🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 50.5 — Minisode 50.5

God, I just watched Liz and Dick in preparation for next episode and woooow. And just for reference, I watched the whooooole thing.

You have both my admiration and my pity.

God, I just watched Liz and Dick in preparation for next episode and woooow. And just for reference, I watched the whooooole thing.

I don't even know if that was hilariously or amazingly bad. Just bad. I think there were only two or three times where I laughed at something for being stupid. The rest of the time I just contemplated Lohan's choice of accent and how many years were supposed to have passed from beginning to end. Oh, and why they were in a blackbox sometimes and most of the time not. And also I wondered if Elizabeth Taylor is rolling in her grave.

This is the first time I've watched a movie specifically in preparation for the next episode, so I'm excited for this one!

I really don't know what they're going to have to talk about the whole time. I mentioned that last week, how it wasn't outrageously bad or particularly memorable in any way. It's very repetitive, as they seem to be breaking up and getting back together every 2 minutes, and it doesn't seem like there's a story so much as just a bunch of vignettes strung together. It wasn't clever at all when it was trying to be clever (Hey, it's like Lindsay's commenting on herself! GET IT?!?!?), and if anything, it just made me want to watch "Walk Hard" again. EVERYONE should watch "Walk Hard" again.

I just watched this whole movie.

Fuck you, Paul Scheer. What did I ever do to you??

God, I'm going out for a drink.

Are the t-shirts themselves some hilariously meta joke as well? Did he actually make any shirts? I sort-of twigged it was a joke interview as soon as Woliner said that Jay Leno was a beloved late night figure, but joke interviews are often required to be funny, and that just wasn't.

If the shirts are real, they suck. If they're not, I don't think anyone will be knocking Andy Kaufman off his anti-comedy pedestal any time soon.

Are the t-shirts themselves some hilariously meta joke as well? Did he actually make any shirts? I sort-of twigged it was a joke interview as soon as Woliner said that Jay Leno was a beloved late night figure, but joke interviews are often required to be funny, and that just wasn't.

If the shirts are real, they suck. If they're not, I don't think anyone will be knocking Andy Kaufman off his anti-comedy pedestal any time soon.

Well, to be fair, being any good is not a pre-requisite for being beloved.

I don't know what that interview was supposed to be, but it wasn't funny, and it wasn't about shitty movies. The guy either needs mental help, or he is working really hard on an elaborate unfunny nonjoke.

Because Woliner had a podcast on Earwolf and HDTGM isn't really known for having "characters" on the way CBB does, I approached the interview thinking it was real, but soon realized it was a bit... it just seemed like the bit had no jokes or direction. It seemed to vacillate between attempting to pass as for-real and the utterly ridiculous.

As for 'Liz and Dick'... it is most unfortunate. Both Burton and Taylor were scandal-prone, to be sure, but anyone who's seen something like 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' knows they had some serious fucking talent and intensity to go along with their insanity-prone lifestyles. It would be an actually interesting story if a movie about them was done well, so it kind of pisses me off that such a narrative was crapped out with this.

• Like 1

I think the Virginia Woolf stuff lasted all of 5 minutes in the movie. We see them get the movie, we see them make the movie, and we see Dick NOT win an Oscar, all in one segment. Like I mentioned before, the whole movie just seemed like a bunch of vignettes strung together. Something happens, and then we get thrown right into something else that happens, with no transitions, continuity be damned.

the interview was obviously Paul using the popularity of his podcast to shine a little light on a long-form bit that an old friend of his is doing. if you don't like it, fine, but if you're the kind of comedy fan who enjoys reading fake twitters and comparing chronologies alongside fake company blogs to watch as the joke continues to grow and twist over time then... that sentence isn't even done yet and I've come to the realization that I am one of the very few people who enjoy that sort of thing and the more i try to explain it the sadder I feel about myself.

Goddammit!

I am so not in the mood to self-examine this shit right now. I still have 10 more years of a divorce marathon to make it through.

Reminds me of man on the moon, if it is a happening (I like it). If not...this guy might be on the spectrum...you watch a reality show and you think you have a good business idea?...your disingenuous devotion to being religious reminds me of a recovering jenkem addict...why would anyone care. Again, go all about steve yourself. Awesome podcast.

I really enjoyed the episode and am glad that Paul is looking to make the minisodes longer and more enjoyable. Ya the interview was unexpected but I enjoyed it and am thrilled to see the minisodes grow and evolve. Now that people kind of expect joke interviews if Paul does another one hopefully people will have a different reaction to it.

The bit at the end with your friend was dry and not funny at all. I kept waiting for the punchline but he kept going on and on...I kept waiting for the joke, but there was no payoff.

Also the whole "If you didn't realize it was a joke, then that's the joke, you're the fool." Approach to comedy works only with clever material.

This was a terrible bit, and frankly I had wished it was real, The only true payoff to this bit would to have him be crushed under the weight of his own shirts.

Avoid having him on in the future please, this was pure garbage.

The bit at the end with your friend was dry and not funny at all. I kept waiting for the punchline but he kept going on and on...I kept waiting for the joke, but there was no payoff.

Also the whole "If you didn't realize it was a joke, then that's the joke, you're the fool." Approach to comedy works only with clever material.

This was a terrible bit, and frankly I had wished it was real, The only true payoff to this bit would to have him be crushed under the weight of his own shirts.

Avoid having him on in the future please, this was pure garbage.

I agree with 0% of this comment.

• Like 2