🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
choochoo_the_wonder_slut

Mazes and Monsters (1982)

This hasn't already been suggested? Really? Wow.

Mazes and Monsters is a 1982 made-for-TV movie directed by Steven Hilliard Stern about a group of college students and their interest in a fictitious role-playing game (RPG) of the same name. The movie starred a 26-year-old Tom Hanks in his first major leading film role.

MazesMonstersVHSCover.jpg

Full movie is on Youtube in 10min parts

MV5BMjAzNjYxNzc2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2NTMyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

This was a TV movie made in 1979 and the whole thing is on YouTube. It is not just terrible, it is hilariously terrible. The whole thing is a hit piece on dorky role playing games and is a product of the "there are actually Satanists who are out to get you" vibe of the 1980s.

If you want a taste, watch this clip of Hanks losing his mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6AOd6r6Qi8

• Like 1

Oh and I totally ripped this off from Clancy in the NP forums

I thought Hanks was doing OK... until "WHAT AM I DOING HERE!" He looked like he was wearing a mask made of his own flesh and fat.

This is perfect. Would be great to get Brian Posehn as a guest for this. Unfortunately not on the voting site though.

As mentioned though all available on youtube, and insane on so many levels, and far beyond just the D&D hallucination stuff. There's the guy wearing a different hat in every scene, his bedroom that his mom redecorates so that it looks like its an insane asylum, unbelievably sexist dialogue where a mom and daughter talk about how much better their lives would be with men in them, parents accusing each other of being drunk out of nowhere. A bizarre, out of place love song that plays over the opening credits...all of this is within the first 10 minutes as well.

MV5BMjAzNjYxNzc2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2NTMyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

This was a TV movie made in 1979 and the whole thing is on YouTube. It is not just terrible, it is hilariously terrible. The whole thing is a hit piece on dorky role playing games and is a product of the "there are actually Satanists who are out to get you" vibe of the 1980s.

If you want a taste, watch this clip of Hanks losing his mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6AOd6r6Qi8

It's like "Reefer Madness" for the RPG set!

Please for the love of God REVIEW THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!

Tom Hanks just shines in this film. His performance is just exquisite.

• Like 1

oh baby hanks I can't believe he's 26 here I would've thought like 20 max.

This was made based on a book that was based on a various newspaper articles of the time that connected D & D to Satanism, the book itself was batshit insane, but because Satanic fear was a growing trend they made this hunk of shit.

This was made based on a book that was based on a various newspaper articles of the time that connected D & D to Satanism, the book itself was batshit insane, but because Satanic fear was a growing trend they made this hunk of shit.

They wrote the book in a little less than a month in order to capitalize in the hysteria going around the 80's.

What's funny is that in the last couple years there have been a few movies released based on the Satanic Scare of the 80s like Dark Places and Regression, and all of them are ridiculous.

What's funny is that in the last couple years there have been a few movies released based on the Satanic Scare of the 80s like Dark Places and Regression, and all of them are ridiculous.

Yeah, they're bad movies because they posit that there actually *was* a Satanic force behind that moral panic. That hoax ruined actual lives like the West Memphis Three, and I don't like the idea of even fictional films saying that Satanic ritual abuse happened.

• Like 2

Dark Places at least pointed out the Satanic angle was a fallback cause to blame a killed for what happened, until the ending said that it wasn't the case. Regression was a bullshit movie anyway and its ending just added to the confusion.

Please for the love of God REVIEW THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!

Tom Hanks just shines in this film. His performance is just exquisite.

Would you call it, "exquisite acting?"

Sign in to follow this