🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Hahasawfish5588

Darkman (1990)

Liam Neeson and Sam Raimi team up for the most amazingly bad super hero movie I've seen in a long time! I came across this in Redbox (the movie came out in 1990) and I'm so glad I found it! Here is the link to the trailer

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>

If you want to see the full version I guess check Redbox lol or it's also on Netflix.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this one today. I wouldn't call it amazingly bad as I think it's pretty freakin' awesome. It's done in a similar spirit to Army of Darkness. It feels like Raimi's demo reel for Spiderman. Tons of stuff to chew on for the show. It's weird to think that just a few years later its two stars would be A-listers (Neeson & McDormand).

• Like 3

I even liked the sequels with Arnold Vosloo.

they made sequels ?

I like Liam Neeson. any movie with him in it, I'll watch.

they made sequels ?

I like Liam Neeson. any movie with him in it, I'll watch.

Yeah, the sequels were pretty much straight to HBO, I think.

Yeah, the sequels were pretty much straight to HBO, I think.

Straight to video and released out of order. The third one with Jeff Fahey is all kinds of wonderful.

I remember being so disappointed when I saw this film because the concept seemed to be everything I wanted to see in a film - graphic novel / superhero type setting but an antihero with a bit of jekyll and hyde thrown in, darker and bloodied than this kind of thing is normally told.

In the end I found it too screwball and incoherent, and the whole pastiche of old Universal horror that he was going for just made the effects and acting seem shit. I know this is a matter of taste because a lot of what I hated is what a lot of people loved.

I think more movies need a moment where the Hero emerges from a manhole and just happily shouts "fuck you".

The new Star Wars was definitely screaming for a moment like that.

• Like 2

This wasn't so bad as it was indicative of Raimi's style in the early 90s. The montage scenes, the scene where it's obviously a dummy of Ted Raimi is hanging out of a manhole when it gets hit by a car, and the over the top villains (hello one-legged guy with a gun in his prosthetic limb), are just what he was doing a lot of at that time. It wasn't until he did A Simple Plan that he modified how me made his films, before going back with the first Spider-Man film.

• Like 2

This wasn't so bad as it was indicative of Raimi's style in the early 90s. The montage scenes, the scene where it's obviously a dummy of Ted Raimi is hanging out of a manhole when it gets hit by a car, and the over the top villains (hello one-legged guy with a gun in his prosthetic limb), are just what he was doing a lot of at that time. It wasn't until he did A Simple Plan that he modified how me made his films, before going back with the first Spider-Man film.

Whats even better about machine gun leg guy is that he doesnt even use his own gun. Somebody else just grabs it off him while he hops around.

The transition they use for Frances Mcdormand after Liam Neeson "dies" is fucking crazy, she's like walking down the street and then just transforms and teleports into his funeral wearing her mourning dress.

Whats even better about machine gun leg guy is that he doesnt even use his own gun. Somebody else just grabs it off him while he hops around.

The transition they use for Frances Mcdormand after Liam Neeson "dies" is fucking crazy, she's like walking down the street and then just transforms and teleports into his funeral wearing her mourning dress.

I actually liked that because it was a pretty smooth transition. It was used to an even better effect in the Saw movies where they would literally create hybrid scene sets to where they could practically create the transitions between scenes without editing.

I actually liked that because it was a pretty smooth transition. It was used to an even better effect in the Saw movies where they would literally create hybrid scene sets to where they could practically create the transitions between scenes without editing.

I'd almost love to see them go overboard and go full Birdman and have all their transitions happen similarly.

I definitely like this movie, but I also definitely think it would make a great HDTGM episode. It's so insane it would give the hosts plenty to work with.

HHTNBD(How Has This Not Been Done) on HDTGM? The level of Liam's scenery chewing requires exponents! His flip out scene with the cat is reason enough for the HDTGM treatment.

I'm not saying that I'll punch a bunny if this movie isn't selected, but there is one that better be picking out sunglasses to wear around the hutch. "Oh this?? I hopped into the edge of a door, it's nothing!"

To quote one of the hosts, "This movie... is fucking awesome!"  Though I don't consider this to be a bad movie, I can imagine them having a lot of fun talking about it.

Seeing Liam Neeson in roles like this and High Spirits makes me bummed that most of his career has been significantly more dramatic roles. Because he's amazing in both of those movies and really show how much range he has an actor.