🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
R2DC3PO

The Man with the Iron Fists

So I saw this over the weekend and while I don't want to fuck wit the RZA, this has to be the worst film I've seen all year. The fights are terrible, the story makes no sense, and the acting is so bad it becomes almost a redeeming quality. The story is set in China but it seems like the RZA learned everything he knows about China from old kung fu flicks, PF Changs, and Disney's "Mulan." It's also surprisingly gory, probably because it was co-written by Eli Roth.

The real highlight of the film is Russell Crowe, who goes absolutely nuts in a way that I haven't seen since Marlon Brando in "The Island of Doctor Moreau." He spends about the first half of the movie in a Chinese brothel:

iron_fist_russell_crowe.jpg?w=630

I don't know if I would go so far as to say this movie might be the kung fu equilvalent of "The Room," but I have yet to see another mainstream action/kung fu film that that even comes close to this level of terrible insanity.

I think this will be a great addition to "How Did This Get Made?"! Bad acting, terrible script, completely ridiculous and makes (almost) no sense whatsoever.

WOW yes this is a prime candidate - it is one of the worst movies I have seen in the last 10 years and its just awful on nearly every level.

Just pointless, the man with the iron fists just mumbles about nonsense, some of the worst costumes, humans who don't seem to act or react like any humans actually would.

Editing, writing, oh man this is a piece of garbage on fire.

And the odd thing - this has a few decent Western actors and quite a few very good Chinese actors and actresses!

yet,

It's so bad it's an insult to China. I mean seriously - this movie was offensive to China's culture and people. It was really that bad.

See, I kinda liked this movie. I thought the fight scenes were the only redeeming quality. I like the RZA, but the fatal flaw in this movie was casting himself as the lead. He cannot act. He should have gone to Spike Lee route and give himself a small bit because that is alot to carry --- he acted and directed this movie. I thought he did a better job of directing.

Holy crap this movie is nuts. What did Russel Crow do to have to make this movie. And yes RZA, we know the Wu Tang Clan loves kung fu movies, but that doesn't mean you have to make and star in your own.

See, I kinda liked this movie. I thought the fight scenes were the only redeeming quality. I like the RZA, but the fatal flaw in this movie was casting himself as the lead. He cannot act. He should have gone to Spike Lee route and give himself a small bit because that is alot to carry --- he acted and directed this movie. I thought he did a better job of directing.

i love rza and agree - his scenes had the, uh, most dramatic weight, i guess, and he had no chance of keeping up. i had fun with this movie but i still know it's not very good at all and if i didn't already like rza and wu-tang i may not have been able to finish it.

not that i didn't really enjoy Doughy Russell Crowe.

also shout out to op for greatest use of thread tags, 2013.

• Like 1

Oh and Russell Crowe is in yellow face and says "I Rike it."

i love rza and agree - his scenes had the, uh, most dramatic weight, i guess, and he had no chance of keeping up. i had fun with this movie but i still know it's not very good at all and if i didn't already like rza and wu-tang i may not have been able to finish it.

not that i didn't really enjoy Doughy Russell Crowe.

He was not charismatic in this movie because he doesn't have a charismatic personality, even on stage, he's not that great. He's a beatmaker, a DJ, and behind-the-scenes type of guy. He should have put Michael Jai White in this role. Then this movie would have a been great!

Thankfully no, but he has a bonkers scene where he guts a guy with a motorized bowie knife and then gives a speech about how he's on vacation while spinning in a circle and as I stated he goes undercover in yellowface, but doesn't need it at all since people know he's at the brothel.

This movie was the disappointment of the year for me, because it really seemed like something that was exactly my cup of tea. I love kung-fu films, I loved the aesthetic they were going for. Iron fists, a guy who turns into metal, seemed like it was going to be awesome. But this movie was so dull to me and RZA was such a terrible leading man. With action/martial arts movies I will forgive almost any flaw if it at least delivers on the action sequences, but personally I felt like this movie didn't even do that. The fight choreography was really mediocre and I didn't feel like there was any intensity in any of the battles. If this movie had a different director, choreographer, and star it could've been great.

