🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 12 — Self-Awareness

Author, journalist, and regular contributor for Time Magazine, Joel Stein stops by to guest co-host on this week’s Love, Dad! Joel talks about his boot camp training in preparation to becoming a dad while writing his book “Man Made: A Stupid Quest For Masculinity,” the different concerns that mothers and fathers have, and letting kids be self-aware on how they will be perceived by their peers. Plus, Joel helps solve Jeff’s issue with not spending enough time with his daughter.

Joel pretty much has the fatherhood thing broken down to a science. I would have to agree with all of the points he made, except for the fact that its too late to have another one. You definatley don't know who your kid is until they get around all of the other kids. You immediately see who the leaders will be and who the followers will be.

Also, for some reason any time I hear the name Lazlo I immediately think Hollyfeld. Does anyone else do the same? (if you get the reference)

My favorite comment from this week came from Joel "Very few people complain that their parents were dirt poor, most just complain that they weren't around." That's something I think we all need to remember.

There was also a bit of talk about gender roles, and how men and women express themselves differently, and I definitely think time dedication falls in under that. For instance, I'll do something and be very proud and say "Look at all the time I spent on this thing for you!" And that's how I show my love for my family. Sometimes, though, my wife would rather spend an afternoon with me then have a new walk way put in the back yard.

• Like 1

Whoa, hey, so if I submit a clean joke of the week, Mr. Koechner will evaluate it and send me an e-mail letting me know how I did? I gotta get on that.

Hey, yeah! Can we start a "Clean Joke" thread? Cheesy jokes are some of my favorite jokes!

I can not recommend highly enough, not working from home. Since deciding to get rid of the office and just use my home office, my productivity has dropped horribly. If my kids or wife know I'm in the house, they want to see me (the kids mainly) and I them.

You know, it's interesting you mention working from home, Lukas. I'm starting back into school in January (I know, starting classes a month before my kid arrives isn't the best timing in the world), but I'll be working part time in order to reduce the amount of time she's in day care. I thought that as an infant it might be more possible to be productive then say a 4 or 5 year old. Is this true, or am I setting myself up for a headache? Any tips or tricks to make it easier?

Sign in to follow this