🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 33 — Racist Sports Announcers

Andrew Ti schools special guest Jenny Slate on why sports announcers are the worst people. They talk about how black athletes are usually compared to animals more than white athletes, why Jenny didn’t care about the Olympics this time around, and Brett Favre’s dick. Call (323) 389-RACE to ask us a question and try to be less creepy or don’t.

There was a episode of "The League" that kind of hit on this where they went through all of the code words that sports announcers use for different races --

"scrappy, technical, smart" = White

"class act" = Black people that sports announcers like

"firebrand, hot pepper" = Latino

"inscrutable" = Asian

"freaks of nature, physically dominating" = Black

"thugs" = Black people that sports announcers don't like

• Like 2

Meh, I can't think of anything better to call Lebron than "freak of nature"....besides douchebag.

But i think every one that covers football is racist.

Meh, I can't think of anything better to call Lebron than "freak of nature"....besides douchebag.

But i think every one that covers football is racist.

Cleveland shouldn't even have sports teams. Their city sucks ass. May have made sense in the 30s and 40s when all of those factories were open and bustling, but not now. LeBron is following the migration patterns of most people in the country -- moving down South or out West.

It's rarer, but white athletes do get called "freak of nature" and the like. One example of that phrase being thrown around liberally that I can think of off the top of my head was when Brock Lesnar fought in UFC.

• Like 1

It's rarer, but white athletes do get called "freak of nature" and the like. One example of that phrase being thrown around liberally that I can think of off the top of my head was when Brock Lesnar fought in UFC.

It's always unfortunate when the UFC announcers say something like that because a day later it sometimes turns out they aren't so much a freak of nature...as juiced up out of their minds.

Well, yeah, sometimes. Though to be fair, Lesnar never tested positive and I believe he would have been tested for all of his fights since they were all title fights and/or main events.

But to your point, I'm sure that label got applied to Mark McGwire pretty frequently in the late '90s.

Sign in to follow this