• Like 1

I know what you mean Thestray, I wanted to see this film up on tell noticing on the poster Quentin Tarantino presents. Now I love Quentin Tarantino make no bones about it. but I would best money he had nothing to do with this movie. they did the same trick with other directors in the past too, Alfred Hitchcock is a classic messed with name used to sell crap movies that he had nothing to do with. it's an old studio trick. that and from the "producers of" in small writing. likey they're solely responsible for the movie being a hit.

rza and quentin have worked together before, im sure quentin was "involved" in some capacity. whether or not that capacity extended beyond "sure, you can put my name on the poster," i dont know.

http://www.imdb.com/...tt_faq_1#.2.1.1

according to IMDB, in the films FAQ, I found this.

"The "Quentin Tarantino presents" banner is a marketing ploy designed to attract viewership. Tarantino is closely associated with both RZA and Eli Roth, both professionally and personally, so he was no doubt happy to lend his name to the picture to help out his friends. But he had little direct involvement in the making of this film. He is not credited as director, writer, producer nor executive producer."

So there we got we are both right. we are winnners!!!

This movie was the disappointment of the year for me, because it really seemed like something that was exactly my cup of tea. I love kung-fu films, I loved the aesthetic they were going for. Iron fists, a guy who turns into metal, seemed like it was going to be awesome. But this movie was so dull to me and RZA was such a terrible leading man. With action/martial arts movies I will forgive almost any flaw if it at least delivers on the action sequences, but personally I felt like this movie didn't even do that. The fight choreography was really mediocre and I didn't feel like there was any intensity in any of the battles. If this movie had a different director, choreographer, and star it could've been great.

I agree with you on the star part. The RZA just can't act, especially not well enough to carry an entire movie. I think he did an ok job directing though

This movie really sucked. I watched this on Netfliz last week, and was completely disgusted. Thanks for making all of the women in your movie prostitutes RZA! The gore was knarly and tasteless. I don't think Russel Crowe is a good actor, but I thought a little better of Lucy Liu - and I imagine neither of these actors needed to do this movie. What were they thinking?

This movie really sucked. I watched this on Netfliz last week, and was completely disgusted. Thanks for making all of the women in your movie prostitutes RZA! The gore was knarly and tasteless. I don't think Russel Crowe is a good actor, but I thought a little better of Lucy Liu - and I imagine neither of these actors needed to do this movie. What were they thinking?

... Were you seriously expecting taste from a movie called "The Man with the Iron Fists?"

I was so surprised that this movie is not listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOXnTZsaMq0

Let me start by listing some credits...

Story by: THE RZA

Screenplay by: THE RZA

Directed by: THE RZA

Soundtrack by: THE RZA

Starring: THE RZA

artworks-000064310768-6dp1g1-crop.jpg?30a2558

This Wu Tang Clan member nuthing ta f' with, but he basically pulls a Citizen Cain by writing, directing, and staring in his own kung-fu wet dream.

This movie is completely insane, and a joy to watch. It has warrior clans with crazy eyebrows. Warriors with names like Crazy Hippo. The action scenes are so crazy and over the top, stunt workers were getting hurt left and right during the film. Pam Grier plays the RZA's mother. "But," you ask "Does it have Russell Crow fishing anal beads out of a prostitute in a bathtub with his mouth?" Well, I hate to give out spoilers, but maybe this link might be of interest. https://www.youtube....h?v=a51n7OfsZsw

I just had a cough. It might be nothing, or it might be cancer. I can't know for sure. But if I were to die I would beg the Make A Wish people to ask HDTGM guys to do this movie. If only to hear Jason Mantzoukas' response to that scene, Please, guys, don't let me down.

This movie was a labor of love. The RZA spent two years working on the script. The producers say "imagined every tribe, every fighting style, every costume." The first cut of the film was four hours long! RZA was so disgusted at having to trim down his baby that he stormed out of the editing.

I think Orson would be proud.

tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

"This movie is completely insane and a joy to watch" is pretty much my opinion of this movie as well. It's not exactly the most clean and professionally made film, but fuck it, I love it. It's a passion project from RZA, who is a fascinating and brilliant human so that makes this movie worth seeing, especially for someone as film-nerdy as myself (and a fan of Wu-Tang and martial arts movies to boot).

russel must have had a lot of fun filming this

i like the song with the black keys as well

Sign in to follow this