🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 16 — Yikes Ahoy!

"Can we decide that you're not offended?"

This was so spot on.

I'm confused by the claim of predictability. What do you mean by "average joe?" Are you saying you'd prefer a discussion between someone who has some racist ideas? I am genuinely curious.

Gypped is racist? Seriously? You do realize that gypsies are not a race or a nationality but are a culture of people that have factions throughout the world that are defined by a shared history of nomadic communalism that has traditionally survived on flim-flammery and grift. That there are people today who call themselves "gypsies", whether they actually live in such a commune or merely claim the ancestry, who are not criminals is irrelevant and claiming offense at the term would be like the Gotti kids taking umbrage at the term "mobbed".

P.S. Thanks for taking my advice 27 days before I gave it (after listening to Episode 1 a few hours ago). The long form show is much better.

Gypped is racist? Seriously? You do realize that gypsies are not a race or a nationality but are a culture of people that have factions throughout the world that are defined by a shared history of nomadic communalism that has traditionally survived on flim-flammery and grift. That there are people today who call themselves "gypsies", whether they actually live in such a commune or merely claim the ancestry, who are not criminals is irrelevant and claiming offense at the term would be like the Gotti kids taking umbrage at the term "mobbed".

lolwut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiziganism

A brief comment about the Washington Redskins: the name was the focus of a lawsuit. The US Trademark Act says the feds can refuse a trademark if it "consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage" (source); this list has been interpreted to disallow trademarks of racist material. So people sued to have the trademark overturned, which would have been huge: people could then print their own Washington Redskins apparel and sell it without approval from the team, the NFL, or anyone else.

Apparently, the lawsuit was lost on a technicality, as the Native Americans who filed suit waited too long (source). But the actual basis of the case was not ruled on, and it's possible that the suit may be refiled at some point.

Sign in to follow this