🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanSz

Virtuosity (1995)

Denzel in his first full action movie after doing Philadelphia and Crimson Tide, Russel Crowe in one of his first American films and the first time they would act opposite each other. Denzel is a former cop in prison for killing a reporter while Crowe is a computer generated killer used in police simulations, yes he's a computer program. Crowe breaks out of the program using a brainwashed accomplice and technology that creates nanobyte replicas.

This movie is NUTS from Denzel having a robot arm to Crowe having to eat glass in order to heal from wounds, this movie is perfect for HDTGM, especially for their love of robot arms. This movie is also the first feature film that Kaley Cuoco did.

• Like 5

I loved this movie as a kid. It's like "Jonny Mnemonic" meets "Demolition Man." Cameo by Traci Lords, who also contributed to the soundtrack (which is actually a lot better than the film itself).

• Like 2

I will admit that I own all three of these movies as I love guilty pleasure movies. I was joking with a coworker today about how back when Mnemonic was made 32G was seen as a lot of memory and that a smart phone today has more power than the computer that controlled the nuclear defense system in War Games.

And let's not forget the UFC fight in Virtuosity that looks more barbaric than the fights in Gladiator with people fighting inside and outside the cage and women with no tops cheering on everyone.

• Like 1

This definitely needs to be screened. Denzel with dreads. Crowe playing 200 psychopaths all at once. Respectable cast acting out a script written by a five year. Cheesy Virtual reality with a completely batshit insane ending. Prime HDTGM material

Not 200 psychopaths, 666 psychopaths, a fact made to make him seem more menacing but was just glossed over in the movie.

I love this movie, it's my secret guilty pleasure. I admit that the soundtrack has a better plot line than the actual movie, but the acting is good. The story is crazy with a capital 'k'. I really do want someone to tell me how the hell this got made.

I'm sorry, but for some reason no one can get it right in regards to how many killers made up Sid 6.7, one point in the movie listed at 200, IMDB has it at 150, other sources list it as 666. That is an argument that I'd love to hear on the show.

• Like 1

I'm definitely nostalgic for this era of film - the whole 90's, really. So fascinated with far-flung futuristic concepts like "3D", "Virtual Reality" and "The Internet" that they seemingly spit out a whole host of possible HDTGM contenders in about 4 years. "Max Headroom", "The Net", "Lawnmower Man", "Johnny Mnemonic", "Existenz", ... I think "The 13th Floor" was the name of the movie about a building who's titular floor only existed in virtual reality.... and of course, "Virtuosity" here. All of them are so, so outdated and dramatically wrong when it comes to technology, they're fun to look back on and mock, but this one has definitely got the fun "Demolition Man" vibe going on, as GOZU says.

Ridiculous, over the top, fun and crazy outdated... yeah, this would be a great HDTGM movie :)

Also, it would be fantastic for Paul to get Kamau Bell on the podcast for that episode. Since Scheer has to know about Bell's show on his (Scheer's) Wolfpop network, "Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time PERIOD", lol.

Anyway, I'm putting the trailer up here since it's not here already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEDdaStz4kw

Plus, early Russell Crowe!

• Like 2

Since The Lawnmower Man was just covered, let's bring this back up since it's made by the same director (Brett Leonard)!

• Like 1

Just heard Baron Vaughan (June's co-star) talk about this on "Denzel Washington Is the Greatest...". Should have him on to defend it like Matt Gourley!

*enjoys destroying people's childhood movies*

I only joined this forum to promote Virtuosity. This movie is completely insane and covers all the HDTGM bases (big budget, ludicrous script, two future Oscar winners, 90s cheese, inexplicable WTF moments). I cannot speak more highly to how wondrously awful this movie is. We should start a grass-roots campaign; the world needs to see this movie.

• Like 3

Guys, it's happening!

So much to look forward to in this one.

• Like 1

Guys, it's happening!

So much to look forward to in this one.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Love this movie, especially the bullshit science that lets sid heal himself using glass.

That was totally legit, it's why Evel Kenievel moved so slowly near the end of his life, he was basically a walking stained glass window by that point.