like stage presence savoring 60's-ish black vogue. The pace is upbeat, integrated and intense.

Manakin sounds fuller than ever, much of it do to the addition of a thoroughly appropriate bouncing keyboard/synthesist.

The untabulated eloquence of "Children of Paradise" as well as "Just a Dream" never fails to sway Ms. Zee, tumbling into the imagination of what really could be; strongly grasped romantic ideals, seen through rose colored glasses waltzing to the cadence of human aspiration; stretching towards the near perfection we all feel at times. Manakin nearly composes these utopias merely through sound.

"Bridges on the Other Side", joyfully rhythmic, breaks on through the windows of Reggae, reminding one of "Dangerous Rhythm" (one of Ultravox's most overlooked songs, 2nd album).

Punkasso gives a description of the Club 88 dance floor at this point: false manakin puppeteers prolificate on the floor in a Devoesque bath of the 60's, it was such a cliche I could hardly move.

I wish Manakin was on record already, so that you could hear what I am referring to. No clones these guys. Cream of drums, Guy Epstein shoots off sparks, snaking round the set. On bass you've got Andre. The keyboardist is Chas Coleman playing a shoulder strap hand held bone like instrument which is hooked up to a sequential circuits Prophet 5. His presence and musicianship are both outstanding. Bob 'Moonstone' Walker's running liquid quarter notes make up the river world of Manakinland, and synchronize like clockwork with the synth.

A couple moments of erotic beats were caught and frozen into a time/space continuum, encompassing the overall experience of the night. The jam was real.

Rock on. -Judy Zee

• Like 1

billy's fellow sextet members (both young and old versions) look like such dopey virgins.

• Like 1

The guys that "did" a "cover" of Comfortably Numb also "did" a "cover" of Cocaine (you also get come great commentary from the people recording it):

Sign in to follow this